Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #21123
Aria sound system

I have done several searches on the forum but got lost.
Here are my questions—thank you in advance. .
I have a 2020 Aria 3401 with Axerra setup. Just put on 2,000 miles. The radio and speakers are terrible. Can't really even understand what is being said or sung.
Any recommendations for how to replace the Axerra and/or speakers??

Also, we fought non stop, dangerous wind. I have had the Safe T Plus stabilizer installed but had little effect. The RV dealer is recommending some new "springs" that are supposed to help.
Any insights or recommendations there as well??

Thank you.
Greg Mathison

Old 03-31-2021, 11:13 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmsrphd View Post
I have done several searches on the forum but got lost.

Here are my questions—thank you in advance. .

I have a 2020 Aria 3401 with Axerra setup. Just put on 2,000 miles. The radio and speakers are terrible. Can't really even understand what is being said or sung.

Any recommendations for how to replace the Axerra and/or speakers??

Also, we fought non stop, dangerous wind. I have had the Safe T Plus stabilizer installed but had little effect. The RV dealer is recommending some new "springs" that are supposed to help.

Any insights or recommendations there as well??

Thank you.

Greg Mathison

Sorry to hear about your problems. Upgrading the radio is pretty straightforward. Any double DIN will work and installation generally isn’t too bad because access is easy. You’ll probably have to cut the connector off of your old unit and wire it to the new. If you buy from Crutchfield they may be able to install a new connector for you if yours is standard to Axerra. I’d suggest an amp and better speakers as well.

Handling shouldn’t be scary after adding a steering stabilizer. I’d have an alignment done by an independent truck shop that does that sort of thing. New or additional springs are not likely to make a big difference (in my opinion, of course). It’ll never handle like a sports car but it shouldn’t be scary either. Maybe it also gets better with practice. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:55 AM   #3

THOR #21123
Thank you.
Any recommendations on replacement radio and speakers?
What we experienced were major gusts while up and down hills and open areas. Truckers were being blown as well. Scary part was crossing the Mississippi on a high bridge with 90 degree cross wind—and of course the bridge under construction with lanes closed. Go figure.
Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmsrphd View Post
Thank you.
Any recommendations on replacement radio and speakers?
What we experienced were major gusts while up and down hills and open areas. Truckers were being blown as well. Scary part was crossing the Mississippi on a high bridge with 90 degree cross wind—and of course the bridge under construction with lanes closed. Go figure.
Thanks again.

My recommendation on your sound system is to visit the Crutchfield website and poke around. (Especially at their scratch and dent page. I’ve ordered from it several times and never been disappointed though it may not be for everyone). And/or give them a call. They are terrific people and will help you match your budget and interests. I like Kenwood and put the same mid-level unit in both my Jeep and my RV so I don’t have to remember how to run different units!

It’ll be hard to entirely eliminate wind effects on such a big box. If you’re new to it you might find that it gets easier with practice. A good alignment, a light grip on the steering wheel and focusing your attention farther down the road all can help.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

THOR #21123
Thank you.