Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Question 2019 Vegas 24.1 Shower Improvements (?)

We had our first real excursion with our new rig this week and it went fabulously well! She drove nicely, even on a few twisty 2-lane roads, easy to park and level, and provided a great home base for 3 days.

One of the big concerns that my wife had even before we purchased was the size and layout of the shower. After these three days, I can say that those concerns proved to be valid. From the size of the shower base itself, to the curtain, to the incredibly poorly designed shower head, it was borderline useless to us. Thankfully, the campground had wonderful, free, hot showers.

We know that won't always be the case so we want to make ours a little better. OK, a lot better. I have searched and searched but all I can find are people who have upgraded their older model Vegas/Axis (2015 and earlier) so they had closer to the "newer" models. (Good grief, the old showers were WORSE than this???)

I seriously would pay for a shower wall with a door, if I could find one. I'm doubting that anyone has made one, but if so...

That said, what are some things we could do to a 2019 Vegas to improve our experience? Any suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

tim

Old 06-22-2019, 12:15 AM   #2

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Easiest and best is to change out the shower heat to an Oxygenics. Makes a world Of difference in water pressure and water savings. The 24.1 shower is not really big enough for a glass door. My wife complained for the first year, but after a 4 month trip to Alaska, she figured out how to use it and she almost never uses the campground showers any more. When you are on the Alaskan highway for several weeks and you are the only one in the campground with a hot shower, you learn to appreciate what you have.
Believe it or not, our first 2014 Vegas shower was way better than out first two RVs and the 2016 Axis is a significant improvement over the 2014.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:18 AM   #3

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Easiest and best is to change out the shower heat to an Oxygenics. Makes a world Of difference in water pressure and water savings. The 24.1 shower is not really big enough for a glass door. My wife complained for the first year, but after a 4 month trip to Alaska, she figured out how to use it and she almost never uses the campground showers any more. When you are on the Alaskan highway for several weeks and you are the only one in the campground with a hot shower, you learn to appreciate what you have.
Sounds good. Thanks!

Is there a specific model of the Oxygenics that you can recommend? Is it made specifically for RV's or straight off the shelf from the store?

Amen to having a hot shower traveling with us!!!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:24 AM   #4

THOR #1765
This is the one we use in our Axis. I have also purchased two different models for my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B25F646-CE59-49BC-BB5F-7F713236CA5B.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	18384  
Old 06-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #5

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
This is the one we use in our Axis. I have also purchased two different models for my house.
Got it! Thanks, again!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Sounds good. Thanks!

Is there a specific model of the Oxygenics that you can recommend? Is it made specifically for RV's or straight off the shelf from the store?

Amen to having a hot shower traveling with us!!!
For the RV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really liked the 24.1 when we were shopping but decided the shower was an incurable defect and moved on to our ACE; extremely glad we did. I don't know how the 2018 bath compares to the 2017s but I did write Thor with suggestions on how to make the 24.1 shower more usable.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #7

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
For the RV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We really liked the 24.1 when we were shopping but decided the shower was an incurable defect and moved on to our ACE; extremely glad we did. I don't know how the 2018 bath compares to the 2017s but I did write Thor with suggestions on how to make the 24.1 shower more usable.
We are on the smaller size (5-6 and 5-2) so I'm sure we'll be able to make this work. A better shower head (with a much better angle of spray and more efficient use of water) is a good first step.

Thanks for the reply. Feel free to share your list that you sent to Thor!
Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I've posted it on this forum before but here you go:

Quote:
Axis/Vegas 24.1 is a great layout but the small shower is a major detractor. We really like everything else about the RUV. You could put a 30"x36" shower in by removing the permanent sink and replacing it with a fold-up sink like in the Cirrus campers. You may need to move the toilet out a few inches to put it behind the toilet or shorten the 75" beds a few inches to move that wall back if you put it in the shower.
This small shower literally stopped our purchase of this RUV this weekend. As we are not in a hurry to get a class "A" right now we would love to see you implement this change in the 2018 or 2019 model years. Please let us know if you do.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:03 AM   #9

THOR #1765
We’re 5’9 and 6’ and it works for us. When we traded in our 2014 Vegas for the 2016 Axis, I went to the Tampa RV show convinced I wanted to upgrade to an Ace. After driving it and virtually all other 28-30’ RVs on the F53 chassis, we bought an Axis. For us, the larger chassis, longer length and a little additional space did not make up for the smaller chassis and size of the Axis. However, the shower in the Ace was the one thing my wife would have liked. Different strokes for different folks. After over 100,000 miles in RVs and 15 years owning large sail boats, I have come to believe that the smallest that meets your needs is the best. We all seem to want one bigger. But many of my friends and acquaintances ended up “too big” and not using theirs because it became too difficult. What’s “too big” for one, may be just right for another.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #13816
I opened the forum just now to search for ideas on how to make the shower more “user friendly”. It really is terribly small, but even so, we love our little Vegas! We also changed to an oxygenics shower head. It definitely was an improvement.
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
If they still come with the plastic liners, Bed, Bath and Beyond sells good cloth liners that fit. We also Velcroed the curtain to the wall on the toilet side. Add a low hook for the shower head. I use the low when washing body, high when washing hair.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #13816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYoshida View Post
If they still come with the plastic liners, Bed, Bath and Beyond sells good cloth liners that fit. We also Velcroed the curtain to the wall on the toilet side. Add a low hook for the shower head. I use the low when washing body, high when washing hair.
Yes, it has a liner that snaps on to the curtain about halfway up. These are great suggestions! Thanks!
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #5862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
We had our first real excursion with our new rig this week and it went fabulously well! She drove nicely, even on a few twisty 2-lane roads, easy to park and level, and provided a great home base for 3 days.

One of the big concerns that my wife had even before we purchased was the size and layout of the shower. After these three days, I can say that those concerns proved to be valid. From the size of the shower base itself, to the curtain, to the incredibly poorly designed shower head, it was borderline useless to us. Thankfully, the campground had wonderful, free, hot showers.

We know that won't always be the case so we want to make ours a little better. OK, a lot better. I have searched and searched but all I can find are people who have upgraded their older model Vegas/Axis (2015 and earlier) so they had closer to the "newer" models. (Good grief, the old showers were WORSE than this???)

I seriously would pay for a shower wall with a door, if I could find one. I'm doubting that anyone has made one, but if so...

That said, what are some things we could do to a 2019 Vegas to improve our experience? Any suggestions, tips, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

tim
In addition to Oxygenics showerhead, here's a really low tech fix. I keep one of the thinner more flexible pool noodles in the shower. Wedge it in a curve inside shower curtain from the wall by the medicine cabinet to the side wall by the over toilet cabinet. It keeps the curtain off of me. Now if I can just remember not to bend over and knock my noggin on the sink!Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_103734.jpeg
Views:	253
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	19475Click image for larger version

Name:	20190807_103725.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	19476
Old 08-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #14

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
6'4" 220lbs, for me (I'm normally 212, grandkids for three weeks ruined me)
Not a single problem with the shower that wasn't handled within my first 3 minute shower.
Its a shower, not a Ferrari gate shifter.

I don't get it.
Please detail the particular problem that can't be overcome or ignored for three minutes.

I'm not trying to be mean or short minded, I'm trying to understand how we have a shower just fine and others don't.

The added niceties are not neccesities for us.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #15

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
I replaced the Thor shower curtain, that was way to long, with an RV sized curtain. Also did the Oxygenics shower head replacement.

No issues touching the walls or shower curtain with my 6’ 1” 215 lbs frame while showering.

Considered this door, but the right sized curtain works just fine.
https://www.stoett.com/product-categ...s-shower-door/
Old 08-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #16

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
6'4" 220lbs, for me (I'm normally 212, grandkids for three weeks ruined me)
Not a single problem with the shower that wasn't handled within my first 3 minute shower.
Its a shower, not a Ferrari gate shifter.

I don't get it.
Please detail the particular problem that can't be overcome or ignored for three minutes.

I'm not trying to be mean or short minded, I'm trying to understand how we have a shower just fine and others don't.

The added niceties are not neccesities for us.
The biggest problem for my wife is that she is not big! She's 5'2" and when she takes her shower late at night and doesn't want to get her hair wet, it is more difficult. We have been using the new Oxygenics head in our 5th wheel, since we live there during the summer and with its adjustable angle, it should be better once we add one to our Vegas.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #17

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjacks06 View Post
In addition to Oxygenics showerhead, here's a really low tech fix. I keep one of the thinner more flexible pool noodles in the shower. Wedge it in a curve inside shower curtain from the wall by the medicine cabinet to the side wall by the over toilet cabinet. It keeps the curtain off of me. Now if I can just remember not to bend over and knock my noggin on the sink!
That's a neat idea! We might give that one a shot. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #18

THOR #13932
My 5'2" wife uses a Dollar Store shower cap.
  1. I'm not sure how your consideration of shower doors would keep her hair dry.

If this is a mobility problem and not a generic shower problem, let us know.
You've pretty well got to sing out the details to get the right suggestions.
This can't boil down to just a shower cap and a shower head you already own. What's the underlying issue?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #19

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
My 5'2" wife uses a Dollar Store shower cap.
  1. I'm not sure how your consideration of shower doors would keep her hair dry.
She also hates ANY water making it on to the floor. We had a couple of flooding experiences with our house and that is one of her triggers. (I don't blame her, because they were not fun at all.) We have a door in our 5th wheel and it keeps the water in as it is supposed to. She might have to go with the shower cap thing. Never been needed up to now, but things change to meet the situation, eh?
Old 08-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #20

THOR #13932
The change is exactly right.
Your attitude toward the Handling and parking are a great thing to have.
Don't let a shower eat into your attitude.
We got over the size fast, as thinking about it wasn't as productive as we'd like.

Try the easy fixes recommended, if they don't do anything... Don't do anything.
(this comes from a guy who put 4wd under his unit to improve the handli g and temper my temper about wet grassy fields.)
The handling I could fix... The shower I have to live with.
Handling=8 hours a day... Shower =3 minutes.

You sound like you're enjoying the coach.
Some here chronically complain.
I misread your attitude a bit...entirely my fault.