This post is NOT meant
to bash both Sumo Springs
They are both great manufacturers. The reason why i purchased their products from Etrailer
(also great company). This is a heads up to those wo are thinking of ordering the same products.
We have a 2021 Thor Ace 33.1
. I have read in this forum (and others) that the 2021 Ford F53 chasis have some upgraded parts for the motorhome usage (regardless of the end user RV manufacturer. Mainly, a new V8 engine and a beefier (upgraded) front suspension
Last December, I ordered from Etrailer
the following parts:
- Sumo Springs Rebel Custom Helper Springs - 2 Piece - Front Axle (I know the Part Number Showed 2008-2017. I emailed Sumo Springs and Etrailer BEFORE I ordered the part. Both companies confirmed THIS part number FIT my 2021 F53 Thor ACE
- Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer with Mounting Brackets for Class A Motor Homes
To save money on installation labor cost, I spent another $700 in various impact wrences and tools (which I am glad I did as I would have ended up paying the mechanics home service fee to go to my place just to find out the 2 parts don't fit and cannot be installed).
So, here is what I found out. I called Etrailer tech support. They will research and get back to me tomorrow.
- First thing I noticed was that the "bump stop" on my 2021 looked different from the one on Etrailers video installation tutorial (2020 F53 chasis). Mine is longer and cone shaped (see picture). The 2020 is more like a straight barrel.
Now... here is where I have First issue
(I am glad I did not remove the factory bump stop right away). On the tutorial videos from Etrailer (2020 and 2018 F53), the "nut" that holds the bolt of the Bump Stop is "easily accesible" from the TOP of the frame. In my 2021, the "nut" cannot be accessed from the TOP or REAR of the frame as the "nut" is inside the FRAME (which is a hollow rectangular shape), with a peep hole from the outside of the FRAME.
, The "Bottom Mounting Plate
" DO NOT fit flush (tad short). If you look the the FRONT Picture, the "Front notch" should sit in the Leaf Spring. If you look at the REAR, it does NOT even drop to sit flushed (it looked SHORTER).
I called Etrailer and they will call me back.
Factory Bump Stop
- Sorry but no pictures. But here are the issues. I think the 2021 Tie Rod Diameter is "bigger" the the previous year models.
Tie Rod Bracket
- The "contour" of the bracket DOES Not sit flushed with the Tie Rod.
- The inside diameter is TIGHT (smaller) than the Tie Rod. I tried to "tap" the U-Bolt bit to make it sit. It went in, BUT the shape of the U-Bolt DOES NOT sit flushed on to the Tie Rod (will not even SIT).
I am hoping that Etrailer can find out from both Sumo Springs and Roadmaster if they have a "NEWER" version of these 2 products (at least some parts) to "Properly Fit the 2021 F53 based motorhomes".