Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Question RV Covers

I am looking for opinions and experiences regarding RV covers. I searched for previous posts, but found nothing.

We live near Seattle in a location where it frequently rains in winter, but seldom freezes. We were thinking of building a metal shelter, but the space is restricted and the structure would make it difficult to access our shop. The location we park the motorhome gets a fair amount of sun and is not under the trees, but a lot of leaves and needles can fall there depending on the winds. The things I am concerned about is moss, leaves, and needles getting into the cracks and crevices. However I am also concerned about the cover scratching the surface when the wind blows.

Ken

Old 09-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

Model: 16 Vegas 24.1 6 sp
THOR #3051
The covers they sell are of soft materials. they are made to breathe and allow the moisture to escape. I live 20 min north of Seattle. I purchased a cover and have not used it yet. I will cover it up this winter.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Ken- don't do it! lol do a metal carport--even if only one sided depending on how your storms come in....we did a "run in"...no ends but one sided--the sun,the trees and the birds take its toll no matter where you live- it will give you piece of mind! the "covers" scratch and are very very worrisome in winds.....see where you could fit one, especially next to another building as one of it's sides.... that is what we did and we do back it in to keep the larger side on the wall side of the shelter and tire covers on the sun/open side next to the garage...but as the sun moves, no issue. the front and back we may do later...realize the paint may have issues with exposure or freak hail..but nothing gets on that roof or in the a/C's!!!! we learned early on- with our big bed truck and fifth wheel horse trailer- the "short cuts " do not work and is a waste!!!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #4

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
Ken- don't do it! lol do a metal carport--even if only one sided depending on how your storms come in....we did a "run in"...no ends but one sided--the sun,the trees and the birds take its toll no matter where you live- it will give you piece of mind! the "covers" scratch and are very very worrisome in winds.....see where you could fit one, especially next to another building as one of it's sides.... that is what we did and we do back it in to keep the larger side on the wall side of the shelter and tire covers on the sun/open side next to the garage...but as the sun moves, no issue. the front and back we may do later...realize the paint may have issues with exposure or freak hail..but nothing gets on that roof or in the a/C's!!!! we learned early on- with our big bed truck and fifth wheel horse trailer- the "short cuts " do not work and is a waste!!!
I appreciate the input. However it's not that simple. I've attached a photo to give you an idea of where the motohome needs to park. The left most blue building is our shop. The motor home is driven in from the right up a steep and narrow driveway. The front bumper is a foot or two from the left end of the shop building. the rear bumber is actually overlaping the garage door, where a vehicle is kept. As it is, getting a small two seat car in and out af that garage is tricky with the moho there. If I attemped to build a steel cover stucture, it would block that door too closely and too much. Also I would have to deal with the proximity to the side od the building, not to mention the slope. As it is. it is inconvient to have the moho there. If I built a steel bldg it would be very dificult to do anything involving the shop.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genMid.645443_6_0.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2905  
Old 09-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #5

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
So as you look at the picture.....where that opening is and the light....Can you not get that bobcatted enough to put your shed there? No side yard? If not,man that is gonna be a bummer......i will get oics if ours for you butted up to the garage....we had to pull some dirt and put hind legging on blocks but it is hurricNe tied....not sure what else you could do other than leave it exposed but waxed...mAny say they do it!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRun View Post
So as you look at the picture.....where that opening is and the light....Can you not get that bobcatted enough to put your shed there? No side yard? If not,man that is gonna be a bummer......i will get oics if ours for you butted up to the garage....we had to pull some dirt and put hind legging on blocks but it is hurricNe tied....not sure what else you could do other than leave it exposed but waxed...mAny say they do it!

Well, there are other options. For instance a cover. I have used a cover before, but its was on a Bigfoot fiberglass Trailer. I am hoping to get some comments from people who have used one recently. My experience is 7 years ago. Thanks for you input. However there are plenty of RV's parked around here in the open. I will do that before I do even minor excavating. I am just hoping to get a bit of protection, and less clean up before use.

Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #7

THOR #4719
I hate bumping my own threads, but I hate feeling alone and ignored even worse. Yes, I realize that's probably a personality problem. However I have more important personality problems than that, and I can only work on a few at a time.

Anyone else want to talk about covers? I'm particularly interested in recent personal experiences, good or bad.

Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
I looked at Calmark Covers factory during a Property Tax audit a few years ago. Impressed with their products. I would ask them on wear to surfaces.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #9

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
I looked at Calmark Covers factory during a Property Tax audit a few years ago. Impressed with their products. I would ask them on wear to surfaces.
Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

Ken
Old 09-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
My pole building isn't large enough for the motorhome to fit, so I decided to try a cover a few years ago. When we traded our old coach in last year it still looked new after 7 years. I was concerned about scratching, but they are pretty soft. I use Adco with Tyvek top and so far they've done the job. It takes me about 45 minutes to put it on by myself, They only last 3-4 years, so the cost is $100-$150/yr.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
rhino shelter

I have a rhino shelter for my rig.

I installed a 30 amp line for shore power, 20 amp outlet, and 6 light plastic cage light strings. It has front and rear doors.

I can work on it anytime I want. It's great!

Tinker Onward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160626_141429.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	2927  
Old 12-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #12

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
State: Florida
THOR #6059
Bad experience with covers

We used a good quality cover for two years on our previous MH. It left lots of fine scratches and rub areas all over the place. I worked very hard trying to buff them out, with limited success. We live in S/W Florida and we're worried about the intense sun on our RV. We used the rig about 6-8 times a year and always washed and waxed it previous to re-covering it.
Needless to say we won't be using a cover on our new ACE 30.3! We own the lot next to our home and are already shopping for a permanent metal RV shed.
Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #13

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenb2560 View Post
We used a good quality cover for two years on our previous MH. It left lots of fine scratches and rub areas all over the place. I worked very hard trying to buff them out, with limited success. We live in S/W Florida and we're worried about the intense sun on our RV. We used the rig about 6-8 times a year and always washed and waxed it previous to re-covering it.
Needless to say we won't be using a cover on our new ACE 30.3! We own the lot next to our home and are already shopping for a permanent metal RV shed.
Steven B.
2017 ACE 30.3
Thanks Steven,

It has been three months since I started this thread. In that time I did a bunch of research and bought one of ADCO's best covers. It adjusts (tightens) in several places. Our motorhome is also fairly well sheltered from the wind. Only time will tell.

Ken
Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We've covered ours for two winters now and haven't seen any scratches due to the cover (the straps do hold it tight and its parked close to other campers that doesn't allow much wind between them--especially when there is snow piling up).

We did have a cover for our 5th wheel that did leave some marks but that one lasted about a month before a windstorm ripped it off the camper. Found it about 50 yards away all tangled with another cover that was ripped off an adjacent camper.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:04 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You could go with just AC covers, I've used them with good results many winters.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #16

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You could go with just AC covers, I've used them with good results many winters.
We live in Western Washington. Our location is surrounded by conifer and deciduous tress that drop junk nearly all year. The RV is some distance from them, not directly under them. However the wind manages to clutter things up. I also needed a 100% waterproof top to combat the ubiquitous winter moss. The cover we bought is well ventilated. I am interested to see how it works this winter.

Ken
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I understand why you need a full cover now, I didn't have that problem.