Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #9278
Dumb TV Question?

Hey all,

Please forgive this total newb question & further apologies if it's in the wrong section. In a couple of months (when my condo finally sells) I'll be purchasing my Majestic 23A & will be starting my adventures.
I'm going to be purchasing a used model, approx 4 years old so I thought I'd take advantage of the Black Friday Sales & buy myself a shiny new Smart TV since TVs were pretty dumb a few years ago.
I'm just wondering how big a TV can I comfortably get away with in the 23A? It seems like smaller TVs are more expensive than big ones now!
Do I have to stick with 24”? Can I get away with a 32” in there? Bigger? I'm not even certain WHERE the TV Mounts in this Unit! Is it up front by the Passenger Seat or back by the bed?

Any light you could shed would be so helpful. I hope I'm making sense!

Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
I would buy the coach first...then start throwing money at it. No amount of savings on the TV is worth it not fitting.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Can you go look at this RV now and measure the location?

Where is this TV located at? In the Overhead bunk area, Bedroom?

I guess if you have a receipt you can always take the TV back if it dont fit.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Be sure to consider weight. Many RVs have a pretty flimsy tv mount
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Most of us can relate to your enthusiasm! For the TV, the sales ahead of the Super Bowl will be just as good or better, so put the brakes on that project for now.

Care to share why you picked that particular model? Are you looking at a former rental unit? Have you rented a similar RV to see how it fits you? Are you planning to be a full-time RVer, and live in it? Just you, or a family plus pets?

I personally wouldn't buy an RV with a corner bed, they are a pain for two people and it's difficult to make the bed. Maybe you won't mind any of that.

This is a great place to bring your questions. So many helpful and experienced people here, willing to share.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:16 AM   #6

THOR #9278
I did a ton of research before I decided on the model. Originally I wanted a 19’ RV. My priority was being able to use it as a vehicle to vacation & a place to live on the road for a couple of years of adventure with my 7lb dog. But I'm disabled with chronic pain & bigger 'n a breadbox? So I quickly realized I needed to scale up.

I chose Thor because the prices are so much better despite being built on the same chassis. And I chose 23A because the layout suits my needs perfectly. It has the BIGGEST shower. The fridge isn't one that forces me to crawl on the floor! There is amazing storage in back for my little folding, travel scooter. I'm ok with making the corner bed. And for just me? It seems cosy. Trust, i've given it a LOT of thought before I made my decision!
As it happens, I am going to purchase a former rental unit. In my area in Canada, we rarely see 24' Motorhomes. I was in close contact with our local Thor dealer & ultimately it was HE who directed me to the Rental Company. Our Dealer will generally send his smaller units dircectly to auction instead of trying to sell on his lot. But I've now had a relationship with the sales guy at the Rental Place for 2 years. First while I was "thinking", then "looking" and now that I'm actually selling my condo & DOING IT! So I know he's going to find me the most pristine unit available just to finally get me off his back & make sure I never return!
Thanks everyone else for the advice to cool my jets. After 2 years, I'm just so close I really wanna "go, go, go", ya know?
Old 11-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
That helps. More information will always get you better answers here. There has been discussion on this forum about buying rentals, pro and con. Generally, the pros include an assumption that regular maintenance has been performed, and the cons are that folks used it like they rented it.

You would be smart to have a unrelated mechanic go over it before you sign. And print off the PDI worksheet (pre-delivery inspection) from Ed Felker's excellent crowd sourced manual for the Vegas/Axis. It's in a sticky under Tech Topics, and here's a link: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Much of the information in that manual will pertain to your unit, too. RVs typically have nearly worthless manuals, beyond the component manuals. Not at all like the comprehensive books that come with autos.

I've been where you are. My first RV was a 21' Class C on a Dodge chassis. I had my share of "learning experiences" with that one, but it was cheap and a good stepping stone for my young family.

Let the forum know when you get your rig, along with a photo. Good luck!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #8

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
40" tv

I have a 2018 Four Winds 22E, 24' Class C (E350) motorhome. Over the bunk is a 40" tV.
Most of the new Class C's have the 40" TV mounted over the front bunk.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:43 AM   #9

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Good luck on your new adventure! Get out and enjoy! I too have chronic pain, so it takes me a couple hrs to get moving in the morning.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:05 AM   #10

THOR #9278
Appreciate the link, mr sunshine! I'm not overly worried about the Former Rental aspect. I'm not naive, but a family member worked for a car rental place that sold, so they versed me on a lot of the potential pros/cons to think of when I was making the choice.
In a past life I used to work in Vehicle Insurance & although we didn't do a ton of RVs, I do have a little background in performing a quick visual inspection. Plus, I'm stealing a friend's hubby to come along when i choose mine for final approval. He spends a lot of time buying old RVs at Auction, fixing them for fun & reselling. He'll be my main mechanic, too...so good he knows what he's getting into. LOL

Tags
television, tv mount