RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
How difficult to get the doghouse off?
__________________

__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 297
THOR #7993
Thanks for the tip. Sometimes the engine is so loud I can hardly hear the radio.
__________________

__________________
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
It does. I put it in my engine compartment too. Big difference.
Are you saying in the engine compartment other than lining doghouse? If so, where? Any pictures?
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:46 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
I just put it along the fire wall between the engine and interior and the rest stuck to the top of the engine compartment as close to the firewall as I could.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
How difficult to get the doghouse off?
In the Vegas or Axis there are a half dozen or so screws up under the dash and the two big screws on the floor. Depending on how your coach was built the six screws under the dash can be hard or easy. In my Vegas, two of the screws were behind wooden pieces holding up the dash and they were difficult - but not impossible. It was a lot easier in my Axis. After you take out all the screws, you have to go around the bottom of the dog house and the floor with a putty knife to loosen up the putty that they used. I've done two and once you get the upper screws out, it is not difficult.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
upnyfolks's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
Posts: 146
THOR #5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I just put it along the fire wall between the engine and interior and the rest stuck to the top of the engine compartment as close to the firewall as I could.
I did the inside of the doghouse and everything I could reach from inside the coach then I covered the engine compartment accessed from the front.
Made a very big difference in reducing the engine and road noise. Conversation while driving is very comfortable now and the radio can be easily heard.
__________________
upnyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
In the Vegas or Axis there are a half dozen or so screws up under the dash and the two big screws on the floor. Depending on how your coach was built the six screws under the dash can be hard or easy. In my Vegas, two of the screws were behind wooden pieces holding up the dash and they were difficult - but not impossible. It was a lot easier in my Axis. After you take out all the screws, you have to go around the bottom of the dog house and the floor with a putty knife to loosen up the putty that they used. I've done two and once you get the upper screws out, it is not difficult.
Did you put new putty down when you put it back in place? If so, what type?
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,025
THOR #1150
When you're putting the fatmat/insulation from inside the front don't forget to cover the holes for the two A-Pillars. That made a huge reduction in sound for us.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
When you're putting the fatmat/insulation from inside the front don't forget to cover the holes for the two A-Pillars. That made a huge reduction in sound for us.
I think Thor figured that one out. Had the problem in my 2014 Vegas, but they had solved it in my 2016 Axis.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Did you put new putty down when you put it back in place? If so, what type?
No I did not add any putty. There was still a lot left on the floor when I pulled the dog house up. Never had an issue with it.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:43 AM   #31
Junior Member
 
2 Trail Hikers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
Posts: 28
THOR #7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Did this cut down on the horrendous engine noise?
I can't say for sure we haven't tested that part yet we did it mainly for the heat. But all research says it will. I'm planning to the floors on driver and passenger side also.
__________________
2018 Thor Vegas 25.3
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2trailhikers/
or on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Trail Hikers View Post
I can't say for sure we haven't tested that part yet we did it mainly for the heat. But all research says it will. I'm planning to the floors on driver and passenger side also.
It made a 10 db difference in my 2014 Vegas. Not as much in my 2016 Axis as Thor had fixed some of the noise issues. But on both I was/am able to carry on a normal conversation and hear the radio.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
2 Trail Hikers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
Posts: 28
THOR #7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
It made a 10 db difference in my 2014 Vegas. Not as much in my 2016 Axis as Thor had fixed some of the noise issues. But on both I was/am able to carry on a normal conversation and hear the radio.
Thats great to "hear". i would like it to be a bit quieter, but we noticed that the cover was getting extremely hot to the point our dog would have to get up and move from it I opted to go with the 3/4" hoodliner from Dynamat for the insulation. I have enough left over to do the floors on each side of the engine cover. I am curious to see how people have done the firewall. I was wondering if it was done on the engine side or passenger compartment side.
__________________
2018 Thor Vegas 25.3
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2trailhikers/
or on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Trail Hikers View Post
Thats great to "hear". i would like it to be a bit quieter, but we noticed that the cover was getting extremely hot to the point our dog would have to get up and move from it I opted to go with the 3/4" hoodliner from Dynamat for the insulation. I have enough left over to do the floors on each side of the engine cover. I am curious to see how people have done the firewall. I was wondering if it was done on the engine side or passenger compartment side.
I did mine in the engine side.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
2 Trail Hikers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
Posts: 28
THOR #7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I did mine in the engine side.
Ill have to get under there and take a look to see what i can do on ours
__________________
2018 Thor Vegas 25.3
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2trailhikers/
or on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I did mine in the engine side.
Do you come in from underneath or how do you get to the engine side of the firewall?
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Oneilkeys's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
Posts: 2,409
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Do you come in from underneath or how do you get to the engine side of the firewall?
I crawled in thru the front hood over the engine.
__________________
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
2 Trail Hikers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
Posts: 28
THOR #7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I crawled in thru the front hood over the engine.
You must be a lot smaller than me lol. i am starting to think they changed something with the 2018 front end.
__________________
2018 Thor Vegas 25.3
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2trailhikers/
or on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
Posts: 1
THOR #8182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Trail Hikers View Post
Attachment 5589Got the dog house insulated with Dynamat hood liner.
Why did you insulate.. heat, noise or both? Are you going to post a video? Which material did you use?
__________________
dan77505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #40
Junior Member
 
2 Trail Hikers's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.3
State: South Carolina
Posts: 28
THOR #7750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77505 View Post
Why did you insulate.. heat, noise or both? Are you going to post a video? Which material did you use?
I didn't do a video on the insulation it would have been a lot of me cutting fitting cutting fitting cussing fitting LOL. Our issue was the amount of heat radiating through the cover it was hot not warm but hot to the touch. Our dog prefers to lay between us up front but kept moving back in the coach and coming back only to lay down and move again within minutes. Wife started petting the dog and he felt really warm so she touched the cover and found the source of the heat. I imagine it will cut down on noise but the noise didn't bother me my full time job is at a fire department and when i drive the big trucks they are way noisier inside than the vegas. I am sure if it reduces noise we will be happy but the key was to cut down on the heat. There is several different products out there to do this but I went with Dynamat simply based on the reputation. I have seen people use fatmat with success, and even some that have used peel and seal from Lowes. Ill post a link to what i ordered, it was enough to do the engine cover and I have enough leftover to do other areas as I find them.

http://amzn.to/2tRLX72
__________________

__________________
2018 Thor Vegas 25.3
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/2trailhikers/
or on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaK...x_A6fFbJU_ZquQ
2 Trail Hikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×