Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: California
THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Thanks JR, I was looking to change mine but feared the wiring, I assume your analog was the same as mine.
I had the generic analog unit (Coleman Mach Part No: AP7862). I don't have a picture handy but it looked something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Rv-Camper-Col.../dp/B00C6JE2FC

It does control the temperature much better now.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #42

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
hey, good deal. Glad it worked out for you.

What I'd love to find is a remote thermostat....one that used a wall mount temp sensor at the existing location, controlled by a wireless set of buttons I could put up on the dash. I want to be able to control the thing while I'm driving.

Your photo may help. Looks like 5 wires, eh?
Old 11-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #43

THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
hey, good deal. Glad it worked out for you.

What I'd love to find is a remote thermostat....one that used a wall mount temp sensor at the existing location, controlled by a wireless set of buttons I could put up on the dash. I want to be able to control the thing while I'm driving.

Your photo may help. Looks like 5 wires, eh?
Here's a link to the wiring diagram:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspf...thermostat.pdf

Another option might be to use a wifi unit and your cell phone. You can setup a wireless router in the RV. Hacking into the current unit might not be worth the time. There some remote control units out there but they are $$$
Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #44

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgutierr View Post
My latest upgrade is replacing the analog thermostat with a digital one. The analog one was impossible to set accurately. It had huge swings. I chose to go with a digital Cole Mach unit vs a Hunter battery based unit because I wanted to retain all functions. This is a super easy upgrade. Pop the cap off the current unit and remove the two screws holding the base plate down. Pull the wiring out of the wall then rewire with the new unit. Go one color at a time. The new unit and the old one with have exactly the same colors (assuming your old one was also a Coleman). I bought the Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool Digital Wall Thermostat from RVupgrades.com. It was less than $50.

Here is link to where I bought it:
Coleman 8330-3362

Here is a picture of the final product:

Here is what the wiring looks like:

OK I am ready to install the same thermostat that you did and replacing the same one you did. What thru me off was the different color wires being put together. If I am looking at your picture right it goes gray to yellow, red to red, white to white, yellow to red, blue to blue/stripped wire, green to green the first color being the thermostat. I might be over killing this but want to get it right. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #45

THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
OK I am ready to install the same thermostat that you did and replacing the same one you did. What thru me off was the different color wires being put together. If I am looking at your picture right it goes gray to yellow, red to red, white to white, yellow to red, blue to blue/stripped wire, green to green the first color being the thermostat. I might be over killing this but want to get it right. Thanks for your help.
Match the new units wiring to what is currently on your Coleman analog unit. Meaning that if your thick red wire coming out of the analog unit goes to a thick red wire coming out of the wall then mimic it. If the yellow wire coming out of the analog unit goes to a skinny red wire from the wall then copy it. Unfortunately the wires coming out of the wall my not be the on the same colors on all RVs but the wires coming out of the thermostat should be the same. I hope this clears it up.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 AM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Cool thread, I have done a lot of the same things to my 2016 Chateau 31W over the past summer. Added Helwig front sway bar, firestone ride right springs in the rear, really helped with rear swag and tippy feeling in corners. Changed out the themostat for digital one because like you said it was completely uncontrollable with the analog one. Took out my sofa and put in two small Lazyboys. Then we carpeted the whole RV front to back, except bathroom. We have cats and they would slide all over when we were driving. That also made the coach much quieter when driving and feel much warmer on cold days. I also rewired the radio to turn off when we turn the key off and open a door, I really did not like having to turn the radio off separately all the time. Finally at a day after thanksgiving sale I found a 40" LG TV and replaced the awful Sekei tv in the living room. My wife says I should be done now, but I'm probably not.