Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Florida
THOR #11104
50a v 30a v 110 outlet home power

1) Hopefully this is in the right place
2) Looking for the pro's and cons to using various power for home storage.

I've downloaded info on installing a 120 volt 30 amp RV electric service at the house to serve my RV while stored between trips. My Thor Miramar is 50amps.

I keep reading about people using dogbones and connectors to plug into a standard 110 outlet.

So I'm gonna do SOMETHING to have some shore power to the RV while parked but what are the advantages/disadvantages to going for a full 50a service vs the 30a... or should I just save my money and hook up to the 110 outlet in the garage?? (I already have the dogbones and connectors)

Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #2

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
it depends on how much power you want to use while it is stored, what is the concern?

It does not take much power to keep you batteries charged, it takes a lot if you want to use it without additional effort in hot weather.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
It depends a lot on what you will be using your RV for while it is in your backyard. If you want to run your air conditioning, then you are going to need your 30 amps. If you are going to run the microwave and air conditioning at the same time, you will need 50 amps.

But if you just want to keep your batteries topped off, or start the fridge to get it cold, the 15 amps will work. If you do this and leave the USE/STORE switch on USE, make sure to top off the batteries every 2 months.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I keep mine plugged into a 15 amp circuit when its in storage. That's plenty sufficient to keep the batteries up, and run things like lights etc, but not for the AC's.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

THOR #11104
So I would like to set the AC to come on when the internal temp gets above 79 or 80 degrees (or somewhere thereabouts). It gets hot and humid here in Cen FL so avoiding 90 - 100+ degree heat in the coach is the number one goal.

Keeping the batteries charged is obviously at the top of the list too, but mostly I want to control the heat buildup in the coach.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
So I would like to set the AC to come on when the internal temp gets above 79 or 80 degrees (or somewhere thereabouts). It gets hot and humid here in Cen FL so avoiding 90 - 100+ degree heat in the coach is the number one goal.

Keeping the batteries charged is obviously at the top of the list too, but mostly I want to control the heat buildup in the coach.
Then you will need an RV 50 Amp outlet installed.

There are no pros/cons. If this is your goal there is only one correct answer.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
a 20amp residential outlet is perfectly fine, can even run your ac unit if you need to...

most home outlets are only 15a, though, but all you really need is something to keep your charger for your batteries, and maybe to keep the fridge on, or have the option to run it a day or two before a trip. simple. don't overbuild for just storage, especially since you already have what you probably need already there.

remember that your coach does not 'demand' 50amp, or 100amps, or electricity. It's only what you want to turn 'on' that does. A fridge might be 5amps, the charger might be 5 or 10 depending on the status of your batteries, especially when it first starts charging, but then is really only a trickle charge.

we had our 50a rig parked next to our house for 8 months during 2016/17 and the 20amp outlet allowed us to do almost anything we wanted, especially when the folks came and we decided to stay out in the 'rv house' for several nights. Tv, satellite receiver, fans, fridge, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
a 20amp residential outlet is perfectly fine, can even run your ac unit if you need to...

most home outlets are only 15a, though, but all you really need is something to keep your charger for your batteries, and maybe to keep the fridge on, or have the option to run it a day or two before a trip. simple. don't overbuild for just storage, especially since you already have what you probably need already there.

remember that your coach does not 'demand' 50amp, or 100amps, or electricity. It's only what you want to turn 'on' that does. A fridge might be 5amps, the charger might be 5 or 10 depending on the status of your batteries, especially when it first starts charging, but then is really only a trickle charge.

we had our 50a rig parked next to our house for 8 months during 2016/17 and the 20amp outlet allowed us to do almost anything we wanted, especially when the folks came and we decided to stay out in the 'rv house' for several nights. Tv, satellite receiver, fans, fridge, etc.

The coach does demand 30 or 50 amps when the thermostat is set to automatically turn on the air conditioners. If he wants the coach to automatically maintain cool temperatures he needs to have the correct electrical supply.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

THOR #4735
he never SAID he 'needed' anything, other than just a hookup.... he's not looking to run air conditioning when he's 'not in the coach', so NO, the coach is not 'demanding' anything when he's not IN the coach... of course.

He just asked a basic everyday question that new folks have about electricity, there's no need to make it sound like he needs to install an 'RV PARK' electrical box just to have 'some' electricity to his coach, while it's only 'parked' next to the house.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
he never SAID he 'needed' anything, other than just a hookup.... he's not looking to run air conditioning when he's 'not in the coach', so NO, the coach is not 'demanding' anything when he's not IN the coach... of course.

He just asked a basic everyday question that new folks have about electricity, there's no need to make it sound like he needs to install an 'RV PARK' electrical box just to have 'some' electricity to his coach, while it's only 'parked' next to the house.
Actually, he did, if you read the entire thread,
Old 04-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #11

THOR #4735
(my 'mind' was referencing his original question)

sorry, my bad. get a 30amp hookup!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
If you have to add wiring and breakers, how much more cost and effort would it be to do the full 50 vs a 30? I would get by with the existing 15 or add a 50.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
If he's gonna run the air conditioners on automatic temperature control he will need a 50.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If yo're going to be actually "camping" at home: install whatever service your rig is already set up for.
If you're just plugging in to run some of the systems, or keep the batteries up to snuff: you can probably get by with a whole lot less.

When I get an external plug set up for mine: it'll most likely just be a 15 amp.
(The rig could be hooked up to a 30...)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #15

THOR #11104
No home camping - just want to keep the temps in the coach manageable when not in use/on the road, and keep the batteries charged.
TY
Old 04-19-2018, 01:44 AM   #16

Model: Windsport 34J
State: California
THOR #8735
If both A/C units come on to maintain your desired temp., then 50amps is required. This will avoid any concerns about under serving a 50amp coach. If only one A/C is allowed to turn on then 30 will work. This is in keeping your coach at the desired temp. I know from experience in Central California that 1 A/C at 105F temp in late July will not cut it for a 35’ coach in direct sun!! If paying for an electrician to pull wire etc. I would go for the 50amp option.
2004 Fleetwood Jamboree GT 31W --- Sold
Kake95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:13 AM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Personally I would just go with a 50a/30a/20a pedestal..
The difference in cost from a 30a to a RV 50a is minimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489 (2).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	9789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490 (1).jpg
Views:	192
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	9790  

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #18

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
I have 30 amp plug into 110 line at home. Just to charge batteries and get freezer cold. I also can run some house lights. I heard you shouldn't run a.c. on 110 at home,.

Sent from my P00I using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
It depends a lot on what you will be using your RV for while it is in your backyard. If you want to run your air conditioning, then you are going to need your 30 amps. If you are going to run the microwave and air conditioning at the same time, you will need 50 amps.

But if you just want to keep your batteries topped off, or start the fridge to get it cold, the 15 amps will work. If you do this and leave the USE/STORE switch on USE, make sure to top off the batteries every 2 months.
Good advice there my friend...

Sent from my Pixel using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Quote:
1) Hopefully this is in the right place
2) Looking for the pro's and cons to using various power for home storage.

I've downloaded info on installing a 120 volt 30 amp RV electric service at the house to serve my RV while stored between trips. My Thor Miramar is 50amps.

I keep reading about people using dogbones and connectors to plug into a standard 110 outlet.

So I'm gonna do SOMETHING to have some shore power to the RV while parked but what are the advantages/disadvantages to going for a full 50a service vs the 30a... or should I just save my money and hook up to the 110 outlet in the garage?? (I already have the dogbones and connectors)
The main difference for us is on 50 amp service we can run both A/C units at once and any other stuff too