Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
Inverters

Slowly getting into solar. So far I've installed an 40 amp EPEVER MPPT controller and one Renogy 160 Watt Flexible Panel will add more panels as I need them. Looking to add and inverter and having a hard time picking a good brand. I do want true or pure sine wave. Not looking to run the AC (yet) but might want to run the microwave.

Thoughts?

Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Xantrex 3012 has a 150amp charger and are stackable to supply 60amp ac and 300 amp charging. It has an excellent controller and will integrate to an ags and a wireless control.

Or

Buy a small inexpensive unit as a test to see if you'll ever use an inverter to any amount of value to you.

Do you have a specific reason for pure sine wave?

My 24.1 lives near an ac outlet which adds to why I can't find a reason (except boondocking with a tow'd and spending long times away from the rv) for solar on a vehicle with an alternator and a generator let alone one with an inverter and a battery bank.
But
If you do long term outside and remote storage, a solar panel is your best bet to keep a battery serviceable.

Our inverter was installed solely out of our politeness to others regarding the noise of the v10 or generator running in dry camps.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
I'm looking at a Pure Sine Wave due to some of my electronics don't work well with a square wave or abrupt/stepped changes in the voltage.

Primary use is to keep the House batteries charged. My RV goes several weeks per month in storage, not a full time RV'er yet.
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8nmike View Post
I'm looking at a Pure Sine Wave due to some of my electronics don't work well with a square wave or abrupt/stepped changes in the voltage.

Primary use is to keep the House batteries charged. My RV goes several weeks per month in storage, not a full time RV'er yet.
It's not the abrupt change that the electronics don't like - that's easily filtered out with LC filters. It's the unknown harmonics they sometimes object to and it requires a tuned filter for each harmonic.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #5

Model: Freedom elite 30fe
State: South Carolina
THOR #14612
I just installed Aims 2000 watt pure sine wave with remote switch. I will be adding solar panels soon.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
I installed two Renogy 150 watt solar panels 3 years ago on our 2016 Chateau 31L. Renogy charge controller.
Cobra 1500 watt modified sine wave inverter.
Two Interstate Group 27 (SRM27) flooded batteries.
MH came with two Group 24 batteries.

I don't have an area large enough or strong enough to go with a bigger battery bank or AGM batteries.

This setup will allow viewing of the TV and using a disc player most of the day. Additionally, it will support a Dell laptop, wifi hotspot, charging of cell phone and tablets and a handheld ham radio.

There is not enough room on the roof for solar panels or an area in the rig for a battery bank large enough to support using the air conditioner.

When we camp in the forest or some areas along the coast, especially this time of year, we do not have enough sunlight to provide 8-10 hours of adequate charging time to keep the batteries topped off. So we will run our small 2kW Yamaha generator a couple of hours before going to bed. This allows us to run the heater in the morning. If the outside temp gets below 40 during the night the furnace may come on when it hits 55 inside. If needed we will run the onboard 4kW generator to ude the microwave or run the furnace for an extended period of time.

During the summer if we need to use the AC we will run the 4kW generator. Otherwise there is enough sun that we do not have to run either one of the generators.

This setup meets our specific needs and lifestyle right now. Someday I will get around to connecting the solar to the chasis battery.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote