Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2022, 02:37 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #15058
ACE 27.2 couch

Aloha all,

This is, I realize, a repeat post. I would like to remove the uncomfortable jackknife couch, and put in dual recliners. The outside TV has an inside panel that extends about 5” or so, and that makes replacement difficult. Has anyone done this conversion? My passenger seat may be able to swivel as well. I don’t care about using the outside TV. I assume that inside compartment needs to go.

Thx everybody,

Rich Guess

Old 02-11-2022, 03:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I've seen a few posts from different RVers with the same question on similar floor plans. I don't recall any of those threads going to completion. You have 68" width there so finding dual recliners should not be an issue and with them in the retracted position you should still have the same open space in front of them.

I think you're just gonna have to pull the couch and see what you need to do to remove the outside TV box. If you can, you'll gain a few extra inches of open space.

We replaced the crappy "couch" in our 27.1 which involves a lot of reconstruction with a loveseat dual recliners (< 60" width) but it was probably the best mod we have done to the MH. Good luck and let us know if you accomplish it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:42 AM   #3

THOR #14923
Thx. Most of what I see (RecPro etc.) is too deep with the outside TV, as the recliners need to be 4” (or some such distance) from the wall to recline, and that puts the recliners too far out with that TV box. I think you’re right, remove the couch, see what’s involved. I like the layout of the 27.2, but this is a shortcoming.

I was hoping to stand on someone’s shoulders on this one.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:47 AM   #4

THOR #14923
A nice use of the inside TV is to use an HDMI adapter for an IPad. Hook it into the back of the TV, and you can play downloaded movies/etc. That’s a big reason I want to replace the couch.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
We swapped out the jackknife loveseat for shop4seats dual recliners with a console. Definitely a game changer for my 6’ 2” frame. Take a saws all to the box. Pack it with insulation. Install painted plywood. You’ll be glad u did. We don’t camp to watch outside tv either.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:41 PM   #6

THOR #14923
Thx Jimbo. Which one did you choose? Powered? Width? Once that tv cabinet is out, and the seats are in with 4.5” wall space, was the room ok with the slide in?

Thx

Rich
Old 02-12-2022, 01:54 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We replaced the J sofa with recliners from that superstore with initials C W. We chose the non-powered model from Kathy Ireland. A power recliner gives you the ability to stop anywhere in the range, where the manual has just 3 positions. Powered units require a power connection and may not work without 110 volt. I like the simpler, lighter option.

Ours is pretty tight with the legs up, but we have the 27K and there's no slide in that area.Ted (post #2 here) gave me some good suggestions, along with some other posts on this forum.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #8

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by richguess View Post
Thx Jimbo. Which one did you choose? Powered? Width? Once that tv cabinet is out, and the seats are in with 4.5” wall space, was the room ok with the slide in?

Thx

Rich
We got these 68” manual. Didn’t want to run a new plug. Fit perfect. Easy to install. Can walk fine with slide in.
https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...h-console.html
Old 02-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #12722
ACE 27.2 Couch

I'm also looking at doing the same thing in the future to my ACE 27.2. My walkway (floorspace) between the jackknife sofa and dinette is 16". Even if I remove the outside TV and 6" box it will leave me roughly 10" of a walkway space with the slides in and traveling. I'm thinking about replacing my existing 45" dinette with a 36" which would give me more space when traveling and with the recliners in the out position. My current dinette is uncomfortable anyways. Would like to see your mods after you finish since you may have the same floor plan as I do.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #10

THOR #17765
Her it is. Dinette is to the left. We have 12” of walking space when slide is in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB7FC20D-8A23-4CA3-8EAB-D73CB51CC091.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	36118  
Old 02-13-2022, 04:39 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #12722
Your floor plan must be different than mine. Our dinette is directly across from the couch. I did look at your link on that couch and it does look comfy, and the color goes with the colors in your coach. Nice job.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #12

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieb View Post
Your floor plan must be different than mine. Our dinette is directly across from the couch. I did look at your link on that couch and it does look comfy, and the color goes with the colors in your coach. Nice job.
Yes, your floor plan is different. But the footprint of the recliners takes up same space as the original jackknife loveseat. My tv is over the kitchen sink across from the recliners. With slide out, and in recline position, a person can still walk by. Even with slide in they still recline. We bought this model & floorplan specifically because of floorplan and length ( any longer and it wouldnt get up into my driveway entrance without dragging). Good luck with yours. You’ll have to decide if comfort ( the recliners) outweighs squeezing by.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #13

Model: Ace
State: New Jersey
THOR #18631
replaced jacknife sofa with 2 freestanding recliners. slide against wall when traveling. plenty of room.
Old 02-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #14

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutom3 View Post
replaced jacknife sofa with 2 freestanding recliners. slide against wall when traveling. plenty of room.
I used big metal screws to attach mine to the slide rail. If I have to stop suddenly the recliners will stay in place.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. Evo 27.2
State: Connecticut
THOR #15114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Her it is. Dinette is to the left. We have 12” of walking space when slide is in.
Hi Jimbo, what color is that sofa? We're also looking at ditching the jknife in our 27.2 in favor of the recliners and these look great. The RecPro reviews stunk and I can't find the Kathy Ireland in manual right now. This one you have also seems to have a smaller footprint and we think will fit better with the dinette slide closed. We're not looking to carve out more space using the outside TV bump.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:04 AM   #16

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMorg View Post
Hi Jimbo, what color is that sofa? We're also looking at ditching the jknife in our 27.2 in favor of the recliners and these look great. The RecPro reviews stunk and I can't find the Kathy Ireland in manual right now. This one you have also seems to have a smaller footprint and we think will fit better with the dinette slide closed. We're not looking to carve out more space using the outside TV bump.
Desert taupe. They’re a little lighter colored than the dinette. But went well with colors. They fit in our 68” space perfectly.

https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...h-console.html
Old 03-15-2022, 12:05 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Looks like the Kathy Ireland train has left the station. That pretty much leaves you with Rec Pro. Or two narrow single recliners.

I see where B Js has a dual recliner, but its unclear how much it goes out or how much wall clearance is required. There are lots of choices if you have 65" for a recliner, but fewer in wall hugger style.