Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2021, 03:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #22247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jph View Post
I also have a 2017 Thor. After doing everything you mentioned it would still not track like it should. Ended up getting the caster increased to +5 and that solved the problem. Good luck with yours.
Which model do you have? I wish I know this last week before alignment. Next week I am going to install all parts. If won’t work I will try caster setting as well. Did you do that at alignment service or DIY?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:51 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jph View Post
I also have a 2017 Thor. After doing everything you mentioned it would still not track like it should. Ended up getting the caster increased to +5 and that solved the problem. Good luck with yours.
I keep reading the +5* of caster on here as the solution to a crappy handing rig. That much positive caster should indeed make the truck track better but what I would like to know is where to find Ford's alignment spec?

As an old automotive "Tech" I would like to see what Ford calls for on the camber, caster and toe in. When I haul the coach over to the next county to the truck garage for an alignment I kinda want to know that I am getting what I paid for and not some kids idea its within specs.
I already had to tell the kid at the last RV shop how to pull the steering column out of the gear box and rotate the splines to center the wheel. Even after free schooling I still got charged a buck and a half. Wish I wasn't in such piss poor physical shape I'd do more myself.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #23
Jph

State: Alabama
THOR #17238
I have the 37LX Chalanger. After having other alignment shops tinker with it without improvement I found a commercial Ford dealer that works on big rigs and MHs. They have the electronics and experience to fine tune it. They say that the set up for every chassis has it’s own sweet spot. My caster is set at 5.3 on left and 5.8 on right. The 5.8 is a little out of spec but that’s what it needed. People have told me live with poor steering because that’s the way F53 chassis is. Not true.
Good luck
Old 02-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #24

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I keep reading the +5* of caster on here as the solution to a crappy handing rig. That much positive caster should indeed make the truck track better but what I would like to know is where to find Ford's alignment spec?

As an old automotive "Tech" I would like to see what Ford calls for on the camber, caster and toe in. When I haul the coach over to the next county to the truck garage for an alignment I kinda want to know that I am getting what I paid for and not some kids idea its within specs.
I already had to tell the kid at the last RV shop how to pull the steering column out of the gear box and rotate the splines to center the wheel. Even after free schooling I still got charged a buck and a half. Wish I wasn't in such piss poor physical shape I'd do more myself.
You have the F53 chassis
The +5 being discussed is for the E series 350 or 450
Most alignment shops will not automatically adjust the caster as parts need to be ordered and extra expense is incurred.

So when you are ready to have your E series chassis aligned, I suggest that you have a conversation with the mechanic about what you are reading on this (and other RV Forums). That the caster adjustment makes a world of difference in proper tracking.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:43 PM   #25

THOR #22247
Finally stuff below installed by local truck repair shop. I was wasn’t able to diy because of my back pain. I paid $1200 I test drive for short trip it is definitely improving the driving like day and night. Beginning of April planing to go couple days camping 3 hour far to test before Florida trip.

Safe-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer 31-140 Silver
-Safe-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer Mounting Kit (Model: E-353K14)
- Roadmaster 1139-176 front Sway Bar
- Roadmaster Rear Anti-Sway Bar 1139-147
- SSF-106-47 | SumoSprings Front
- SuperSteer SS402 Rear Trac Bar
- MOOG K750322 Stabilizer Bar Link
Old 03-18-2021, 11:47 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
$1200 for just install? Or $1200 parts and install? Parts alone should be close to $1200 if not more.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #27

THOR #22247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
$1200 for just install? Or $1200 parts and install? Parts alone should be close to $1200 if not more.
Previous post I give prices for parts. I copy paste it for you from 1st page.
- Safe-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer 31-140 Silver $362.46
- Safe-T-Plus RV Steering Stabilizer Mounting Kit (Model: E-353K14) $60.66
- Roadmaster 1139-176 front Sway Bar $353.88
- Roadmaster Rear Anti-Sway Bar 1139-147 $479.96
- SuperSprings International, Inc. SSF-106-47 | SumoSprings Front for Ford E-150|E-250, Ford E-350|E-450 $184.99

Total part cost is $1441.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #28

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
You did it right!
You will be a happy camper.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #29

THOR #22247
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
You did it right!
You will be a happy camper.
Thank you. I am glad I did this investment. I fell more safe.now.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:12 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 25.5 / Keystone Mon
State: Arkansas
THOR #20441
Very nice! Unfortunate that so many consumers, including myself, have had to spend the money and time improving the driving experience and generally making these units safer on the roadway.

Enjoy!
Old 03-19-2021, 12:14 AM   #31

THOR #22247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas25.5 View Post
Very nice! Unfortunate that so many consumers, including myself, have had to spend the money and time improving the driving experience and generally making these units safer on the roadway.

Enjoy!
Thanks.