Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2020, 04:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
2021 THOR ACE 33.1 - Started few modifications

We have our 33.1 Thor ACE for a month now. We have started some minor modifications. I will update this post as we progress.

1. Exterior Solar Powered LED Lights - Our coach did not come with one that we can use to illuminate the entry door at night. I have added this solar powered LED light (set of 2). I like this model as there are 2 light options (bright white LED or warm light LED). I like the warm light. There are also 3 Modes to select. I like Mode 3, where the light stays on when it gets dark and turns off when it gets daytime. It also have a remote control where I can manually turn off the light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Kitchen side wall "fake tiles" from Lowes

3. Step for my dog bed - We travel with our 2 dogs (Korean Jindo and Terrier Mix). Our Jindo likes to sit in the middle of our seat. When we place her bed in the middle, the floor is short. We had to stuff the underneath of the bed with folded blankets. Problem solved with this step.

4. Stairwell Cover - I made this stairwell cover so that our dogs can walk around, and not fall into the stairwell. I added a No Step sign so our teenage son DO NOT step on the board. I am sure it can support the dogs. Not sure about the weight of a human. It is pretty sturdy though. Solid wood (1 inch thick). But I don't want to take the chance. I also added handles to make it easier to put on and remove.

5. Maxx Air Roof vent cover (installed 2 pieces). No pics yet.

6. Sealing Roof Joints with Eternabond Tape. (On-going project).

Projects to follow. Already have the parts. Just waiting for my appointment with the wheel alignment place.
1. Sumo Springs - Front
2. Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer
3. Wheel Alignment

4. Doghouse Sound Deadening and Floor Mat

Old 12-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

Model: 33.1
State: Alabama
THOR #21442

Projects to follow. Already have the parts. Just waiting for my appointment with the wheel alignment place.

1. Sumo Springs - Front

3. Wheel Alignment

Great work. My ordered 2021 ACE 33.1 is supposed to be done in March.

I'm following your progress and was curious about the eternabond. Is the roof needing the sealing? Or is it precautionary? Wondering what I'm going to encounter come delivery and prepare for the spring.

I know the new motor and suspension was upgraded from factory. Are you finding that suspension still isn't doing the job?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #3

THOR #21278
The Eternabond Tape is just a preventive measure. I did it on my 2015 Class C also. It's best to do it when the unit is new as there are not much dirt and grimes to remove for prep.

I am doing the suspension step by step to see what "will" help with the swaying when those big rigs pass by and a strong gust of wind. I also heard that the 2021 F53 chasis have beefier stabilizers from the factory. But I do feel the coach sway when a big rig pass by, or with sudden gust of wind. Scared me one time.

I have the Front Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer delivered last week. Just deciding on doing the install myself or have a mechanic do the install. (I called a mobile mechanic and was quoted 1hr for the stabilizer and 3hrs for the Springs, @ $125/hr, and $125 service call. That will be $625 in labor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafoot2 View Post
6. Sealing Roof Joints with Eternabond Tape.

Great work. My ordered 2021 ACE 33.1 is supposed to be done in March.

I'm following your progress and was curious about the eternabond. Is the roof needing the sealing? Or is it precautionary? Wondering what I'm going to encounter come delivery and prepare for the spring.

I know the new motor and suspension was upgraded from factory. Are you finding that suspension still isn't doing the job?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
We have our 33.1 Thor ACE for a month now. We have started some minor modifications. I will update this post as we progress.

1. Exterior Solar Powered LED Lights - Our coach did not come with one that we can use to illuminate the entry door at night. I have added this solar powered LED light (set of 2). I like this model as there are 2 light options (bright white LED or warm light LED). I like the warm light. There are also 3 Modes to select. I like Mode 3, where the light stays on when it gets dark and turns off when it gets daytime. It also have a remote control where I can manually turn off the light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Kitchen side wall "fake tiles" from Lowes

3. Step for my dog bed - We travel with our 2 dogs (Korean Jindo and Terrier Mix). Our Jindo likes to sit in the middle of our seat. When we place her bed in the middle, the floor is short. We had to stuff the underneath of the bed with folded blankets. Problem solved with this step.

4. Stairwell Cover - I made this stairwell cover so that our dogs can walk around, and not fall into the stairwell. I added a No Step sign so our teenage son DO NOT step on the board. I am sure it can support the dogs. Not sure about the weight of a human. It is pretty sturdy though. Solid wood (1 inch thick). But I don't want to take the chance. I also added handles to make it easier to put on and remove.

5. Maxx Air Roof vent cover (installed 2 pieces). No pics yet.

1. Sumo Springs - Front
3. Wheel Alignment

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1609186442
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	27819  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #5

THOR #21442
Quote:
The Eternabond Tape is just a preventive measure. I did it on my 2015 Class C also. It's best to do it when the unit is new as there are not much dirt and grimes to remove for prep.

I am doing the suspension step by step to see what "will" help with the swaying when those big rigs pass by and a strong gust of wind. I also heard that the 2021 F53 chasis have beefier stabilizers from the factory. But I do feel the coach sway when a big rig pass by, or with sudden gust of wind. Scared me one time.

I have the Front Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer delivered last week. Just deciding on doing the install myself or have a mechanic do the install. (I called a mobile mechanic and was quoted 1hr for the stabilizer and 3hrs for the Springs, @ $125/hr, and $125 service call. That will be $625 in labor).
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out the roof when mine gets delivered. I still have a roll of eternabond left over from before.

I'll also keep an eye out on the suspension. I had the steering stabilizer installed when i had my class c. Was hoping the new upgraded suspension on the chassis would have taken care of alot of the road worries.

Curious once you get your parts installed how the handling will be helped.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #6

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
DITTO
Old 03-11-2021, 02:45 AM   #7

THOR #21278
Just want to add some update to my original post.

The Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer did not work for my 2021 ACE due to fitment issues. The parts I ordered DID NOT fit the 2021 F53 model. Will wait for both manufacturers to produce New Parts that will fit the 2021 model.

I came across a thread in this forum about a possible fix on the High Pitch Sound that might be caused by wind, going through the factory grill. The fix that some owners did was to install some sort of "honeycomb mesh" on to the factory grill. I ordered the honeycomb mesh and installed it behind the factory grill. I am hoping for 2 results. 1) To get rid of the high pitch sound and 2) To protect my radiator from rocks and other road debris. The mesh grill will not interfere with airflow as there are numerous holes on them.
For the install = I had to remove the OEM grill. It is held in place by 5 bolts. I then traced the opening using a cardboard and cut. I then traced the cardboard onto the mesh grill and cut. I drilled small holes at the BOTTOM of the brills so that the zip ties will not be noticeable. I used 4 Metal Tie Wires on each corner to make sure something will hold the mesh grill in place. The rest, I used black zip ties.

I also installed a full set of Sunguard window cover on all of my windows. The sun in Las Vegas is brutal during summer time. The sun gets very hot in the afternoon and is on the RIGHT side of my RV. In my previous Class C, the window rails (made of plastic) on the right side warped due the the heat. It made one of the right sliding window inoperable. I tried to make my own outside window cover using black vinyl material and suction cups. I did not like the result. Wasted $60 on materials. For the Sunguard, I FIRST ordered the Front Wildshield, Left and Right FRONT Window covers only. It came with FREE wiper blade cover. I also ordered the Mirror Covers. I ordered mine with the "snap" attachment point (had to drill one hole). They also come with Velcro or Twist Lock (have to drill 2 holes for each twist lock). Installation was easy to follow. I had to drill a pilot hole, apply silicone sealant to the hole, also applied the same sealnt to the thread of the screw, before installing the other half of the snap (held by a screw). Fitment was GREAT! I like the 94% material, where you can see the outside, but they cannot see you inside (DAYTIME). I am sure they can see you at night with the lights on. You will have to close the curtain at night. The window covers do block the heat from the outside. I am so satisfied that I called them back and ordered 7 more custom size covers for the remaining windows. They manufactured and shipped my order in 2 Days. Ordered it from this company...

https://rvtoystore.com/

1. I still need to do the wheel alignment.
2. Next project is the Dog House Sound Deadening and Floor Mat (Have the parts. Just need to work on the project).
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Looks great. Have you noticed a big difference in temp with the sunguards?
Old 03-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #9

THOR #21278
Absolutely. I dont have the numbers but I can tell a huge difference inside temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Looks great. Have you noticed a big difference in temp with the sunguards?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:52 PM   #10

THOR #21278
Wheel Alignment was done last month. The truck wheel alignment place I took the RV to did "very minor" adjustment. I paid $299. The tech said he don't recommend adding any "shim" right now (like what was done on my previous Class C). He advised me to drive some more (around 5-10K miles). No need to bring it back, unless I start to feel some pulling in the future.

I did the Floor Modification using outdoor mat from Lowes (as shown on another member's sound deadening thread). We took the RV on a short 600 mile camping trip last weekend. The driver and front passenger area was a LOT quieter and the floor was cooler from before I did the modification.

For the Doghouse, I tried to remove it by unscrewing the 4 bolts that was holding it. I was able to back them out. However, the house seems like it was seated from the factory with some type of adhesive. I will have to pry it off. I have decided not to apply force to remove the dog house. When I went under the RV to remove the seat bolts, I noticed that the dog house is lined with some sort of Dynamat material already. I have the materials needed to add insulation. I will probably add that modification sometime later.

Based on another's member's experience and recommendation, I added a stack of washer on the FRONT posts of the seats. They helped a lot with the sliding problem we had from the front seats. Much more comfortable now. Here are some pics.

ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #11

THOR #21278
Here is a picture of the Stairwell Cover and Dog Bed Support I made for the babies.

I ordered a heavy duty Adjustable Drop Hitch from Amazon (rated 16K lbs). I was able to add a tow hitch, Bike Rack and a flog pole mount.

Some stickers of the National Parks we have visited.

Some souvenir magnets from the places we visited.

We were finally able to tow our 2020 Mini Cooper on our EZE Acme tow dolly. Did a 600 mile short trip last weekend to Bryce Canyon. Test tow for out upcoming 21 day road trip at the end of this month.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #12

THOR #21442
Quote:
Here is a picture of the Stairwell Cover and Dog Bed Support I made for the babies.

I ordered a heavy duty Adjustable Drop Hitch from Amazon (rated 16K lbs). I was able to add a tow hitch, Bike Rack and a flog pole mount.

Some stickers of the National Parks we have visited.

Some souvenir magnets from the places we visited.

We were finally able to tow our 2020 Mini Cooper on our EZE Acme tow dolly. Did a 600 mile short trip last weekend to Bryce Canyon. Test tow for out upcoming 21 day road trip at the end of this month.
Any more pictures of the dog bed support? My dogs lay in the same spot on a dog bed. The lean is the problem, which i see you fixed? Any instructions on how you built it?
Old 06-04-2021, 12:56 AM   #13

THOR #21278
Dafoot2, the dog bed support is simply a rectangular wooden box (1/2 inch thick) that were left over from the stairwell cover I made. I simply took basic measurements of the area I want to place it to. I just mad sure the the height of the same height as the front floor area surface of the RV so that the dog bed will lay flat (and not slide around). Here are some additional pictures. Hope this help.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #14

THOR #21442
Quote:
Dafoot2, the dog bed support is simply a rectangular wooden box (1/2 inch thick) that were left over from the stairwell cover I made. I simply took basic measurements of the area I want to place it to. I just mad sure the the height of the same height as the front floor area surface of the RV so that the dog bed will lay flat (and not slide around). Here are some additional pictures. Hope this help.

Great, thanks, that will help.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #15

State: Colorado
THOR #23818
Wow that's amazing! Great job!

Did you ever have any issues with the dash AC? Or the generator shutting off while driving so that the AC shut off also?
We have a new 2021 Thor Ace 32.4 I believe, and the dash AC blows outside/hot air (even when on blue and AC button on) and AC throughout shuts off when the generator does. Works great while parked ...
Old 06-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #16

THOR #21278
No issues with our dash AC so far. Like what someone had suggested in your other thread, open the hood and check the ducts. Mine are just hanging from end to end. Factory did not even zip tied to at least give it some support. Check to make sure the ducts are not kinked.

We have not used our house AC yet, with our generator (while driving). We purchased our RV November last year. We tested the AC during PDI and both FRONT and REAR units are blowing cold air. We are going on a 21 day trip at the end of June, going to Mid-July. That will be the TRUE test of my AC units. I hope we don't find out the hard way.

I know they mentioned that we "can" use the house AC and run the generator while driving. I am just a bit worried that something might come loose (because of the constant vibration and movement).

I also learned from my previous Class C RV that as we go up in elevation, there is an adjustment knob in the generator to adjust the setting for higher elevation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltrisco View Post
Did you ever have any issues with the dash AC? Or the generator shutting off while driving so that the AC shut off also?
We have a new 2021 Thor Ace 32.4 I believe, and the dash AC blows outside/hot air (even when on blue and AC button on) and AC throughout shuts off when the generator does. Works great while parked ...