Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3203
Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Looking for recommendations for the best front shocks to stop the jarring from rough roads!
We made a trip to New England from Florida and the jarring on I 95 broke the door shelf in the refrigerator and a drawer retainer, not mention the beating on your body.
We run about 65 mph and some of the roads really jar the coach---and the passengers!
It is a serious enough problem that we are considering trading.
It handles great with the steering stabilizer and rear sumo springs.
Tire pressure is 100 pounds. I haven't been able to get corner weights yet, but I will when I find a scale that does the individual wheel weight instead of just axles and gross weight.
Seriously, I tired different shocks have kumo’s etc. It’s the Ford 58 chassis. I travel with my 2015 WiNdsport to northern Mn from West Palm Beach every year and it’s rough.
So my suggestions are prepare the cabin, drive a different way which I know sometimes you can’t, drive slower?, buy a different Motorhome, and that doesn’t help, stay home.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #22

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Tennessee
THOR #18316
I had an original Bilstein leaking oil after only 6000 miles on the coach. I replaced them with Monroe Magnum RV shocks based on a recommendation on this forum. When I pulled the Bilstein's off I couldn't believe how light and flimsy they were. I realize that heavy doesn't necessarily mean good, but every other suspension component on these F53's is pretty robust. The original's are no heavier than most car shocks I've seen and have a rod about the same diameter. The Monroe's are twice as heavy, if that means anything, and hopefully will last longer than 6K miles.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:28 AM   #23

Model: Windsport 31J
State: Virginia
THOR #4713
Koni and Sumo

Koni shocks well worth the money. Installed Sumo front and rear last year made cross country trip bearable. Added the Koni shocks and this year's trip was even better. Nice smooth ride. Wind sport 31J.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #24

Model: HURRICANE 35C
State: Florida
THOR #16807
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJsr View Post
Seriously, I tired different shocks have kumo’s etc. It’s the Ford 58 chassis. I travel with my 2015 WiNdsport to northern Mn from West Palm Beach every year and it’s rough.
So my suggestions are prepare the cabin, drive a different way which I know sometimes you can’t, drive slower?, buy a different Motorhome, and that doesn’t help, stay home.
Thanks, your comment was a lot of help! By the way, I have the F-53, not the F-58!