Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Finally got my wheels and tires today. I was going to paint them but decided to just put them on instead. I will look at them for a while, I can always mask them off and paint the outsides.
I like the solid look ... certainly a wheel I notice when I see them (unless dirty).

Whatever Rickson uses for coating has never let me down. Personally I'd leave them and if they start getting to a point where cleaning is difficult ... then consider paint.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Yeah, the wheels look to have a pretty nice paint job. I believe they are actually powder coated, so should last a while. That's why I am hesitant to repaint them as my paint job may not last as long.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #43

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
excellent
can you tell me the diameter of those "hand holes"?
Look small, just as their web site shows...

So are you using duallyvalve long stems, or some sort of extension?

oh, and how much off does that make your speedometer?
Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #44

THOR #5432
Just got to campground 95 miles away and everything rode and drove perfect. It was nice to drive with some peace of mind.

The hand holes are 2" dia. I am using the valve extensions that came with the 16" wheels on the motorhome, so the small holes don't matter. The one on the outer wheel I had to put in the vice and make the angle sharper to get it to come out of the hole. The stems and sensors are easy to get at now unlike with the wheel simulators on the other ones.

My speedometer was off by 2 mph before according to my Garmin. Now it is perfect with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1395.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	7251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1396.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	7252  

Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 AM   #45

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
My speedometer was off by 2 mph before according to my Garmin. Now it is perfect with it.
That's about the difference I've experienced with a getting near 1" diameter increase. Most rigs got closer to actual or simply hopped on the other side a mph error the other way when I've done similar swaps.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #46

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I have struggled with different extensions for so long and feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders since I finally got rid of all of them. I had some rigid ones that finally worked fairly well....but not perfectly.
I guess if I ever do the wheel upgrade I would do the duallyvalve thing...but I really do not want to do that. Ugh.

Oh well, I'm glad at least for you, that yours are working well for you and this is working out well....
Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #47

State: Kentucky
THOR #9341
Hello,

Just curious what you think about your new tires and wheels after using them for a few months?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #48

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
I too am curious, I’m currently saving to buy a set for mine.

mac ‘before July’ gyvr
Old 05-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #49

THOR #5432
The new wheels and tires were awesome for our trip to Florida this winter. It just happens that while there we came across this beauty and bought it. No more weight problem now. Went back 10 yrs in age but we couldn't resist. Only had 27,000 miles on it. They always say to not test drive a DP unless you can buy it and I completely understand now. It is so quiet and the ride is serene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180424_181535099.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	10207  
Old 05-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #50

THOR #7936
Quote:
The new wheels and tires were awesome for our trip to Florida this winter. It just happens that while there we came across this beauty and bought it. No more weight problem now. Went back 10 yrs in age but we couldn't resist. Only had 27,000 miles on it. They always say to not test drive a DP unless you can buy it and I completely understand now. It is so quiet and the ride is serene.
And I came back to a class C from a DP...gotta do what works for your, hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

I'm hoping to order my 17.5's with in the next month...I'm over half saved up for them.

mac 'from 08 Class C to 01 DP back to 16 Class C' gyvr
Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #51

THOR #5432
I will say that a DP is not for the faint of heart or if you have a light pocket book. Since buying it we have put close to 10k into it. It had a lot of maintenance that I had to take care of, since I didn't know when anything would have been done. Slide awning covers all had to have new fabric. Some new furniture, fixures, new tires. But the mechanicals were checked by my truck shop and said to be good. It is a little bigger than I would have preferred, we were looking for one in about the 35' range but came across this 40' for such a good price we took it.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:48 AM   #52

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: New York
THOR #7582
Has anyone considered the Nexen Roadian CT8 All Seasons Tire? It's a standard 225x75r16 load range E tire that has a load index of 121/120. That gives it a weight carrying capacity of almost 3100 lbs per tire on the rear and 3200 on the front. I know Nexen is not a household name on the RV circuit but they have a very good rep internationally. They're made in Korea and my local dealer sells them for $155 a pop. Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #53

THOR #5432
If that is the load rating that would be far cheaper than the 17.5 conversion. I have heard of Nexan tires, and tires from Korea are far better than the ones from China. Much better quality control in Korea or Japan than in China. I just put Falken tires on the rear of my DP they come from Japan and have good ratings. I put Michelins on the front but that was for better steering control. You never rotate tires on these things anyway.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #54

THOR #5432
Just looked up the Nexan tires on Tirerack and they only have the same 2680 lb rating as the rest of tires that size.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #55

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5554 View Post
Has anyone considered the Nexen Roadian CT8 All Seasons Tire? It's a standard 225x75r16 load range E tire that has a load index of 121/120. That gives it a weight carrying capacity of almost 3100 lbs per tire on the rear and 3200 on the front. I know Nexen is not a household name on the RV circuit but they have a very good rep internationally. They're made in Korea and my local dealer sells them for $155 a pop. Thoughts?

Yes, i brought up that option in this thread.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ires-9530.html

While store had mine listed as an E-Rated on computer, it’s actually a Commercial “C” rated. Correct data is on tire sidewall. Load capacity is higher than E-Rated, as is maximum pressure (85 vs 80 PSI, which I don’t need). I required slightly different 16-inch tire size, but others were also available.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #56

THOR #7582
Thanks Chance. I missed your post.
Druff, there are two versions of the CT8. The All Seasons version is the one with the greater load index. It's the way I'm leaning. What I'm looking for is reasons not to buy the Nexens. (or the Continentals). I like the idea of keeping my 16" rims, not just for the money but in case I damage one. You can always get a replacement for the OEM. The 17.5's I don't know.

https://tiresize.com/tires/Nexen/Roa...-225-75R16.htm
Old 05-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #57

THOR #5432
If I would have known that I probably would have gone to the heavier 16" tires myself instead of the 17.5s. my concern was that I was at the very limit with the LT tires. Another 400-500 lb rating per tire would have eased my mind.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #58

THOR #7582
Gotcha. Thanks for bringing this to my attention anyway. I'm due for new tires and I probably would have gone with Michelin. As it turns out they're not a very good tire for Motor Homes. I'll sleep better knowing I have a surplus of load carrying capacity. I doubt I'll ever use it all but it's nice to know it's there.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #59

THOR #7936
I was ready to make the call to rickson this week...

Now you’ve got me interested.

I tow a jeep on a trailer behind my class c and im planning to install a second ac unit in the back, i need some heavier duty tires...

mac ‘ready to buy’ gyvr
Old 05-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #60

THOR #7936
So seriously. I was ready to call and order the 17.5 rims/tires this week.

Has anyone bought these Nexen tires?

mac '1/3 the cost' gyvr