Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #27281
2016 thor chateau, pre wired for 2nd Ac?

Hey,
I’ve got a 2106 thor chateau 31e class c. I would like to install a second AC unit in the master bedroom. It’s got a ceiling fan which is where I would like to install the 2nd AC. Does anyone know if I remove that fan, will there be a power cable sufficient to run a 2nd Ac unit feeding back to my breaker panel? It looks like I’ll need to upgrade my 30 amp panel to 50 to handle the load. Can this be done?
Thanx!

Old 07-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No, it is not pre-wired for that second A/C.
Search the forum, lots of people have added a second A/C with it's own external power connection that they can plug into the 15 amp receptacle at the power pole.

You CAN convert to a 50 amp power panel but that adds a lot of cost and complexity to the "adding a second A/C" project. Some have opted to go that route as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
^^^what he said^^^ The 14"x14" hole is standard for the roof vents and the a/c dimensions. If it's a ducted ceiling make sure you purchase a "ducted" unit so you can tie it into that airflow and get the benefit up front also. I'm not sure how the duct system works when there is only one air in it as you have from the factory. Lots of folks here have done this and will come to your aid soon.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
^^^what he said^^^ The 14"x14" hole is standard for the roof vents and the a/c dimensions. If it's a ducted ceiling make sure you purchase a "ducted" unit so you can tie it into that airflow and get the benefit up front also. I'm not sure how the duct system works when there is only one air in it as you have from the factory. Lots of folks here have done this and will come to your aid soon.
To answer your question, at least in our MH:

The ducts are not cut into that bedroom opening.
We installed a non-ducted unit in the bedroom - works just like a standard non-ducted A/C unit.
It had no effect on the front A/C running air to the ducts in the bedroom.
Half the cooling air in the bedroom A/C shoots straight down the hall to the front of the MH if the bedroom door is open, plus, return to the front A/C from the ducts in the bedroom entrains cooler bedroom air to the front of the MH.
Running both A/Cs will cool down the MH to the 72 degree setting in about an hour, even with the cab curtains open, with outside temps in the upper 90s. Once there, the front A/C can maintain it. But before, with just the front A/C running, you'd be lucky to break 80 inside in the heat of the day with all the temp conservation items in place.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote