Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
2019 thor hurricane front wind noise????

need some help here folks please..... I've exhausted myself with trying to stop the noise...every time I think I got it … turns out not...I fixed the sliding side window noise, now it' closes proper, and no noise from there,...

I took the whole upper header above the windshield out, insulated it, and reinstalled....again, quieted that area... but still wind noise...

I sealed the windshield pillars where air was getting in there... better, but noise still there...
thinking that the frameless windows was causing it, I duct taped the front edge and again, quieter,... but still not fixed..

the other thing that's going on is that there is fiberglass grindings all over the dash.... this makes you itch like crazy and you drive down the road like a crack head scratching your face...

55mph and under ,... quiet...picks up at 55 and get worse..at 70 mph... horrible...

I've read and heard about the ace grille problem,,.. but nothing on the hurricane/ windsport model..

the noise is like a window is open...the next idea I have is that the windshield is not sealing???could it be that the air pressure is getting between the rubber seal and lifting at freeway speed??? could it be that the front cap hole for the windshield is cut wrong???? there's defiant air getting in because of the fiberglass dust all over the dash...

most all of the coaches that I have had this problem I have found air coming up the windshield pillar... but on the hurricane you can't get the trim cover off the pillar as it went in before the dash...

I have a DB meter somewhere, need to find it and tape it to a stick so I can chase the noise....but... it could be just resonating off the front grille and traveling up the windshield post... I have a smoke test machine that I could try to rig somehow under the hood to see if smoke comes inside????? like I said....I need help please...

Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 AM   #2

THOR #12329
nothing???
Old 02-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you done the grill fix? Apparently some of the F-53 based A's have a whistle from the grill--a call to Thor will get you a new one.

If its not a whistle: is the grill/hood loose? Perhaps its banging around--use some weatherstripping to tighten it up a little.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #4

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Have you done the grill fix? Apparently some of the F-53 based A's have a whistle from the grill--a call to Thor will get you a new one.

If its not a whistle: is the grill/hood loose? Perhaps its banging around--use some weatherstripping to tighten it up a little.

Thanks for posting, it's not a whistle noise, and no banging or clunking... Its a wind leak noise, and it sounds like wind is coming up the a pillar...or the windshield seal is leaking...I need to run it down to the truck wash and see if it leaks when they pressure wash the front.... I haven't drove it in the rain yet... that would also identify if it's the windshield....air is defendant coming in because of the fiber glass shavings all over the dash,,I worked on it yester day and did a lot of sealing ...we'll see...gonna test with a DB meter , that way I can pinpoint where the noise is loudest,,, wife say it doesn't do it on the passenger side

the noise, depending on head wind , starts about 50 mph and gets worse with speed...
Old 02-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
There have been posts about the weatherstripping around the window leaking air/water.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
You can try taping around the entire windsheild (Blue panters tape so its not so hard to remove) to see if that helps then silicone yourself (Good luck with getting the dealer to seal in a timely manner).

I think the mirrors on mine make some of the wind noise. You can try to angle them more to make more areo but still have them in adjustment so you can see from the drivers seat?

Let us know what you find.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

THOR #12329
Quote:
There have been posts about the weatherstripping around the window leaking air/water.
Window or windshield??
Old 02-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #8

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
You can try taping around the entire windsheild (Blue panters tape so its not so hard to remove) to see if that helps then silicone yourself (Good luck with getting the dealer to seal in a timely manner).

I think the mirrors on mine make some of the wind noise. You can try to angle them more to make more areo but still have them in adjustment so you can see from the drivers seat?

Let us know what you find.

I found another air leak to the front... where the defrost vents go,... they put about 6 or 7 inch hole for the defrost hose to go through , so the air is getting in behind the dash board... sealed that up and went for a drive with my db meter..don't try this without someone holding your beer, with beer safe I took the dp meter around the windshield,... jumper from low 50's to middle 70's... once we got to 70 mph.. wind noise got loud... like 82 db...so my next test is gonna be tape over the windshield rubber and test again..
Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
Window or windshield??
Front windshield.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

THOR #12329
Quote:
Front windshield.
Thanks, beginning to think that's where it's coming from
Old 02-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Ok, keep us updated. Its crazy what they tear up install stuff on the RV.

You will need to line the entire underside of the dash (from under the hood) with dynomatt and Fat Matt. I did the entire underside of the dash and the firewall (as well as the dog house) and it made my axis much quieter. But now I can hear the wind noise from like the mirror or windows (but no leaks) at like 70+. Its not real bad but I would still like to get ride of some of it.

Im working on some ideas for the mirrors.... I will post my results.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #12

THOR #12329
ok, found the problem , there is a gap all down the drivers side where the windshield isn't sealed, water and air gets in....I taped the outside and noise gone...
Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
ok, found the problem , there is a gap all down the drivers side where the windshield isn't sealed, water and air gets in....I taped the outside and noise gone...
You could call a local window place to see if they will help seal it up (perhaps after speaking with Thor to see if they would pay/warranty the fix).
Old 02-27-2019, 01:36 AM   #14

THOR #12329
does anyone here know how the windshield is installed??? as in is it glued in with urethane??? or does the rubber molding hold it in????also if you pull the rubber trim from the out side... what holds the other half of the molding... the part it snaps into???
Old 02-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #15

THOR #12231
I dont think the molding holds in the glass on any modern vehicle.

I would get some sort of adhesive designed for windsheilds..... that is if you cant get your local RV dealer to help you in a promp manor or they are weaseling out of repairing for free.

Dont use too much sealant where it oozes out and makes a mess, Plus tape both side of the sealing area so if it does ooze its an easy cleanup.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #16

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I dont think the molding holds in the glass on any modern vehicle.

I would get some sort of adhesive designed for windsheilds..... that is if you cant get your local RV dealer to help you in a promp manor or they are weaseling out of repairing for free.

Dont use too much sealant where it oozes out and makes a mess, Plus tape both side of the sealing area so if it does ooze its an easy cleanup.
thanks for the reply,... it looks like the rubber is part of the beatal tape used to install the glass...you can't really get behind it from the out side as it is a flap
Old 02-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
thanks for the reply,... it looks like the rubber is part of the beatal tape used to install the glass...you can't really get behind it from the out side as it is a flap

I had some beatal tapes but I replaced them with CDs years ago[emoji846]!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #18

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I had some beatal tapes but I replaced them with CDs years ago[emoji846]!
what are CD's...no place for one in my new coach...lol
Old 02-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #19

THOR #12329
Well I think I got it fixed....fingers crossed...my thought is the repair is gonna be worse than the problem....to get the windshield out,... probley break it'''

so I found where the air is coming in, the driver side windshield post...I started with a real small hole in the caulk …. I pushed it in as deep as I could and started pumping till I could see it uzing out, I filled the crack all the way down...pretty good size gap,... let it set up a few minutes and cut the end off so the bead was bigger,.. then ran more caulk on top of the crack … should be good to go, but , I want to let caulk set up so wind doesn't blow it out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04614.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	15873  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Job well done.

One mod/repair done....150 more mods/repairs to go.