Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2023, 05:14 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 25V
State: California
THOR #27248
25V Bathroom

Hello,
We have a 2020 Chateau 25V. Love the size and floor plan (twin beds with bench dinette slide) but have a real hard time with the bathroom layout. Toilet is on a raised platform, (hard to get on and off), and flush pedal is on the left side, so close to the wall that I can't flush while seated and have to take my shoe off to flush. Has anyone modified this setup? (I think it is the same as the ACE and Axis). Is it possible to remove the platform, and/or replace the toilet with one that has a hand flush or front flush pedal?

Would love to hear how others are dealing with this design issue. Thanks in advance.

Kate

Old 05-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8mar View Post
Hello,
We have a 2020 Chateau 25V. Love the size and floor plan (twin beds with bench dinette slide) but have a real hard time with the bathroom layout. Toilet is on a raised platform, (hard to get on and off), and flush pedal is on the left side, so close to the wall that I can't flush while seated and have to take my shoe off to flush. Has anyone modified this setup? (I think it is the same as the ACE and Axis). Is it possible to remove the platform, and/or replace the toilet with one that has a hand flush or front flush pedal?

Would love to hear how others are dealing with this design issue. Thanks in advance.

Kate
I don't have a 2020 25V, I have never heard of the design issue.

You may get better help with pictures or more specifics.

Which left is the flush pedal on? Left facing the toilet or left sitting on the toilet? My foot pedal is on the left when sitting on the toilet.

Instead of saying toilet os on raised platform , can you measure the distance from the floor ( where your feet go) and top of stool seat?

You can certainly replace the toilet, I doubt the platform can be replaced. I am sure it is there for a reason. Pictures speak 1,000 words unless you only want to hear from someone who owns a 2020 25V?

I don't follow why you have to take your shoe off to flush?

I will have to ask my wife, but I doubt very serious if she flushes while seated, or wants to flush while seated? I know I don't. I stand and turn around to flush even when home with a hand flush.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #3

THOR #27248
Thanks dkoldman. RV is in storage till I head out again in 3 weeks so I wasn't able to include pictures. Flush pedal is on the left of the commode when seated. Because I wear hiking shoes there isn't enough room between the wall and the toilet to be able to push the pedal down with shoes on.

Most likely I'll have to replace the toilet. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:09 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Hello,

Kate
Usually, the toilet platform is part of the black tank. This allows a tall square drop black tank with a short straight drain which prevents POP and uses less water. There are several RV toilet models with center or left flush pedals.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 11:20 PM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks dkoldman. RV is in storage till I head out again in 3 weeks so I wasn't able to include pictures. Flush pedal is on the left of the commode when seated. Because I wear hiking shoes there isn't enough room between the wall and the toilet to be able to push the pedal down with shoes on.

Flush pedal on the side you reference is normal. Without measurements, I cannot be definitive, but sounds like you have two legitimate requirements.

1. Footpedal that will not be too close to the wall on the left side when sitting on toilet
2. Toilet height that is lower than your current toilet because current assumed standard toilet is sitting on a raised pedestal floor.

The below sounds like what you need. A low profile toilet with pedal on the front and the left side. A toilet with the pedal on the right side would drive me nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Magic%C2..._t3_B0B8LN4PR5

Note: There are lots of options similar to the one above, I just wanted to show one that I think would work. Make sure you get measurements before you order anything. Don't repeat what TMC did, because it sounds like they did not take measurements

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-06-2023, 11:40 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

To replace the toilet you’ll be limited to short, low profile toilet. Ours is also on a raised platform off the floor. How big are you?
Old 05-07-2023, 12:54 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Hello,

Kate

Kate, the issue of toilet platform size and configuration can be a tough one to get right. We have used or rented many different RVs over the years and find some are much better than others. When platform is large enough to allow space for sitting comfortably with shoes on floor/platform, it can become too large for men to stand in front of toilet. There are ways to deal with this, but other than having a large residential-size toilet in the RV, it will require some compromise. On a rental years ago my wife placed a short step stool in front of toilet which worked for a couple of weeks but wasn’t ideal.

Anyways, Thor drawings show floor plan with toilet rotated slightly away from wall which would create more space for flush pedal, but I think their drawing hasn’t been revised/updated since they added cabinets behind toilet (at least the original Axis 24.1 was done that way if I recall correctly, and 25V was mostly based on that floor plan). Toilet platform also extends under shower, which prevents men from standing on floor next to toilet.

Pictures below are generic from internet, and one shows what you describe. I would not count on all 25V being built exactly the same, or using the same toilet model. There can be variations. Replacing toilet may help, but consider other functions could be made worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	41879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	41880  

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	41881  
Old 05-07-2023, 12:58 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Note 25V bathroom is not exactly as shown on floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0595.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	41882  
Old 05-07-2023, 01:24 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Thanks Chance, those pictures make it very clear

She may already have a low profile toilet. I still wonder what her actual seat height is from floor because it may actually be standard?

Twisting the toilet if possible sounds like good plan, but I could flush that toilet with my boots on. My foot would just be at 45 degree angle but I could flush.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:02 AM   #10

THOR #27248
25V Toilet

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. RV is in the shop so I haven't had a chance to get measurements for the actual height. The Aqua-Fresh Low Profile might be a solution - at least for the flush pedal challenge. We have been using a stool in front that is the same height as the platform...

I'll try and get better measurements once its out of the shop. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-31-2023, 01:22 PM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Note to self when RV shopping, really look at all the feature of it n to just the pretty colors and size of the living area with the slides out. Practice using all the features even if it's a "dry run". Sit on the toilet and pretend to be using it. Get on the bed/sofa/bunk/(fill in the blank) and simulate using everything. Spend more than 5 minutes "shopping" before buying.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Note to self when RV shopping, really look at all the feature of it n to just the pretty colors and size of the living area with the slides out. Practice using all the features even if it's a "dry run". Sit on the toilet and pretend to be using it. Get on the bed/sofa/bunk/(fill in the blank) and simulate using everything. Spend more than 5 minutes "shopping" before buying.
Learned that lesson with my first Travel Trailer where I had to crack the bathroom door to use the toilet.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:18 PM   #13

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Learned that lesson with my first Travel Trailer where I had to crack the bathroom door to use the toilet.
Most of us have had that experience. RV manufacturers and dealers count on the "less informed" in order to stay in business.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:46 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 25v
THOR #25787
We have a 2022 25V with the same bathroom setup. Without hiking boots, we have no problem flushing. On the occasion boots impede the flush process we have two alternatives. The first involves using a rubber-tipped walking cane to actuate the lever. The second (and most often employed) is to close the toilet lid and push the lever by hand. I have removed the toilet on several occasions and I would be reluctant to attempt changing the angle. There may be a toilet available with the flush lever on the opposite side. That might be the optimum solution.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:56 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Replace it with a Tecma macerator toilet. Our new coach has this. At first, I didn't like it...after 8 straight weeks on the road I would never have another RV without it. Solid flush, no chunks in the black tank and has never had an odor. Amazingly clean and clear when dumping black tank. And, you can just push a button while still sitting there...even with Moon Boots on.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:08 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Replace it with a Tecma macerator toilet. Our new coach has this. At first, I didn't like it...after 8 straight weeks on the road I would never have another RV without it. Solid flush, no chunks in the black tank and has never had an odor. Amazingly clean and clear when dumping black tank. And, you can just push a button while still sitting there...even with Moon Boots on.
And you can get the carbon fiber "Ultra Lightweight" model for only $12,500 plus shipping.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote