Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Winegard CarryOut G2

Turns out our MH we took delivery today on has a roof mounted Winegard CarryOut G2. Sweet! In doing some research after getting home with the Rig, it has a power inserter that is set for Dish according to the manual. We have DirecTV and it looks like we will need a converter/splitter dealio to work with our DirecTV reciever. Looks like these run ~$75 on Amazon.

I noticed when up on the ladder, there are two coax leads, one to the front cab TV and the other to the bedroom TV.

OK, to the question. Does anyone have this particular antenna/dish and how does it work for you?

Thanks
JJ

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
I have used a G2 with a Directv DVR for a couple of years. With DTV and the G2 you can only receive Standard Definition broadcasts.

If you remove the plastic cover on the antenna you will find a DIP switch inside that you will need to change to receive DTV broadcasts instead of DISH. You should be able to download a G2 manual from Winegard's website.

The two coax connectors on the antenna allow you to connect to two separate receivers. If there are two coax cables connected to the antenna and running to two separate locations you should be able to connect a receiver to each cable and watch your DTV broadcasts in each location. You cannot use a splitter with DTV. I have an older DVR receiver that has two coax connectors that I can connect to the two connectors on the antenna. This allows us to watch one show and record another.

Our G2 is not mounted to the roof. We stay in many places where the trees block our view of the satellites. We run 60 ft. coax and power cables outside so that we can set up the antenna where it can get a clear view of the satellites.

You should be able to find this info on Winegard's website. Or just call their Customer Service Dept for help.

Hopefully this is enough information to get you started.

Dave
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck27 View Post
I have used a G2 with a Directv DVR for a couple of years. With DTV and the G2 you can only receive Standard Definition broadcasts.

If you remove the plastic cover on the antenna you will find a DIP switch inside that you will need to change to receive DTV broadcasts instead of DISH. You should be able to download a G2 manual from Winegard's website.

The two coax connectors on the antenna allow you to connect to two separate receivers. If there are two coax cables connected to the antenna and running to two separate locations you should be able to connect a receiver to each cable and watch your DTV broadcasts in each location. You cannot use a splitter with DTV. I have an older DVR receiver that has two coax connectors that I can connect to the two connectors on the antenna. This allows us to watch one show and record another.

Our G2 is not mounted to the roof. We stay in many places where the trees block our view of the satellites. We run 60 ft. coax and power cables outside so that we can set up the antenna where it can get a clear view of the satellites.

You should be able to find this info on Winegard's website. Or just call their Customer Service Dept for help.

Hopefully this is enough information to get you started.

Dave
I was on the Winegard site and was looking at the manual. It showed a small rectangular ‘box’ that had a banke of switches and showed Dish vs DTV positions. They call the box a power inserter. Coax in/out and a 12v power. We have H25 receivers that according to the site need a converter kit to work with the Winegard. I am confused thought as how the coax is tied into the OTA cabling if at all. As it is right now the TVS are running off the King Jack antenna.

Thanks
JJ
FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
1. Inside the antenna dome you have to set the DIP switch for Directv. It looks like all of the switches are up except for the far right one which is down.

2. Since you have an SWM DTV receiver and the G2 antenna can't connect directly to the DTV receiver you will need the Winegard SWM-840 SWM Kit that includes the power inverter to connect your receivers to the G2.

3. Because the G2 antenna (and other satellite antennas) and DTV receivers require a "straight through" coax cable connection you cannot use the OTA or Park coax cabling to connect with the G2 and DTV receivers. The OTA booster and splitter are not compatible with DTV. A few years ago I had a travel trailer that had two separate coax connectors on the outside. One was for the park cable hookup and the other was for satellite hookup. My Thor motorhome only has one connector for RV park cable hookups.

We hardly ever watch tv in the bedroom.
Our kitchen and TV are on the passenger side of the rig and the DVR sits on the kitchen counter. I used to run the satellite coax cable through the kitchen window directly to the DVR. That was ok because we could still close the window enough to keep out the cold air. But I always had to remove the screen and mosquitoes and other small bugs got in. So I installed an exterior cable TV connector on the passenger side just above the kitchen counter. Now I can connect the satellite coax to the external connection and don't have to run the coax through the window. Since this is a direct connection through the wall it doesn't impede the connectivity between the G2 and the DVR.

Dave
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote