Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21889
2019 Thor Chateau Class C RV issue with mud flaper

on the 2019 Thor Chateau Class C RV, I think the way to holding the mud flaps design has issues, on the rear wheels the mud flaps just not strong enough to hold in place, when the floppy sheet broken by the wind, the rear wheels will chewing the mud flaps off.

Not sure how many owner have that kind of issues, this issue happened on my both rear wheels, end up I need purchase new flaps and design the new way to holding the flaps because the side of holder broken off.

Please follow if you had same issue.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
on the 2019 Thor Chateau Class C RV, I think the way to holding the mud flaps design has issues, on the rear wheels the mud flaps just not strong enough to hold in place, when the floppy sheet broken by the wind, the rear wheels will chewing the mud flaps off.

Not sure how many owner have that kind of issues, this issue happened on my both rear wheels, end up I need purchase new flaps and design the new way to holding the flaps because the side of holder broken off.

Please follow if you had same issue.

Happened on my Freedom Elite class C. I sent Thor customer service rep a photo of the chewed through mud flap and they sent me a pair of new ones at no charge. I reinforced the mounting with angle iron and used bolts instead of screws. No further problems. Easy DIY repair.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #3

THOR #21889
very nice, I purchase them from online and install them with the stronger frame plates, so far so good.

this issue could be really bad for the safety, since there has metal strips and screws, could damage the tires and make the rv running to a accident.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have owned 2 Chateau RVs, and they both had the issues with the mud flaps. The little screws rip out of the side attachments and the flaps rub on the tires. It's a poor design. I use zip ties to hold them forward away from the tires, and I've installed new screws, but this isn't a permanent fix.

Where did you buy the new flaps?
Old 01-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #5

THOR #21889
yes, I did same, use the zip ties to holding the new flaps, even I install stronger metal support, just want double secure it.
I think I bought them from Amazon, the size little bit bigger, I cut them to fit, was very easy to cut.
You might want add stronger support for the flaps, You can buy the 2" metal bar from home depot and mount to the frame to support the flaps. I did it, so far so good.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:08 PM   #6

THOR #21889
watch out the zip ties, mine was broken off and mud flap been chewed by tire. right now, I am using the metal wire to replace the zip ties. I wish the metal wire can do better than zip ties.

Tags
mud flap