Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
ACE 30.2 Handling Question--Rear Sway or Track Bar?

Hi all. I have been reading the forum for awhile, and have found it to be very helpful, and I need to pick some brains and get advice, so please help!!! We are awaiting delivery of our 2015 ACE 30.2, and have some concerns about handling in crosswinds and being pushed around by trucks on interstates. I know the F53 comes with front and rear sway bars and a front track bar, and I will be making the CHF, BUT I want to make sure my DH is still talking to me after driving our new unit the 200 miles from the dealer on an interstate in crosswinds. If you would suggest one after market upgrade to improve handling in wind and on the interstate (pushy big trucks!) would it be a Roadmaster Rear Sway Bar or a Supersteer rear track bar? I want to have it installed before we drive home to keep family harmony!!
I have asked several different folks and get conflicting answers, so I am reaching out to the folks who own an ACE 30.2 or 30.1 (same chassis) for their experience and recommendation.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Have the dealer take it to a truck shop to check the alignment. Check all tire air pressure and make sure they are at the proper inflation
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #3

THOR #1287
Thank you. That is always good advice. Are you an ACE owner with either mod, and if so which would you recommend for my issue, sway or track bar?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
That part I can not answer, as the Bride and I have a fifth wheel. There are several heere that will chime in on their answer to your question
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:44 AM   #5

Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
ArrrV,
I think that I would wait to see how it handles and then decide. Our Thor Four Winds 31F does quite well on Interstates at 65 or 70 being passed by semi's and big box trucks even or maybe especially while towing. Sure there is a bit of push as the semi or box truck gets even front to front but it is unavoidable IMO. Then there is a bit of suck after the pass, but again, unavoidable IMO. Nothing sits on the road like a brick, especially in any sort of crosswind. So I'd say to wait and see.

Oh, i forgot, maybe those huge Class A's do sit on the road like unmovable objects. I've never driven one though....

John & Gail
Athens, GA
Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
I added the safe T Plus to the front and it has helped a lot Now I can drive with one hand without drifting and it is very easy to put on and calibrate
Old 12-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
I own a 2015 30.2 ace and all I did was the chf. I can drive with one hand with no problems. I also never drove above 65 mph yet. hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:00 AM   #8

THOR #1287
Thanks All. Here is what we did

We picked up our ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse on Dec 23. It had been aligned but the dealer forgot to do the CHF. It handled abysmally, wondering all over the road with way to much play in the steering. We installed the Safe-T-Plus, a Henderson Rear Trak Bar, and had the CHF done. Driving home on the FL Turnpike ( speed limit 70) in heavy winds it handled well, held it's line, and 18 wheelers did not push us off the road. Yes, we are driving a house down the road, but now we can keep it on the road! ☺☺
We consider the upgrades a safety and handling success.

Thanks to all of you for your responses and support.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 AM   #9

THOR #631
ArrrV,
I'm glad to hear of your success! I've looked into the Safe T Plus and plan to order one soon and install it myself while I still have a home base and a shop with tools.
I have two questions:
1. What is CHF?
and
2. How much of your handling success would you say the Safe T Plus accounted for? Is there anyway to tell?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #10

THOR #631
I ordered today from PPL in Texas. They were $150 less than CW on the unit and the same price on the installation hardware. It will be here in a few days and I'm anxious to get it installed.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:05 AM   #11

THOR #1287
Lots of luck with it, and glad you could get a good price.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 32.1
THOR #611
Handling - Proper Inflation

I was having some problem with drift and such, but I had checked the sidewalls of the tires to determine correct pressure and loaded them up to 110 pounds whcih was the max.
Big mistake. A mechanic at the Dealer told me very patiently to never use the number on the tire. Look at the tag by the drivers seat installed by Manufacturer. I did and it stiuplated only 82 pounds. 82 pounds! Huge difference. Rides much better than even when I bought it. They had put 90 pounds in the tires and that was wrong too.

When all else fails, read ths instructions...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #13

THOR #1287
You are so right, tire pressure is huge--even on your cars you should look for recommended pressure on the drivers door, and never ever rely solely on the tire pressure listed on the tires sidewall. As a Class A owner with no manufacturer supplied spare, your tire pressure is even more crucial. I use Tire Minder to monitor my tire pressures and temps. At 110 lbs you were cruising for a sidewall blow out if you were fully loaded and driving for a distance here in the Florida heat. Glad you rectified the problem. We had the tires set to 82 from the get go.
There are some threads here on weighing the coach and calculating tire pressure per tire for your load distribution. Interesting reading.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 AM   #14

THOR #631
Members,
I added a Safe-T-Plus to our MH over the last 3 days (one "day" of approximately 3 hours planning, gathering, studying and starting; one day of hell, about 5 hours, of working to get the large front sway bar bolts loose and removed; and one day, today in fact, of installing in about 2 to 3 hours. (Yes, I'm old and slow and not as strong as I used to be.)
I'm going to post this before I get logged out and then follow up with the pictures and the story of the day in hell....
Old 01-14-2015, 01:58 AM   #15

THOR #1287
Wow

What a project. I had the SafeTPlus and a Henderson Trak Bar added on to my ACE by JoSams in Orlando. Whole thing took 2.5 hours.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #16

Model: 27 ft ACE
State: California
THOR #1318
How do you like the swat bar in the back and did you have to add anything else to the back. I have the 27 ft ACE and put on the SafeT plus up front and it helped quite a bit to keep the coach straight in winds. How does the rear bar help and is it worth the money
Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 AM   #17

THOR #1287
We put in a rear Trak Bar, did CHF on the factory equipped rear sway bar. Helps our 30.2 to stay on course and not wonder in the lane. That and SafeTPlus help in winds and to keep in the lane when passed at 70mph by semi's. Definately worth the big bucks to install. Now I can drive and not have a wrestling match with my RV!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:19 AM   #18

THOR #631
Like I said, I'm old and slow. Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadBoyBoltStoppedDeadHeadLookingDamaged.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	155   Click image for larger version

Name:	BadBoyBoldFinallyRemoved.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	156  

Name:	BBB'sHead10.9isDarnHardSteel.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	157   Click image for larger version

Name:	UpShotOfPlateInPlaceCorrectPositionOfRubber.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	158  

Name:	ShoelaceUsedToSecureSwayBar.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	159  
Old 01-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #19

THOR #631
Ford puts in these bolts with blue thread lock but I swear to small g god that I could not get them out, not with a half inch breaker bar that was 18 inches with a cheater pipe on it and not with my big compressor and air gun at 125 ft. pounds of pressure on its highest setting. That BBB just wasn't coming out.
So I went to Advance where my son's friend works and he sold me some freezing spray with lubricant in it to spray on the bolt and a new 6 point 18mm black steel socket intended for use with the air gun.
After three freezings, it finally moved.
So, my warning to DIYers like me is beware: those larger bolts may give you a real challenge!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 AM   #20

THOR #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We put in a rear Trak Bar, did CHF on the factory equipped rear sway bar. Helps our 30.2 to stay on course and not wonder in the lane. That and SafeTPlus help in winds and to keep in the lane when passed at 70mph by semi's. Definately worth the big bucks to install. Now I can drive and not have a wrestling match with my RV!!!
ArrrV,
What is CHF? I'm sorry. I just don't know!

Tags
ace, handling, sway bar, track bar