Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2015, 06:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #2788
Adding another battery to my Four Wind Chateau Sport 24-T

I know I will get the best information from this forum.
I have a 2004 Four Winds Chateau Sport 24-T motorhome, would like to add another battery to boondock for a longer time at state campgrounds. My battery compartment is on the outside, behind the generator compartment, on the drivers side. I measured the compartment and it looks like I will have enough room. My batteries will be located end to end. Has anybody done this upgrade? Will I have to replace battery cables? Will I have to upgrade my converter?

Old 09-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I can't help you directly, but it may help others guide you to know if you plan to install 12-Volt or 6-Volt batteries. Required cables and routing will likely be a little different depending on your preference.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

THOR #2788
That's why I need quidence in upgrading my batteries. Do I need to have 12v, or 6v batteries for boondocking? Do I need to upgrade battery cables? Do I need to upgrade converter?
Old 09-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First the easy part.

You should not have to upgrade cables or converter. You will need to get additional cables to connect the multiple batteries.

Now the more challenging part, I am going to assume your coach has one 12 volt battery. If that is the case you can get an additional 12 volt and connect the two batteries in parallel.

If however your coach has 2 6 volt batteries you can add additional batteries and the batteries with then have to be connected in a series-parallel configuration so that the voltage entering the coach is only 12 volts.

Hopefully this helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:06 AM   #5

THOR #2788
Thanks Dave Monday I will go to Les Swab were 12v battery was bought to see if battery is good enough to add another battery, or would I have to buy 2 new 12v batteries. Also will have them hook up batteries in parallel. Glad I did not have to replace converter, just wanted to make sure I did not overload converter somehow.