Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
How I insulated my Heater last winter.

So when I research about this last winter I was surprised that nobody tried to insulate the cold air return on the RV’s heater (or at lease I didn’t find any info on it - but perhaps I missed it). Most posts just said something like “There nothing we can do about it so I just live with it”

Well im here to tell you that you can quiet down the fan noise quite a bit. But the deep sounding burner drone noise is still present. In my coach I mostly hear the fan noise in the living areas and the deep burner drone noise in the bedroom. So it really helps when your watch TV up front.

I made an audio recording with my I phone from 3 different spots so I could refer back. Well when I was done I knew immediately it was much quieter in the living areas. Upon play back it was very obvious. How much quieter– hard to say…..Maybe 25 %??

To start this project I peeked inside this area behind the cold air return and found Zero insulation. Just another cost cutting item from Thor….
In a home the cold air returns are insulation where the SOFT material is exposed to the airflow that way it can absorb the sound. So I went to Lowes and purchased a roll of Frost King 12-in Fiberglass It comes in rolls and you cut to fit ($11.99).

On my RV when you looked up you see under the frig area and it was just flat wood (very echo-ee )….so I measured the length and cut two strips to cover the entire area perfectly, then I took some 3m adhesive spray and coated the back of this batting and some on the wood. Worked perfectly.

I looked around to see how things worked with the heater and the ductwork then I noticed one of my heat ducts was totally disconnected (for the bathroom). I also notice the way the propane line was laid it could (Over time) rub to the point of weakening or worse . I moved the hose some and used some insulation to prevent any future rubbing problems. I then laid some of this Frost king from the front of the compartment to the top of the heater (ramped it up to smooth out air flow) but made sure I did not block anything important. I was able to just tuck the front side in and use a small amount of 3m spray to hold down the back part on top of the heater box (that way I could remove it easy if it was a problem or for maintenance).

I also just tucked in the rest of this Frost king to the left and ride sides of this compartment and up the walls tucked in place (so easy to remove if needed).

I thought about installing a cheap air filter but I did not at this time. My thought was it would help control some sound trying to escape this area but I didn’t want to restrict or cause any fire hazard. I may look at this in the fall and test something out.

I put the cold air return cover back on and fired up the heater. No smoke or strange odors and no fire – success! .

It only took about 30 minutes to compete the job and only cost me about $12.

It mostly just helped with the fan noise. I would compare the new sound level to driving at 70 mph on a highway then slowing down to 40 or 50 MPH. You can still hear it - its just not nearly as loud.. Plus a its a more pleasing tone.

If you do this make sure you don’t block anything important and keep away from access holes to the burner and other important looking stuff – use your best judgment. I also looked at the 12 volt connectors to make sure they were tight and safe looking (Luckily they looked fine to me).

Install at your own risk. Fires are nothing to take lightly. Never drink and insulate.

I test unit for 30 minutes one day and two hours the following weekend last FEB but have NOT used it all night yet. So I will keep a watchful eye on it this winter when its time to use it.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

THOR #12231
Here is the same thing on Amazon but more money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5080.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	13082  
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #3

THOR #12231
No comments or question on this one? I know I was looking for a tread like this last winter.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
sounds like a great mod, Unfortunately I need a visual. Did you take any pics? Ill have to double check but I think all my ducts are under the fridge and assume the intake is from inside air?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

THOR #12231
Yes, I will try and take photos this weekend.

Yes the cover where the heater is at IS the cold air return.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
No comments or question on this one? I know I was looking for a tread like this last winter.
I just saw the thread. Yes, great idea! I thinking of putting a damper ed grill on my forward furnace vent at the door. It's useless at night. But then I've also laughed about taking down the unused TV in the bedroom and putting up an electric fireplace with the fakey foil flames.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

THOR #12231
Fake fire place....sound like a winner... LOL. Does it also put out heat as well?

Or you could get a DVD of a real fire (they have these) and play on your TV so it looks like a fire place. LOL.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
My gripe with that Frost King insulation is they label it as 1" thick but it's compressed to roll for packaging but never regains it's loft, it's 3/8 to 1/2 at best. For sound deadening it might be fine.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

THOR #12231
yes you are correct. Very thin. Frost king has many different type of insulation. Make sure you get the soft recycled fabric one to absorb sound. They have another one thats is like 1/4 inch foam with a sticky back to it but it wont absorb sound as well.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Put a Roku on that TV and download Aquatic TV channel. I have had a few years as it it is almost identical to my Saltwater tank. It is very real looking. I have it setup as screensaver on all my TV's.

Also, if I ever by oner of these RV thingees and move out of my tent, I plan to replace those weird name TVs with Samsungs. You can do amazing things with with a Samsung Galaxy product and their TVs. I stream everything. I can watch cable TV with no satellite in motion or whatever it is called as long as I have connection on my T-mobile network.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #11

THOR #12231
I fired up the heater on SAT to test it out and it was much quieter than I remember.

I know when I first purchased the RV last year (2017) it was very loud in the bedroom - esp that deep drone from the burner. (Make it hard to sleep).

But on Saturday it seemed very quiet everywhere in my RV (but I was NOT trying to sleep).

Perhaps all of this extra insulation for the heater cold air return area and also extra insulation under in installed under the bedroom drawers - which is next to the heater (and anywhere else that I could stick it) is absorbing the sounds?

Plus we have throw rugs on most of the floor this year ..... I think that helps to aborbs noise while driving but perahps any other noises as well?

I dont know for sure but Im very pleased with my results so far. The true test we be "trying" to sleep at night with heater running.

I will try and post some pics at a later date.