Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
I'll post pictures of the installed Safe-T-Plus tomorrow. And, BTW, I'm very pleased with their product and their customer service!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:41 AM   #22

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Cheap Handling Fix. Lots of references in the ACE discusions how for the ACE chassis, 31F likely not the same, moving front and rear swaybar ends to the "other" hole (closer to the axle) dramatically improves handling for the coach. It works.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #23

THOR #631
I love it! CHF! I suppose it could be used as a generic term for many of the things I've done over the years! Most worked and saved me $$. One of my most recent was to modify a HD RV flat screen mount so that it could be used to put a 32" TV into a 31" cabinet. Had to buy a piece of plate steel and cut it, drill it, and epoxy it to the RV hardware. The mod is invisible to the casual eye.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #24

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
+1 chf?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #25

THOR #631
Yes. One more CHF! Here are some pictures of he installed Safe-T-Plus. Considering that I did this in the rain in rather cold (for me) temperatures and in the late afternoons I'd say that all in all it came together well. Safe-T-Plus brackets and hardware and instructions are quite good. The road test will be today or tomorrow. I'll report on how it works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OverviewPhoto.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	160   Click image for larger version

Name:	CloseUpBracketEnd.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	161  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CloseUpTieRodClamp.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	162  
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #26

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Cheap Handling Fix. Lots of references in the ACE discusions how for the ACE chassis, 31F likely not the same, moving front and rear swaybar ends to the "other" hole (closer to the axle) dramatically improves handling for the coach. It works.
Sorry... the thread bled over to a second page and I missed this before i posted a re-ask of the question!

I don't have what i would call severe handling problems with my coach, but I'm looking for idea to help make it drive less truck like so DW might drive it a bit....
I'll have to look to see if I have these "other holes".

I'll also do a search for CHF. Hopefully those other threads are tagged. i'd like to read more about this, and get into the basics of how and why it works.....
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #27

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Arizona
THOR #260
If you go here on the irv2.com forum you will land on the first page of a HUGE forum on the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) for F53 chassis. Not trying to advocate another forum, but I have never seen the CHF written up here.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #28

THOR #908
Gadz.... 184 pages in a thread!!!

That's one of the reasons I have never gravitated to that forum, but instead another one that is made up primarily of MH drivers.

Interesting though. I read through a lot of the pages...... no where near them all though. Never saw where anyone tried to reach out to the folks that design and make these sway bars, to get the engineering behind why it works.... or what potential issue might come from it....
or what the intended purpose for this "other hole" is.

Do you remember seeing any of that answered?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #29

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Arizona
THOR #260
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Gadz.... 184 pages in a thread!!!

That's one of the reasons I have never gravitated to that forum, but instead another one that is made up primarily of MH drivers.

Interesting though. I read through a lot of the pages...... no where near them all though. Never saw where anyone tried to reach out to the folks that design and make these sway bars, to get the engineering behind why it works.... or what potential issue might come from it....
or what the intended purpose for this "other hole" is.

Do you remember seeing any of that answered?
Sorry, I read through it so long ago I don't remember.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:22 AM   #30

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My Hurricane 27k was all over the road.
1. alignment ( toe was out 5/8" )
2. CHF front and rear.. will need to install adjustable sway bar links in the front as when jacked up the currrent links hit the leaf spring
3. Had CW install a Tiger Track Bar.
Now is quite drivable and handles well.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #31

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
To clarify on the holes in the sway bar, are you moving to holes towards top of the coach or towards the ground?
Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
To clarify on the holes in the sway bar, are you moving to holes towards top of the coach or towards the ground?
The CHF is moving the sway bar links to the inside hole, it comes stock attached to the outside hole. If you have leveling jacks you may have the link hit the spring when u have the tire off the ground, in this case buy helwig adjuatable links and replace the factory links with them, extending them about 2 inches. You will have to re use the factory sleves and bolts. I just had mine swapped at a front end shop, they charge me 1.5 hr labor to do this.
I had CW do the rear when they installed the tracbar and they charged me an extra $80.

My coach handes great, almost to good as I find myself speeding at times when before I could not drive it over 50 mph
Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #33

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
The CHF is moving the sway bar links to the inside hole, it comes stock attached to the outside hole. If you have leveling jacks you may have the link hit the spring when u have the tire off the ground, in this case buy helwig adjuatable links and replace the factory links with them, extending them about 2 inches. You will have to re use the factory sleves and bolts. I just had mine swapped at a front end shop, they charge me 1.5 hr labor to do this.
I had CW do the rear when they installed the tracbar and they charged me an extra $80.

My coach handes great, almost to good as I find myself speeding at times when before I could not drive it over 50 mph
Lol! Thanks for clarifying! I will try that. I am going to install a steering stabilizer and sumo springs this week. I will tend to that right afterwards so I have a base line.

Tags
ace, handling, sway bar, track bar