Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
2021 Thor ACE 33.1 - Fitment Issues (Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer)

This post is NOT meant to bash both Sumo Springs and Roadmaster. They are both great manufacturers. The reason why i purchased their products from Etrailer (also great company). This is a heads up to those wo are thinking of ordering the same products.

We have a 2021 Thor Ace 33.1. I have read in this forum (and others) that the 2021 Ford F53 chasis have some upgraded parts for the motorhome usage (regardless of the end user RV manufacturer. Mainly, a new V8 engine and a beefier (upgraded) front suspension.

Last December, I ordered from Etrailer the following parts:

1. SSF-170-40-2 - Sumo Springs Rebel Custom Helper Springs - 2 Piece - Front Axle (I know the Part Number Showed 2008-2017. I emailed Sumo Springs and Etrailer BEFORE I ordered the part. Both companies confirmed THIS part number FIT my 2021 F53 Thor ACE)

2. RM-RBK22-RSSA - Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer with Mounting Brackets for Class A Motor Homes

To save money on installation labor cost, I spent another $700 in various impact wrences and tools (which I am glad I did as I would have ended up paying the mechanics home service fee to go to my place just to find out the 2 parts don't fit and cannot be installed).

So, here is what I found out. I called Etrailer tech support. They will research and get back to me tomorrow.

1. SSF-170-40-2 - First thing I noticed was that the "bump stop" on my 2021 looked different from the one on Etrailers video installation tutorial (2020 F53 chasis). Mine is longer and cone shaped (see picture). The 2020 is more like a straight barrel.

Now... here is where I have First issue (I am glad I did not remove the factory bump stop right away). On the tutorial videos from Etrailer (2020 and 2018 F53), the "nut" that holds the bolt of the Bump Stop is "easily accesible" from the TOP of the frame. In my 2021, the "nut" cannot be accessed from the TOP or REAR of the frame as the "nut" is inside the FRAME (which is a hollow rectangular shape), with a peep hole from the outside of the FRAME.

Second issue, The "Bottom Mounting Plate" DO NOT fit flush (tad short). If you look the the FRONT Picture, the "Front notch" should sit in the Leaf Spring. If you look at the REAR, it does NOT even drop to sit flushed (it looked SHORTER).

I called Etrailer and they will call me back.

FRONT View

REAR View

Factory Bump Stop

2. RM-RBK22-RSSA - Sorry but no pictures. But here are the issues. I think the 2021 Tie Rod Diameter is "bigger" the the previous year models.

Tie Rod Bracket - The "contour" of the bracket DOES Not sit flushed with the Tie Rod.

U-Bolt - The inside diameter is TIGHT (smaller) than the Tie Rod. I tried to "tap" the U-Bolt bit to make it sit. It went in, BUT the shape of the U-Bolt DOES NOT sit flushed on to the Tie Rod (will not even SIT).

I am hoping that Etrailer can find out from both Sumo Springs and Roadmaster if they have a "NEWER" version of these 2 products (at least some parts) to "Properly Fit the 2021 F53 based motorhomes".

Old 01-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Yes, every time there is a significant change to a chassis suspension like occurred in 2021 for the F53 chassis, these things happen. That is why I am not doing anything to my new 2021 Axis other than an alignment for at least a year to let this stuff wash out.

I suspect you will have to send both parts back and wait for a new design for the 2021 chassis.

David
Old 01-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #3

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Put some miles on your tires after alignment and see if things get better
Old 01-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Yes, every time there is a significant change to a chassis suspension like occurred in 2021 for the F53 chassis, these things happen. That is why I am not doing anything to my new 2021 Axis other than an alignment for at least a year to let this stuff wash out.
I suspect you will have to send both parts back and wait for a new design for the 2021 chassis.David
I agree: this is an unfortunate side-effect of OEM suspension upgrades...
The aftermarket has to catch up!
Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What's that saying about never buying the first model year of a new vehicle? And double that for aftermarket parts that fit the previous model, but the aftermarket manufacturers paid no attention to the changes on the new model and just kept specing the same parts as for the old model. They may be good manufacturers, but that's just laziness on their part. We knew these changes were occurring 2 years ago.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:53 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Many aftermarket companies do free work for letting them prototype on your vehicle.
Sometimes you just call and ask, and they're glad to have use of your vehicle.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:49 AM   #7

THOR #21278
Our rig now have approx. 3,250 miles. I have driven it 3x (about 1,800 miles, short trips). I inflate my tires 82 PSI all around. Drives straight on straight and flat road. Only issues I have are "off centered" steering wheel and that "sway" each time big trucks passes by. The same for strong gust of winds. I have decided on FRONT Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering stabilizer first. I am hoping that will help with the "sway" issue. The off centered steering wheel, I know that can be corrected WHEN I do the wheel alignment.

Now.... when I called to make my wheel alignment appointment at a reputable wheel alignment shop near my place (they did a great job on our previous Class C), the Shop Manager told me to have the Sumo Springs and Steering Stabilizer installed FIRST, before he do my alignment.

That is the reason why I purchased the 2 parts mentioned in my post and the reason why I tried to install them first.

I guess i will wait for Etrailer tech to call me back to find out if BOTH Sumo Springs and Roadmaster have a NEW VERSION for the 2021 F53.

Question for the members here: How about the Removal of the OEM Bump Stop and Installation on the TOP Sumo Spring issue (accessibility). If I remove the bolt from the OEM Bump Stop? How do I re-install and re-tighten the Bolt and Nut to install the Top Sumo Spring (in the scenario that the fitment issue of the BOTTOM part is resolved)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Put some miles on your tires after alignment and see if things get better
Old 01-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #8

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
Our rig now have approx. 3,250 miles. I have driven it 3x (about 1,800 miles, short trips). I inflate my tires 82 PSI all around. Drives straight on straight and flat road. Only issues I have are "off centered" steering wheel and that "sway" each time big trucks passes by. The same for strong gust of winds. I have decided on FRONT Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering stabilizer first. I am hoping that will help with the "sway" issue. The off centered steering wheel, I know that can be corrected WHEN I do the wheel alignment.

Now.... when I called to make my wheel alignment appointment at a reputable wheel alignment shop near my place (they did a great job on our previous Class C), the Shop Manager told me to have the Sumo Springs and Steering Stabilizer installed FIRST, before he do my alignment.

That is the reason why I purchased the 2 parts mentioned in my post and the reason why I tried to install them first.

I guess i will wait for Etrailer tech to call me back to find out if BOTH Sumo Springs and Roadmaster have a NEW VERSION for the 2021 F53.

Question for the members here: How about the Removal of the OEM Bump Stop and Installation on the TOP Sumo Spring issue (accessibility). If I remove the bolt from the OEM Bump Stop? How do I re-install and re-tighten the Bolt and Nut to install the Top Sumo Spring (in the scenario that the fitment issue of the BOTTOM part is resolved)....
I have / had very similar intentions. We did Safe T Plus stabilizer right away. 10k miles later firmly into year 2 we just ordered the Sumo Springs (Front & Rear) Actually received the Rear springs today. I am using my year 2 savings for NOT by Extended Warranty to pay for these Springs.

I got estimates from several places to help confirm the part number. I had a Seller offer me a price off ebay that I was considering; but when I told them the specs on my coach they told me it would NOT fit They had to be wrong because everyone else confirmed the part number. Seller then said, they were not an authorized Sumo Springs dealer and they used another catalog not made by Mfg to confirm fit

I walked from that Seller. I likely will not have the new Sumos installed until mid February; but I am anxious to see the difference.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What's that saying about never buying the first model year of a new vehicle?
I call it the bleeding edge.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Assuming the bump stop has the integrated nut and you have a blind bolt to screw it to:

Many aftermarket kits for hitches, baseplates, running boards, etc include wire bolt installers that is basically a long stiff wire that you fish from an accessible frame hole to the bolt hole. On the end the wire is formed into a spiral that the bolt screws into. I believe Etrailer sells them separately:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Curt/C58400.html

Make sure you get the correct size one for your bolt.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 PM   #11

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
I wonder if your chassis is earlier than 2021. I have 2019 ACE 32.1, when I took it to Ford they said the chassis was 2018. Ford guy says he sees a lot of this, sometimes 2 years older. He said they order multiple chassis & depending on sales they might sit on the lot for over a year.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 PM   #12

THOR #21278
Thanks for the responses and suggestions folks. I ended up sending back those 2 parts to Etrailer. I will wait for those aftermarket manufacturers to come up with a NEWER version of their products (and installation instructions) that would fit the 2021 ACE models.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #13

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442
Quote:
Thanks for the responses and suggestions folks. I ended up sending back those 2 parts to Etrailer. I will wait for those aftermarket manufacturers to come up with a NEWER version of their products (and installation instructions) that would fit the 2021 ACE models.
I know it's been awhile. Just wondering if you ever got any updates information on the steering stabilizer.
I finally got my 2021 33.1. Took it on my trial run to work out the kinks.
Definitely gonna look into the steering stabilizer. Installed one on my previous class c and think it would definitely help the ACE.
The trucks weren't too bad but the wind gusts didn't help.
I have the same upgraded chassis that you have and etrailer lists the stabilizer as fitting the 2020 chassis but I know you went through the same and it didn't fit.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #14

THOR #21278
Dafoot2, I spoke with a rep from Roadmaster. I was told that they have NOT made a specific kit for the 2021 THOR ACE 33.1 yet (2020 Ford Chasis). However, another member here with a 2021 33.1 like ours was able to make it fit. I believe he told me he just had to "pound" the U bolt to make it fit on to the Tie Rod. The problem with our unit is that our Tire Rod have a bigger diameter.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Dafoot2, I spoke with a rep from Roadmaster. I was told that they have NOT made a specific kit for the 2021 THOR ACE 33.1 yet (2020 Ford Chasis). However, another member here with a 2021 33.1 like ours was able to make it fit. I believe he told me he just had to "pound" the U bolt to make it fit on to the Tie Rod. The problem with our unit is that our Tire Rod have a bigger diameter.
When I purchased my Safe T Plus stabilizer I could NOT get my U bolts off to mount the mounting bracket; so I take the RV to a Rush Truck center to have U bolts removed and new mounting bracket installed fr stabilizer. They could not get it off either

They stated that if they tried any further it would break!!! Then they say Ford does not stock the replacement part ;so they wanted to custom order to have u bolt made $500 I then called Safe T Plus who talked with Rush on my behalf. Safe T Plus told me to go to a local area Spring shop that could make the U bolts. I took it to that shop and they removed the u bolts and mounted the bracket with existing U bolts for $75 Point is maybe you can find a Spring Shop to make the U bolts you need?

FWIW, that Rush Truck Center (Irving Texas) charged me $175 and they did nothing of value. I will never go back there again
Old 05-03-2021, 08:25 PM   #16

THOR #21442
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I'll just have to wait it out. The upgraded chassis was an improvement, just like to have that extra stabilizer to help in the wind gusts.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #17

THOR #21442
Quote:
Just saw that Roadmaster has a kit now for the 2020 chassis. RBK-29 is the kit. The RSSA is the stabilizer itself and has stayed the same.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #18

THOR #21278
Thanks for the information Dafoot2. Their website says to make sure you order this part "RBK-29" and "RSSA". Now I just have to find a vendor that sells them as a kit. Etrailer don't have them yet. But this is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafoot2 View Post
Just saw that Roadmaster has a kit now for the 2020 chassis. RBK-29 is the kit. The RSSA is the stabilizer itself and has stayed the same.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #19

THOR #21442
Quote:
Thanks for the information Dafoot2. Their website says to make sure you order this part "RBK-29" and "RSSA". Now I just have to find a vendor that sells them as a kit. Etrailer don't have them yet. But this is good news.
I bought the RSSA from etrailer. Roadmaster was backorder till August on the RSSA but had the RBK29.
Called roadmaster direct and ordered the rbk29. Same price if it were a kit. Roadmaster only had 20 left in stock and they just came in today. Didn't have them yesterday and they expect to sell out quick.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #20

THOR #21442
Quote:
Had the stabilizer installed at my suspension guy. Took him 30 minutes including pulling it into the bay.
He said the kit was spot on, no issues.
Drove my highway driving back and a huge difference. The wind gusts had actually picked up in my area and it handled great. Trucks that past weren't an issue either.
Highly recommend the addition.