Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
Talking 2nd Mod to our Axis - Stairwell cover

We needed to cover the stairwell to prevent our 2 dachshunds from tumbling down the steps and also serve as a place for their bed. We used leftover materials from another project and only had to purchase a few stick on tiles to finish it out. We ran a couple of boards underneath for support; it won't hold a person's weight, but it's lightweight for maneuverability and stows out of the way between the end of the sofa & the bathroom wall. This is a prototype and we'll improve on it after we take it for a test run in a couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	prototype 1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	4850

The tile matches the floor a little better than this pic shows... it'll be covered by the bed when down anyway.

Name:	prototype 2.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	4851

Tucker & Brooklyn in their usual perch at home, on squirrel & bird patrol. The next challenge is protecting the screen door from the little maniac on the right!

Name:	Tucker - Brooklyn - bird patrol.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	4852

Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #2

State: Utah
THOR #7349
[QUOTE=TexAxis;66891]We needed to cover the stairwell to prevent our 2 dachshunds from tumbling down the steps and also serve as a place for their bed.

Great idea. Do you have the measurements handy? We have an old border collie that I'm concerned about this. Also looking forward to the screen door hack that you come up with as well. I have a lot of ideas but I'm not handy.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
We needed to cover the stairwell to prevent our 2 dachshunds from tumbling down the steps and also serve as a place for their bed. We used leftover materials from another project and only had to purchase a few stick on tiles to finish it out. We ran a couple of boards underneath for support; it won't hold a person's weight, but it's lightweight for maneuverability and stows out of the way between the end of the sofa & the bathroom wall. This is a prototype and we'll improve on it after we take it for a test run in a couple of weeks.

Attachment 4850

The tile matches the floor a little better than this pic shows... it'll be covered by the bed when down anyway.
Attachment 4851

Tucker & Brooklyn in their usual perch at home, on squirrel & bird patrol. The next challenge is protecting the screen door from the little maniac on the right!
Attachment 4852
Be sure and post what you come up with for the screen door. We covered a 1/2 inch piece of plywood with matching tile to fit over the stairwell much like yours (still have to order some vinyl stair facing got the edges to match the other edges in the Vegas)

But haven't come up with a good way to "pup proof' the door.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Lowes and HD as well as CW all sell the screen door panel that screws on with 4 screws right on screen door, lower panel. It also good for small children that want to push through the screen. Hope this helps you.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #6491
Quote:

Attachment 4850

Attachment 4851

Attachment 4852

We put plexiglass on bottom of screen do and mad it removal.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:55 PM   #6

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyAxis View Post
Great idea. Do you have the measurements handy? We have an old border collie that I'm concerned about this. Also looking forward to the screen door hack that you come up with as well. I have a lot of ideas but I'm not handy.
It measures 34" x 20 3/4". We notched out 2 places to keep it from rubbing where the screen door frame meets the cover.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:13 AM   #7

THOR #7349
Hooray! Thanks.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
We have used this to protect the screen door from our cats:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-43993-S...door+protector
Old 05-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #9

THOR #7349
Quote:
It measures 34" x 20 3/4". We notched out 2 places to keep it from rubbing where the screen door frame meets the cover.

I made it, I made it!
Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #10

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post
I made it, I made it!
That's great! Hope it works out well for you! 👍🏻
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #11

State: Oregon
THOR #7738
I had the same problem for my Lon Haired Chihuahua. I just made this cover for my new Thor. Also raised the floor about an inch which is perfect so I can reach the controls in the over the door cabinet. Still need to add the pull rope but other than that it is done.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #7738

Name:	IMG_2881.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2880.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	83.7 KB