Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Axis 25.1
State: Maine
THOR #3986
LED light bar

I finally got some photos of the LED light bar that I installed in the front grill as requested by another member. This works very well. I have wired it through a relay and it is tied to a separate switch on the dash as well as the high beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light bar install.png
Views:	601
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	5117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light bar on.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	5118  

Old 06-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #42

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlamoreaux View Post
I finally got some photos of the LED light bar that I installed in the front grill as requested by another member. This works very well. I have wired it through a relay and it is tied to a separate switch on the dash as well as the high beams.
How did you do the wiring and get it connected to high beams?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #43

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
How did you do the wiring and get it connected to high beams?

I tied a wire into the high beam feed right at the headlight. That way I knew I had the right wire. I ran the new wire into the cab to my switch, from the switch I ran the wire back to the engine compartment to the relay for the light bar. This way I can use the light bar only while the high beams are on (driving on the back roads in Maine) but i also have the switch in case I don't want it on.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #44

THOR #6877
Quote:
I tied a wire into the high beam feed right at the headlight. That way I knew I had the right wire. I ran the new wire into the cab to my switch, from the switch I ran the wire back to the engine compartment to the relay for the light bar. This way I can use the light bar only while the high beams are on (driving on the back roads in Maine) but i also have the switch in case I don't want it on.
Nice thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #45

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
Front TV Upgrades:
Added a Full Motion Swivel Articulating mount

You mentioned the above modification for your TV. I am looking for something in the way of a mounting device that will allow me to drop the TV monitor down below where it is above the front door as it hurts my neck and shoulders to have to look up at that angle. They seem to sell such things for TV's mounted over fireplaces but none small enough for a 32" monitor.

Can you say more about the nature of the "full motion swivel articulating mount" that you installed if it does this? If so, how did you manage to install it?

thanks,

karen
I posted a mod I did on our Axis that uses a dropdown tv mount, its page 48 of the axis/vegas mods here
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...go-820-48.html
This makes watching the living area tv so much more comfortable.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #46

Model: Axis 25.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4589
Love the upgrades!!

I hope this comes out ok. I have the same 2016 Thor Axis 25.1 and I love your upgrades but have many questions about them. I am a single woman that uses my RV to travel to dog shows and since I mostly travel alone I think some of these would be great!

Quote:

Added 2 7" LED backup lights - Pictures & Info Please
Added a 25" LED light bar in the front grill Pictures & Info Please
Added 2 6,000# Stabilizing Scissor Jacks to the rear of the coach - I have no idea what this does for the RV.. please explain a little further.. also Pictures & Info Please
Added a Safe-T-Plus steering control I have no idea what this does for the RV.. please explain a little further.. also Pictures & Info Please
Added an extended stay "T" to the propane system I have no idea what this does for the RV.. please explain a little further.. also Pictures & Info Please

Center Console Upgrades:
Built a custom console located below the radio with a shelf, 2 cup holders and a large drawer for maps... LOVE THIS - Do you make them for others??
Added 2 4" speakers built into a little pod that hangs from the overhead. I can barely hear my radio, so this sounds like a good fix.. Pictures & Info Please

Passenger Compartment Upgrades:
Raised the cup holder and added an extension to the rear with 2 small plastic trays to hold phone, glasses... Pictures & Info Please
Build a 4" tall 6" wide and 16" long foot stool with a 2" memory foam top covered in a soft matching brown vinyl that slides up under the dash when not in use Pictures & Info Please

Front TV Upgrades:
Added a Full Motion Swivel Articulating mount Pictures & Info Please
Added a Winegard RV-WING Wingman White UHF Booster TV Antenna Pictures & Info Please

Dinette Upgrades:My dinette serves as a bed since the back has been turned into a dog room with crates and show supplies.
Added a full width and length drawer to the forward bench Pictures & Info Please
Added a door to the aft bench for access Pictures & Info Please

Other upgrades:
Installed a hardwired EMS between the transfer switch and the coach power system Pictures & Info Please

Sorry for the long post. If anyone would like more info please let me know and I can add it here. I have pictures, where I bought everything with prices.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #47
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Scissor jacks on the rear looks something like this:

Name:	jackrear2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	8087

Name:	jackrear3.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	8088
They help stabilize the coach (reduce the shakes when someone is walking around, or tossing & turning while sleeping). Since you are on your own you may not notice it as much (unless you have a large pup with you).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #48

State: Florida
THOR #10318
Question

How did the safe-t-plus work after installation. Was it worth it. Where did you get it. My motorhome is on a 450 chassis. An Axis 26.3 year 2017. Thanks

John
Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #49

THOR #6877
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
How did the safe-t-plus work after installation. Was it worth it. Where did you get it. My motorhome is on a 450 chassis. An Axis 26.3 year 2017. Thanks

John
Many of us have done it. Have them installed professionally as it takes many iterations to get the steering straight but makes a huge difference in ride stability in my opinion. The bump stops are also easy to have installed. As Jamie and others have said, it takes you from white knuckle to one hand relaxed driving!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #50

THOR #3986
kats9137 I'll try to take this piece by piece, feel free to ask more questions if I don't explain it well enough

Added 2 7" LED backup lights - Pictures & Info Please
The lights were bought from Amazon for $38 2 Auxbeam 7" 36W LED Light Bar 3600LM CREE 60 Degree Flood Beam back up lights wired into the trailer light connector. Just look under the back of the coach and you will see the trailer connector, using a tester figure out which wires go to the back up lights and splice into that wire.

Added a 25" LED light bar in the front grill Pictures & Info Please
Pictures are above the part is SLDX 120w 25/27inch Single Row Off Road Cree Led Light Bar 12V Bar Light Spot Flood Beam for Truck 4WD SUV ATV Jeep IP68 - Amazon $55

Added an extended stay "T" to the propane system I have no idea what this does for the RV.. please explain a little further.. also Pictures & Info Please
This is a "T" connection that allows you to shut off your on board tank and connect a portable tank to run off. The part is Camco 59125 Propane Brass Tee with 5' Hose for $55, we installed it so we could hook up an external propane tank in case we were unable to get the internal one filled (not many places in Maine). But we have yet to need it because the installed tank lasts much longer then we expected.

Added 2 4" speakers built into a little pod that hangs from the overhead. I can barely hear my radio, so this sounds like a good fix.. Pictures & Info Please
Pictures are included in the post, I made the housing out of some 1/2" plywood and covered it with vinyl but you could do the same thing with 2 small surface mount speakers. I had the speakers from another project which is why I went this way. If I were starting from scratch I would have just bought surface mount speakers.

Old 12-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #51

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Light Bars

The World's Only DOT Approved Street Legal LED Light Bar - Better Automotive Lighting

fyi, Most LED light bars are only for off-road use.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #52

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
$630 !!! Yikes!
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #53

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Many of us have done it. Have them installed professionally as it takes many iterations to get the steering straight but makes a huge difference in ride stability in my opinion. The bump stops are also easy to have installed. As Jamie and others have said, it takes you from white knuckle to one hand relaxed driving!
I also changed out the shocks to Bilsteins. The change was dramatic, no more porpoising after dips in the highway and with the Sump shocks (bump stop) sway is a lot less. I haven't been in a big cross wind yet to evaluate that particular pucker inducer but the ride is much more confident.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #54

THOR #10354
How big of a noise reduction effect did you get from just covering the doghouse? I am planning to add noise insulation under the entire dash in the "engine" compartment. The noise isolation may be the one thing that Thor could vastly improve on.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #55

THOR #10354
I assume these are welded on. I am looking for a no weld solution.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #56

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
I assume these are welded on. I am looking for a no weld solution.

Mine are not welded on. I used a 3" wide 1/4" thick flat bar about 5" long that I drilled and mounted with 2, 5/16" bolts mounting it to the frame. I thine bolted the jack to the plate with 4, 5/16" bolts. Everything was installed with lock nuts.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #57

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #15189
Quote:
Attached is a few pictures of the center console I made. In addition to the added functionality it allowed me to drape a layer of MLV over the fiberglass doghouse to further my noise abatement efforts.

sorry if this is screwed up I have never tried to post a picture.
Hi. Really interest d in how you built your console modification. We find our console lacking in usable space as well
Old 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #58

THOR #3986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellicott@gmail.com View Post
Hi. Really interest d in how you built your console modification. We find our console lacking in usable space as well

I removed the dog house and built a plywood frame around the curved shape and added the drawer and top matching the shape I came up with. Hopefully the photos will clear up the description.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	console build.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	19290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170311_072722.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	19291  

Name:	20170311_072754.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	19292  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #59

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New York
THOR #13482
Hi, can you post the pictures of the door and drawer you made for the bench seats? I am interested in doing that for my ACE 29.2 dinette bench seats.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #60

THOR #3986
I will take some tonight. For the door I simply unscrewed the finished end of the bench and installed hinges and a hasp. The finished end of other bench becomes the front of the drawer.

Tags
25.1, axis, mods, upgrades