Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2019, 01:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
Rear view video camera

Mine sucks!! Anyone ever upgrade one? The one on my Car is great, anyway of getting one like that?

Old 12-16-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Did you remove the plastic cling cover off the lens?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #3

THOR #10103
Gawd I hope so.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:23 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Also check the cable connector behind the radio. They have a way of working loose.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #5

THOR #10103
Ok I check and recheck everything. The picture quality just sucks. So is there a replacement system out there?
Old 12-17-2019, 03:36 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
I replaced the ax era radio with a pioneer. Made it better but not as good as my Chevy.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Are you trying to read a book with it or just trying to see how close you are to something behind you?

Mine is good enough to keep an eye on my toad and if I’m clear to pull in front of a vehicle I am overtaking and that’s about it... It serves its purpose.

Edit - this pic is about as bad as its ever gotten and the camera had salt spray and ice on it..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFC1B348-3FDE-464A-A31C-32E311722B7B.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	21904  
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #9

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Google " Rearviewsafety.com" they have high quality cameras, just make sure you check your plug at the camera before you order a new one, there are a few variations, a mini 5 pin rubber plug and a 5 pin Cannon style plug, 4 pin variations and the RCA type plugs, my 2017 AXIS had the mini rubber 5 pin coming off the camera with a short pig tail going to the 5 pin Cannon style, the main harness going from the camera to the control box under the dash is a 5 pin Cannon type and the control box on my unit is made by Rear View Safety, its a spitter box to separate the back up camera from the mirror cameras, I put in a second side view camera on my right front to cover the blind spot I have on my right side when I am flying solo, I also added a 17 inch monitor that is 12 volt and I have to control box on a toggle switch so I can switch from side to back camera at any time, coach does not have to be in reverse for me to view rear camera, controls box was around $100.00 and most of their cameras are around $119.00, you can buy reverse cameras on Amazon for less than $10.00 but I am sure they are a waste of money
Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I totally agree with Bassman, Rear View Safety! Can’t find the picture but I use the factory cameras and added a 9” monitor the I installed on the dash. If you have 3 cameras you can view all of them at the same time or just one. If you only have a single camera adding a replacement monitor will give you a much bigger and clearer view. With a monitor mounted on the dash you have the camera view in your sight line where it is much easier to see. And as Bassman said check to see what type of connections you have.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:01 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
I looked at the Camera on Rearviewsafety.com and all of them are about the same resolution as the one on my 2018 Vegas. I'm guessing that all recent models of Thor use the same camera. Looking on Amazon I didn't see any better cameras either. I think adding a higher quality monitor than the cheap Alexra screen will give you the best bang for the buck.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8nmike View Post
I looked at the Camera on Rearviewsafety.com and all of them are about the same resolution as the one on my 2018 Vegas. I'm guessing that all recent models of Thor use the same camera. Looking on Amazon I didn't see any better cameras either. I think adding a higher quality monitor than the cheap Alexra screen will give you the best bang for the buck.
Most, but not all, of the cameras have the same resolution but a good quality monitor positioned properly can make huge difference!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #13

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
I just changed my axera with pioneer. My camera stopped working, so had no choice. I was not sure if it was camera or radio. My radio was saying no signal, when I turn camera on. I pulled the radio out, every thing looked fine. In replacing the radio, camera still said no signal. Pulled the camera out and tracked the wire. I had to pull panel inside and finally found one connector was loose. As soon as I connected camera came on. Axera radio had lots of negative reviews. Mine sometimes turn off and on while driving. Dual mirror never worked. Then camera problem. Then one speaker never worked. So I thought let’s replace. I like the pioneer. I had in my car with Apple play. So I bought similar but one step lower. As we don’t drive rv everyday. I bought avh 1300 with Apple play. Good thing is that back up camera was compatible and worked. Only one thing is that all pioneer radio will have have caution message on screen, while using camera. And this is default and cannot be changed. So it blocks little top part of screen. Also pioneer will not have actual camera button. You have to scroll down and use touch screen for camera.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
That pioneer sounds like the wrong unit to choose.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #15

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
I also replaced the stereo with a Pioneer unit, I wanted the Sirius radio and I replaced the back up camera with a new one from Rear View safety, when I turn my stereo on it goes right to the camera screen and then an X in the upper right corner of the screen, the music will play in this mode and just touch the X and you get the music screen, you have a 3 way splitter right behind the spedo and its made by Rear View Safety, I only have the mirror cameras going into the stereo and I bought a 17 inch flip down screen for the back up camera and I put in a right side camera on the front cap to cover a blind spot. I bought a new 2018 F-150 and it did not come with the Sirius radio so I thought I would just by the kit from Sirius to convert it over, will not work with the Ford stock radio and Ford wants $1,800.00 for a radio that will work with Sirius, any one else found a better way around this???
Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #16

THOR #14612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
That pioneer sounds like the wrong unit to choose.
Pioneer units are great quality. I have been using from last 4 years in my daily driving without any problems. Most cars use back up camera while in reverse. So that caution message stay only for few seconds in reverse. But in rv camera is on all the time while on road. So I do not like that on camera screen. But when I called pioneer they told me it’s there for liability reasons. But they took my feedback. And said they will send new firmware if they will remove that caution message after few seconds. Everything else is great with pioneer. You can easily switch screens. I did not need to change the camera. Because axera radio screen was not as good as pioneer. Quality of camera is much better on pioneer. Lots of Thor coach have hdmi and USB port socket on dash. I used the same socket plate for Apple play. It works great.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #17

THOR #14612
Do you have caution message on screen when viewing camera on pioneer