Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2021, 01:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini TK
State: New York
THOR #10420
Cool 2018 Gemini Solar Pre installed wiring, charge controller?

Forgive if this topic has been covered and point me to its location, Thanks!

Purchased the Gemini 23TK new 2018. It was my understanding from CW the Rv has some sort of solar starter kit already installed. this was a standard feature on most units as far as they explained. I have seen the two solar wire connectors on the roof for the solar pane connections.

Question: I am looking for knowledge concerning the presents of a charge controller ? Does the current inverter permit solar PV wire connections/termination or is there a separate charge controller to wire the PV into? Or do I need to get a charge controller appropriate for the Wattage desired?

If the equipment is already installed, is it located at the inverter, power distribution panel area of the Gemini ?

I am wondering what the largest capacity solar collector these set ups typically accept? And if the type of panel is crucial?

Just looking for 400 to 600 watts to top us off on longer boondocking stays.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:39 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Elcapitain. Welcome to the forum.

The solar controller is separate from the inverter(if you have an inverter). Coaches usually come with a converter and an inverter is usually considered optional. If your coach was sold with solar prewired, you should have a solar control panel somewhere inside the coach. It may be inside a cabinet or on the wall. Mine came with a 100 watt solar panel and controller which is a Go Power 10 amp digital Solar Controller inside the cabinet above my refrigerator. There should be 4 wires that go into it(two from the solar panel on the roof and two going to charge the coach batteries). On the roof might be a metal box or panel cover that hold the wires you need to connect to the solar panel(s) you install on the roof.

Hopefully that helps you out. You can check out the Go Power 10 amp solar controller online to see what it looks like.

Paul
Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

State: New York
THOR #10420
Thanks Paul, Yup, converter ! I just added a 3kw inverter. I am going to look above the fridge as there is a lot going on up there and in and around the converter for the other end of wires I see on the roof and the battery charge wires. Wasn't sure if pre wired ment it had a charge controller or the solar panel wires plug into the converter and the converter is dual purpose.... I am going to get into it this morning and try to locate what is where and try to determain if I need to get the charge controller. (I'm thinking that as cheap as Thor is, nothing has been supplied other than what was necessary) thanks for your information!
Old 01-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
The 2018 model year only has the rooftop connection and no charge controller. I have looked into installing a 100 watt solar kit and the best deal I have found on Amazon was made by Renogy, my local RV shop will install it for $200. BTW the wire from the rooftop
should be somewhere behind the converter/fuse box and should be orange
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Old 01-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The wires that Thor used to install my solar panel system are orange and white wires.

Paul
Old 06-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #6

State: Nova Scotia
THOR #14078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcapitain View Post
Forgive if this topic has been covered and point me to its location, Thanks!

Purchased the Gemini 23TK new 2018. It was my understanding from CW the Rv has some sort of solar starter kit already installed. this was a standard feature on most units as far as they explained. I have seen the two solar wire connectors on the roof for the solar pane connections.

Question: I am looking for knowledge concerning the presents of a charge controller ? Does the current inverter permit solar PV wire connections/termination or is there a separate charge controller to wire the PV into? Or do I need to get a charge controller appropriate for the Wattage desired?

If the equipment is already installed, is it located at the inverter, power distribution panel area of the Gemini ?

I am wondering what the largest capacity solar collector these set ups typically accept? And if the type of panel is crucial?

Just looking for 400 to 600 watts to top us off on longer boondocking stays.

Thanks in advance.
Did you have any luck installing solar that would give 400 watt top up. I want to install same on my TK and would appreciate your feedback.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #7

State: Nova Scotia
THOR #14078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
The 2018 model year only has the rooftop connection and no charge controller. I have looked into installing a 100 watt solar kit and the best deal I have found on Amazon was made by Renogy, my local RV shop will install it for $200. BTW the wire from the rooftop
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Did you install the Renogy solar panel?
Old 07-17-2021, 04:28 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Looking for input on locating components for after market solar. Mine is a 2017 Gemini TR and I am planning to add 200 watts to the roof. I could go the "portable" suitcase solar route but again I worried about storage. Any "best do it this way" recommendations? Nancy
Old 07-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
100 watt panels are way below$100 now... and an MPPT controller is about $140. If the connector is on the roof and the wiring is dropped near the battery, you're getting ripped off... $100 should be a fair price to install... that's probably about an hour job for someone with experience. All hardware for a 200 watt kit is around $300... install it yourself and save your beer money!
Old 07-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Looking for input on locating components for after market solar. Mine is a 2017 Gemini TR and I am planning to add 200 watts to the roof. I could go the "portable" suitcase solar route but again I worried about storage. Any "best do it this way" recommendations? Nancy
Was your Gemini prewired for solar? Do you camp in shady places a lot? Need these two answers to address your question.

David
Old 07-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Was your Gemini prewired for solar? Do you camp in shady places a lot? Need these two answers to address your question.

David
No I don't have any pre wiring. I prefer shade as AC can't keep up but do park in Sun if shade is not available. Currently in 5th day of full sun and fan kills batteries when run 24/7. Provincial park restrictions limit gen use. Assume best plan would be both🙂

Tags
charge controller, gemini 23tk, solar kit