Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 03:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3162
Axis Spare Tire

Hi All,

I finally got around to getting the spare tire and the hitch mount. I posted a few pics. I wish the Curt Mount did not put the tire at the angle you see but I really could not find one that would let the tire hang straight up and down. I probably will have to get a 12" extender hitch to get my bike rack to clear the spare tire. Oh well!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160215_131732.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160215_131743.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1454  

Old 02-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul905 View Post
....cut.... I wish the Curt Mount did not put the tire at the angle you see but I really could not find one that would let the tire hang straight up and down. ....cut.....

Paul
That design does seem different than most. Before I built one years ago I researched many different models and never saw one that didn't support the tire upright. For my van I needed a swing-away or drop-down tire carrier that would allow opening at least one rear door, so I spent a lot of time looking. Other than to move spare tire slightly closer to motorhome I don't know why Curt would do it that way.

I ended up making an offset carrier that only blocked the passenger-side door, but after a year or so I custom built a carrier that mounts on the door. It was a lot more work but worth it in the end. The support structure is hidden inside the van's door so it doesn't have visible arms hanging off the door hinges like was typical at the time.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is because I recently saw an older Coachmen Class C just like my previous one that had spare tire mounted off back wall. It caught my eye because the tire ends up very tight against motorhome. I took a couple of pictures and will try posting for reference (i.e. -- food for thought).
Old 02-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

THOR #2121
My first RV very similar to this old one had the spare mounted off the back. About 20-years ago it seemed more common to have spares, and to have them supported at rear of motorhome instead of underneath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1460  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

THOR #2121
The bracket used was very simple in design, and held by four bolts.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	250
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1461  
Old 02-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #5

THOR #2121
On the inside there was a small backing plate, probably about an 1/8" thick. If I was ever going to try building something like this I'd first check with Thor to find out where reinforcement inside wall is.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	262
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1462  
Old 02-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Paul,

I did the same thing and wondered the same...why the angle?

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Could it be so that when you back into something, or get bumped from behind, that the tire doesn't get pushed into rear wall? Depending on how it's made, if the bottom of the tire hits a wall or tree as you backed up it may bend the carrier and or wheel some first before it pushes into motorhome? Pure speculation on my part.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

THOR #2142
Chance,

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1456598930

That is probably a good reason...with the tire there it would be like a padded and somewhat flexible barrier protecting the fiberglass rearend of the RUV.

There was an article a couple of years ago dealing with rear-end collisions in autos and even at 7mph the RAVA4 with the fancy fiberglass rear end with built in cover over the spare ended up with some $4000+ damage.

I'd hope that the RUV could withstand a 7 MPH hit...but I don't want to find out.

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20151226_13_27_53_Pro.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1465  

Old 02-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #3691
Can you provide the Curt item numbers?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #10

THOR #2142
Free2camp, the Curt Spare Tire Mount is #31006, with tax and shipping $80.92.

I got the rim from wheelsandcaps.com, Steel Wheel, RIm 16X6, 3872 Reconditioned OEM -Bright White Full Face, with tax shipping and handling $95.00.

Doc.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #11

THOR #3691
Thank you. I'm doing th same with our Chateau. I don't like traveling without a spare.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #12

THOR #2142
Free2camp,

I know what you mean. Even if I call for the prepaid roadside service to change the spare at least I have a spare with us!

I just purchased a 2016 Kia Soul with 6-speed manual transmission for future towing behind the Vegas. Funny, they sell the Soul without a spare; it took some work but I got it thrown in...even if it is just a little donut tire - it is a spare and it fits in the space behind/under the backseat (there is even a cutout in the metal and a mount for it).

Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #13

THOR #3691
We have a Chevy Spark that cannot be flat towed. We have a enclosed trailed to haul the Chevy and a yet to be named Yamaha golf cart. I have already started working on the trailer and added clothes racks and painted the entire inside bright white with 6
12 volt interior lights. Great place to put those little extras we always seem to take along.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #14

THOR #3691
I found a spare wheel with tire on Craigslist. Headed out tomorrow to grab.
Free2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Chance,

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1456598930

That is probably a good reason...with the tire there it would be like a padded and somewhat flexible barrier protecting the fiberglass rearend of the RUV.

There was an article a couple of years ago dealing with rear-end collisions in autos and even at 7mph the RAVA4 with the fancy fiberglass rear end with built in cover over the spare ended up with some $4000+ damage.

I'd hope that the RUV could withstand a 7 MPH hit...but I don't want to find out.

Doc
Doc, my first guess was likely wrong. I think there is another more-reasonable explanation why Curt shaped the carrier that way.

Based on Curt's description and a video review (of which I took a screen shot of) it appears to me that Curt designed it that way so the same carrier can be used on wheel/tires with close-to-neutral offset and also on wheels from trucks with lots of offset -- like wheels from dual-rear-wheel applications.

That makes the carrier more universal. It can be used on your dually wheels, on trailer wheels, or on single-rear-wheel applications too.

I would also guess that the tilt "may" make it a little easier to hang the wheel on carrier without it falling off prior to being bolted down. On mine I welded the studs to carrier so it only works with wheels with my bolt pattern. When made for universal fit, supporting the wheel could be an issue. Although I guess you could bolt wheel to carrier on ground and then lift both as a unit onto receiver. That's what I did with my first carrier because I took it off and on frequently.

Note in picture that wheel is very different than yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	309
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1467  
Old 02-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #16

THOR #3691
I think it also allows your rear camera to still "see" your hitch.
Free2camp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis, spare tire, vegas