Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #12364
ACE 29.3 Bathroom Door fell off!

I swear Oklahoma has got to have the worst roads in the U.S., we were driving thru eastern part of state and it got so rough the sliding bathroom door track pulled out of ceiling. The door was jammed up were you could not move it either direction, I was able to get the door down and the track had 3ea #6 couarse treated screws holding it to ceiling. I need to put it back up was wondering what would be an adequate fastener to use and what kind of structure is up there in the ceiling?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
Our Windsport 29M did the same thing....lousy design/installation. Looked like they tried different size/type screws to find something solid to anchor to but, when they couldn’t, just put more in. Since ours is under warranty took it back to the dealer. We are getting it back tomorrow, will let you know what they do. I suggested hollow wall anchors or molly bolts, will see.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
What about a heavy-Duty epoxy?
Do you think that would hold?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #4

THOR #11919
I thought about just using liquid nails or equivalent but you need to be able to remove that frame to take down the door. If glued you wouldn’t ever be able to remove the door, given my luck, didn’t want to commit to gluing the frame. They should have just put in a backing member in the ceiling to screw into. Would have been simple, cheap and permanent. Dumb.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #5

THOR #11919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead206 View Post
I swear Oklahoma has got to have the worst roads in the U.S., we were driving thru eastern part of state and it got so rough the sliding bathroom door track pulled out of ceiling. The door was jammed up were you could not move it either direction, I was able to get the door down and the track had 3ea #6 couarse treated screws holding it to ceiling. I need to put it back up was wondering what would be an adequate fastener to use and what kind of structure is up there in the ceiling?

Heard back from the dealer today on the door repair. Said factory used too few and too small screws to attach the frame to the ceiling. They contacted Thor to find out where the rafters are but found them to be “not much help”. He drilled small pilot holes along the length of the frame to find something solid and the put in more, larger diameter screws thru the track into the ceiling. Said he used about 10 screws, at least twice the diameter of the original ones. Sounds solid, I guess time will tell.