Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
2016 axis inverter

I want to run 1500 watt coffee pot without generator on road for 2 hours. Anyone installed an inverter for this. Is there another way without running generator when noise is a no no? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I want to run 1500 watt coffee pot without generator on road for 2 hours. Anyone installed an inverter for this. Is there another way without running generator when noise is a no no? Thanks.
I have a Vegas 25.2 and started to look at inverter options for running a tv without running the generator. I spoke to a technician at. Camping World and to have one hard wired would require 6 hours labor because they would need to find the correct circuit and install a sub panel. Add the price of a 300.00 to the labor and your talking about 1300.00. I haven't checked anywhere else yet. Let me know how you make out.
Kev
Old 07-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Have you looked into a 12VDC Coffee Pot. Heck of a lot cheaper than an inverter.

Schumacher 12V 10-Cup Coffee Maker, 1229 - Walmart.com
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
This is an interesting question..I am curious to see all the answers forthcoming!
My question is...after the coffee pot has quit perking/brewing .. what watts is it drawing, just to keep coffee hot. My coffee doesn't last long enough to be concerned about keeping it warm ! lol !!
We have an inverter which plugs in to our cigarette lighter...in addition to usb charging outlets, it also, has an electrical outlet.
Also...how about a carafe to keep coffee hot for that short period of time?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Have you looked into a 12VDC Coffee Pot. Heck of a lot cheaper than an inverter.

Schumacher 12V 10-Cup Coffee Maker, 1229 - Walmart.com
Which receptacle has 12 volt. I love the idea thanks.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
This is an interesting question..I am curious to see all the answers forthcoming!
My question is...after the coffee pot has quit perking/brewing .. what watts is it drawing, just to keep coffee hot. My coffee doesn't last long enough to be concerned about keeping it warm ! lol !!
We have an inverter which plugs in to our cigarette lighter...in addition to usb charging outlets, it also, has an electrical outlet.
Will the CIG inverter power coffee pot
Old 07-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Remember, the inverter really isn't powering anything. It is only inverting your battery DC to AC. If you want to power items within your coach from your battery bank, you need to know what the amp hour draw is of your devices, how long you want to use them, and then you can calculate the size of the inverter and battery bank you need. Also, when looking at inverters, it is important to know the surge (max) as when you power on some devices they require more amps to start then to run.
Here is a good calculator: Solar Sizing Calculator | Solar Cable Gauge Calculator | Battery Interconnect Calculator - Renogy Solar
Old 07-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Which receptacle has 12 volt. I love the idea thanks.
I'm not sure about the configuration of the Axis/Vegas but you could tap into any 12VDC system to run a receptacle where needed. The interior lights for instance are all 12 volt so you could tap into that circuit.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Will the CIG inverter power coffee pot
I cannot say, for sure, as you must know how much power it draws to keep the hot plate warm.
Here is the information...and additional comments.
Ron has his coffee pot (and places remaining coffee in carafe)
I have a Keurig...brew my coffee and put in my stainless go cup !
We all have our preferences...(ha ! I have a French Press too !!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	2488Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter b.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2489
Energizer EN120
Powers up to 5 devices at once
Ultra silent thermal fan
4 USB charging ports (2.1A shared)
Energizer cup inverter made for charges tablets
Fits securely into most cup holders
1 standard AC outlet
Includes cigarette lighter and battery cables
120W continuous power
240W max power
ENERGIZER MAKES A NUMBER OF INVERTERS..google ENERGIZER INVERTERS..

Below..this is a quote from the COFFEEGEEK FORUM
.. didn't know it existed.
This statement supports my preference...the hot plate keeps your coffee hot..yes..but, also over a length of time cooks it.
Put your fresh brewed coffee in an insulated carafe and enjoy !

" I hate warmer plates, so I have taken my drip machines apart to disconnect the plate element. Some even have a separate switch for the hot plate. I would say in most brewers the element that heats the water is separate from the one that heats the plate the carafe sits on"

Good luck on your search !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

THOR #3471
Takes 1 hour to make coffee this way
Old 07-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
This is an interesting question..I am curious to see all the answers forthcoming! ...
I have 2 stainless steel Thermos bottles (OD Green in color) that traveled around the world with me and are over 35 years old. They still keep coffee and soup hot for over 4 hours.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
I have 2 stainless steel Thermos bottles (OD Green in color) that traveled around the world with me and are over 35 years old. They still keep coffee and soup hot for over 4 hours.
Dave...exactly....I remember those old Green Thermos bottles..virtually indestructable !! I wonder what happened to the one my folks had ! Circa WW2 !!
My stainless go cup has been everywhere with me..and our carafes do a great job ! Coffee doesn't last long with me !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Yeah, I read that review. One said 30 minutes and another 1-hr. My wife would kill me if she had to wait that long for first cup of coffee.

We use Keurig, which takes about a minute per cup. Power is high but total energy is low. We place coffee in insulated travel mugs that stays hot until consumed.

I understand there is a Keurig model that pulls less than 1000 watts. Mine pulls around 1500 watts which makes it brew faster.

12-Volt DC appliances designed for cigarette lighter plugs will be limited to very low wattage, which makes them very slow.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #14

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I have a Vegas 25.2 and started to look at inverter options for running a tv without running the generator. I spoke to a technician at. Camping World and to have one hard wired would require 6 hours labor because they would need to find the correct circuit and install a sub panel. Add the price of a 300.00 to the labor and your talking about 1300.00. I haven't checked anywhere else yet. Let me know how you make out.
Kev
I ran my own wires directly to the house batteries and hooked them up with a 20 amp fuse. Took an hour or two because you have to take off the dog house or drill thru the floor. You don't need a very large inverter to run your TV. You do not need to find a circuit or install a sub panel. A $5.00 fuse holder (with large enough wire size) is all you need. You can do it easily yourself.. If is not rocket science.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Boiling water on the stove and pouring it thru a coffee filter takes about 5 minutes. Saves your batteries too. You are supposed to be roughing it. It's called camping.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #16

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
My 2¢

I am a coffee snob. I roast my own from green beans and make my own blends. Kinda like a wine snob; but with coffee.

The best coffee is achieved via the pour over method. Meaning you boil the water and then pour it over the grounds. The reason is that the best temperature to extract the coffee from the ground beans is about 195º to 200º. The time it takes to take the boiling water off the stove and pour it over a filter cone leaves the temperature right there.

Also, grinding right before brewing is the best. Green coffee beans last about a year. Once roasted, about a month. Once ground, maybe a day.

With that in mind, I have a hand grinder and a filter cone that fits right over my Thermos. With ease, I can brew 2 cups of coffee.

No inverter needed.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #17

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Boiling water on the stove and pouring it thru a coffee filter takes about 5 minutes. Saves your batteries too. You are supposed to be roughing it. It's called camping.
I've decided to just go with a mouth of instant coffee and hot water and then go jogging to mix. Saves money and battery's.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #18

THOR #1765
Quote:
I've decided to just go with a mouth of instant coffee and hot water and then go jogging to mix. Saves money and battery's.
That'll work.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #19
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I am a coffee snob. I roast my own from green beans and make my own blends. Kinda like a wine snob; but with coffee.

Also, grinding right before brewing is the best. Green coffee beans last about a year. Once roasted, about a month. Once ground, maybe a day.

No inverter needed.
OH My Gosh !!! and I have been accused of being a Coffee Crazy person !!!
You roast your own beans !! Amazing !! I want to learn the process !
French Press is as 'pure' as I get .. and that requires, as you know, the right temp of water and the correct grind of the beans.
I like to create my own blend of beans. This might be a new adventure in coffee !
Jeep Wrangler TJ