Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12309
2014 thor palazzo 37.4

Has anyone changed out your tv's to smart ones?, also want to replace my couch with something better.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:13 AM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot00007 View Post
Has anyone changed out your tv's to smart ones?, also want to replace my couch with something better.
Yes, but most campgrounds have a weak or very busy WiFi network. We’ve been lucky most the time, but it seems when we want it the most we have trouble connecting.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
You can certainly change out the TVs to anything you want. They're just normal 120 volt TVs and almost any brand you choose will be an upgrade over what the factory puts in there.

I'm not sure what you're looking to do with your couch, on our 36.1 Palazzo we hated our couch but after looking at our options we ended up just having the cushions re-done with much stiffer foam. When someone was sitting there while driving they always felt they were sitting on the metal frame beneath the cushions.

I wish now we would have had the dinette cushions done as well.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Replaced the main and outside tv's on my gasser with 32 in. Amazon fire smart tv's. Greatly improved reception, audio, and picture. Whatever brand you choose, do your homework on VESA mounting pattern of the old and new TV. Might have to buy extra Vesa adapters and nuts, bolts, screws. Good luck!

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Replaced the main and outside tv's on my gasser with 32 in. Amazon fire smart tv's. Greatly improved reception, audio, and picture. Whatever brand you choose, do your homework on VESA mounting pattern of the old and new TV. Might have to buy extra Vesa adapters and nuts, bolts, screws. Good luck!
PicClick image for larger version

Name:	20190325_161532.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	16352

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, a tv is just a tv, unless your Bedroom tv is the Jensen 12v type, but even then, you may have an outlet behind it to plug any 'regular' tv into if you replace it. My Palazzo has the Jensen, I suppose to allow the owner to be 'off-grid', without the inverter, and still be able to watch 'ota' TV, because the antenna is also 12v, but mostly we just watch it like any of the other 120v 'regular' tvs, and don't really know the difference.

I'll say that, yes, wifi or cellular connection to the net is going to be the prohibiting factor to 'smart' TVs, of any size or variety...but if you have that worked out, then they'll work just like anywhere.
You'll find subjects on cell and wifi sources all over this forum, as the internet continues to be one of the most challenging things when it comes to being 'mobile' in your RV, and most campgrounds and rv parks don't really want everyone 'streaming' movies every night, at least on their dime.

now, as for the couch, you'll have to share with us 'what' couch type you have.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13710
Quote:
We didn't change the TV we changed the DVD player to a Sony WiFi player and use our smart phone hot spot for streaming. The Sony has connects for Netflix, Amazon and a bunch of others. Cost about $100 and took about 20 minutes. Works anyplace we can get a cell signal. We're on Tmobile but would work with any carrier with unlimited data. Do they throttle, probably, but hasn't been an issue yet.
Paul