Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28Z
State: California
THOR #1798
Rear Sway Bar Installation

Yesterday I installed the rear sway bar. As mentioned by others on this thread the rear is easier than the front. The only part I found harder was that you really have to get under the RV. The space is a little tight down there. Nothing major just not as easy as the front to crawl under.

As far as tools it's very similar to the front. Some of the bolts/nuts get replaced with Hellwig supplied ones so just find the sockets before you start. The bolts came off fairly easily on the rear. The only hint I have for this one is to take a brick or piece of 2X4 to help you hold up the Hellwig sway bar when you attach it to the rear axle. It's got some weight to it. I used the hardware box that came with the Hellwig because that's all I had since I was doing the work in my RV storage yard.

I have Amazon prime so I order it there. Here is a link to the part I ordered:
Hellwig 7180

Here is the before picture:

Here is a side by side of the Hellwig and OEM sway bars.

And lastly, here is the after picture:

I didn't get a chance to test drive it yet, but based on other reviews I expect nothing but good things.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #22

State: Ohio
THOR #1042
Added Hellwig front and rear sway bar to my E350 and they made a big improvement in handling. Also added the Bilstein steering stabilizer for a bigger improvement. Still have some steering wobble while towing the toad but trying to narrow that down.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #23

THOR #1798
LED Upgrade Time

I'm adding solar panels later this week so I decided to remove unnecessary power drainers. First up, the incandescent lights. This modification was fairly easy. Remove the old bulbs and insert the new ones. The new ones produce a nice white lite. Brightness is about the same or slightly brighter. My RV needed 17 total LED lights.

Here are the bulbs I ordered:
Gold Stars 92111803 LED Replacement Light Bulb 921/T15 Wedge base 190 Lumens 12v or 24v Natural White

And here are the before and after pictures:

Old 07-31-2015, 04:23 AM   #24

THOR #1798
Solar Panels Installed

Detailed in a separate thread:

Go Power Solar Elite Charging System

Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #25

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Pic Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgutierr View Post
I needed a backup camera for the coach. I don't know why it wasn't on by default. After reading reviews and watching install videos I decided to try a wireless backup camera from Rear View Safety. This turned out to be fairly easy modification. I was originally going to place the camera right below the center marker light above the rear window, but I stopped myself right before I drilled a new hole. It turned out the hole for the light was already the same size that I needed for the camera. The grommet fit perfectly. I think there's enough marker lights up there and not having the center one is not a big deal. I used the power for the light to power the camera. To turn the camera on I just turn on the parking lights.

Here is the link for the backup camera I bought:

Wireless Quad Camera System with Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

Here is what it looks like instaledl:

It comes with a suction cup mount. For now I just put it in front of the rear view mirror. I'm probably going to get a new mount and put in on the center console somewhere. Now when I backup I can see what I hit!

The camera picture is very high quality. This version can be outfitted with up to 4 wireless cameras. I haven't tried it at night but it's suppose to work well in low light.
This is something I really need but am VERY reluctant to get a wireless system due to picture quality. My last one was wireless and while it got the job done I vowed never to go wireless again. That said, it was 5 years ago and things have come a long way (I think). I'm even more reluctant to start drilling holes in my brand new rig to route wiring. How is the picture quality on this unit? Would you go this route again?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #26

THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
This is something I really need but am VERY reluctant to get a wireless system due to picture quality. My last one was wireless and while it got the job done I vowed never to go wireless again. That said, it was 5 years ago and things have come a long way (I think). I'm even more reluctant to start drilling holes in my brand new rig to route wiring. How is the picture quality on this unit? Would you go this route again?
The picture quality is good but not HD good. I'm satisfied with it. I'm in the middle of a week long RV trip and it has made backing into spaces so much easier. I'm eventually going to buy two more cameras for the left and right sides. I would definitely go this route again. Routing the wires seemed daunting.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #27

THOR #1798
LED Tail Light Upgrade

One of my tail light bulbs burned out. When I took the tail light out I immediately saw the moisture issue that others have talk about on this model. I decided to order LED tail lights and replace them.

I ordered them from here:
LED TAIL LIGHT - BARGMAN 84 SERIES - TRIPLE W/BACKUP

I followed the instructions from a fellow forum member (FW28z):
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...nues-1505.html.

I had the same issue that FW28z had with the wire coloring. I had to wire green to black and vice versa to get the LEDs to work. I took the advice of FW28z and multi-tool to enlarge the cutout for the LEDs. There is a template on the link above. Here are some pictures:

Thanks FW28z for the guidance.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Did you notice any rot behind the taillights? Did you do anything to coat the voids behind the lights in the event that water does get in?

(Myself I coated the inside with Flex Seal as seen here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html )
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 PM   #29

THOR #1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Did you notice any rot behind the taillights? Did you do anything to coat the voids behind the lights in the event that water does get in?

(Myself I coated the inside with Flex Seal as seen here: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html )
There was some rot on both tail light holes. I sanded the rot away but i did not add an additional sealant to the wood. It's a good idea. I will do that as well while its all clean. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
One of my tail light bulbs burned out. When I took the tail light out I immediately saw the moisture issue that others have talk about on this model. I decided to order LED tail lights and replace them.

I ordered them from here:
LED TAIL LIGHT - BARGMAN 84 SERIES - TRIPLE W/BACKUP

I followed the instructions from a fellow forum member (FW28z):
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...nues-1505.html.

I had the same issue that FW28z had with the wire coloring. I had to wire green to black and vice versa to get the LEDs to work. I took the advice of FW28z and multi-tool to enlarge the cutout for the LEDs. There is a template on the link above. Here are some pictures:

Thanks FW28z for the guidance.
Has anyone actually fixed the moisture problem? I take my rig in next week for some warranty work and this is on the list. If I'm getting moisture in Phoenix I can only imagine what others are going through.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:25 AM   #31

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I got rid of the gasket and put down a layer of silicone. I put the light fixture back on and then ran a bead of silicone around the lens. And yes, if it burns out I may have problems replacing the bulb but at least I won't have rot.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #32

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I haven't fixed mine.... but I'm still kicking myself for not changing to a surface mount fixture when they replaced my back wall..... does kicking myself count?

The dealership silicone caulked mine in pretty well, and at last inspection it's still holding. But I hate silicone..... It will be very difficult for me to ever get that thing resealed when it finally does leak or if I need to open it to change a bulb.

I still have in mind to put some rain gutter material over these lights to deflect some water from the gasket joint.... but I know that is likely only to be a foolhardy attempt...
My other idea is to epoxee a plate of some kind (plastic or FRP sheet maybe) over the opening completely and mount a surface mounted fixture.... or perhaps even taking it to a body shop that does glass work on boats to glass over it....
Old 09-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #33

THOR #1798
I consider changing to the Bagman tail lights an attempt to fix the problem. Since you can change the LEDs/bubls without having to unscrew the complete tail light assembly you can really seal around the light. Another feature on the Bargmans is that they have a raised ring all along the backside vs the flat panel on the OEM lights. I added the marine sealant right on on the ring. If water gets in its because i missed a spot.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #34

THOR #1798
Another Stability Improvement

I have recently also replaced the stock Ford dampener with one from Bilstein. This was a super easy DIY. Literally took 15 minutes and I work deliberately slow. Just remove the old one by removing the bolts and nuts and install the new one. Here is the picture after installation:

This past weekend I drove up to Palomar mountain in SoCal and managing the curves was a breeze (for an RV). It makes turning so easy that I forget I'm in an RV. Coupled with the Hellwig sway bars this coach is getting very comfortable to drive.

Next up is replacing the shocks. I'll probably have those done. I tried replacing the rear ones and I couldn't loosen the bolt.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #35

THOR #1798
MaxxFan Vent Unit

Added a MaxxFan vent fan to the coach. My 28Z just had stock vents. There are plenty of videos and DIY write-ups so I wont repeat them. The hardest part is taking off the old sealant. If you peel it slowly it will come off cleanly. The MaxxFan screw holes did not line up with the stock vent so I had to drill new ones. There was already a power cable for a nearby light routed through the vent opening so I just tapped into that to power the MaxxFan. I bought the unit on Amazon. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OW5JIU/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Here are is a picture of the stock vent after I pulled some of the sealant off:

Here is the inside with the bezel off:

Here is the new MaxxAir installed on the roof:

Here is the view on the inside:

I really like this upgrade. It helps cool down the RV quickly and I like that you can have it open while you drive or in the rain. I opted not to get the remote version as I can easily reach up and turn it on/off. It also has an auto mode were it shuts off it the temperature falls below 76 F. On low mode it's super quite. On high mode you can hear a the fan but it's not annoying. It's a lot quieter than the cheap fan in the bathroom. I will be getting two more of these for the vent in the bathroom and the bedroom.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #36

THOR #1798
New Bilstein Shocks

The latest suspension upgrade for the coach is new shocks. I had a shop do the work because I couldn't loosen the nuts on the bolts. You really need a high power impact air wrench. I decided to go for the Bilstein B6 HD shocks for the longer wheelbase. I have a Four Winds 28Z and it's just under 30 ft. Here are the part numbers.

Front Shock - Bilstein Part#: 33-187570
Rear Shocks - Bilstein Part #: 33-176857

The best price (including shipping) I found online was a website called AJUSA.com

Here is the pictures of them installed:

Front

Rear

Every upgrade has made a difference in some way but this change made the most noticeable difference. The ride is smoother now and the steering is more responsive. It actually sounded quieter inside the vehicle. Probably due to less vibration. It really does feel like driving a Suburban. For now I am done with suspension upgrades.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #37

State: Ohio
THOR #1042
Chateau

Looks good, wish you luck and smooth ride.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #38

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Added a MaxxFan vent fan to the coach. My 28Z just had stock vents. There are plenty of videos and DIY write-ups so I wont repeat them. The hardest part is taking off the old sealant. If you peel it slowly it will come off cleanly. The MaxxFan screw holes did not line up with the stock vent so I had to drill new ones. There was already a power cable for a nearby light routed through the vent opening so I just tapped into that to power the MaxxFan. I bought the unit on Amazon. Here is the link:

Amazon.com: Maxxair 00-06200K MaxxFan Ventillation Fan with Smoke Lid and Manual Opening Keypad Control: Automotive

Here are is a picture of the stock vent after I pulled some of the sealant off:

Here is the inside with the bezel off:

Here is the new MaxxAir installed on the roof:

Here is the view on the inside:

I really like this upgrade. It helps cool down the RV quickly and I like that you can have it open while you drive or in the rain. I opted not to get the remote version as I can easily reach up and turn it on/off. It also has an auto mode were it shuts off it the temperature falls below 76 F. On low mode it's super quite. On high mode you can hear a the fan but it's not annoying. It's a lot quieter than the cheap fan in the bathroom. I will be getting two more of these for the vent in the bathroom and the bedroom.
Hey
happy to see this.....
I just ordered and received the same fan, except with the white cover, to install in that exact same location.
I'm glad to learn about the screws not aligning so that I can be prepared for that....

I was on the fence a long time about which location(s) to put fans. I really thought hard about putting it in the bedroom first, but figured the living room might be more often used and easier to get at.....
I have a fantastic fan cover over the bedroom vent so that it can be opened in the rain
and I've all be decided that I don't even need a fan there

My plan down the road is to use one of those cheap Hengs conversion units for the bathroom fan. Figure I don't need anything quite so elaborate there.

I do like the idea of the secondary cover such as that fantastic vent cover over the unit....giving a second layer of protection over the opening, but I liked the low profile style of this maxxfan deluxe for that front vent so close to the nose of the RV

I also hope that I don't regret not getting the remote control for times when I might want to control the front fan in the middle of the night.... It was just hard for me to justify spending that much extra for something I'm not going to use daily.... and that would most likely get misplaced a lot anyway.....
where is that remote???
Old 11-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #39

THOR #1798
My latest upgrade is replacing the analog thermostat with a digital one. The analog one was impossible to set accurately. It had huge swings. I chose to go with a digital Cole Mach unit vs a Hunter battery based unit because I wanted to retain all functions. This is a super easy upgrade. Pop the cap off the current unit and remove the two screws holding the base plate down. Pull the wiring out of the wall then rewire with the new unit. Go one color at a time. The new unit and the old one with have exactly the same colors (assuming your old one was also a Coleman). I bought the Coleman 8330-3362 Single Stage Heat/Cool Digital Wall Thermostat from RVupgrades.com. It was less than $50.

Here is link to where I bought it:
Coleman 8330-3362

Here is a picture of the final product:

Here is what the wiring looks like:

Old 11-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #40

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Thanks JR, I was looking to change mine but feared the wiring, I assume your analog was the same as mine.