Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Adding 110 Volt AC outlet

I'm posting this separately because of the difference in power supply.

My wife wants me to add a 110 volt convenience outlet to the galley counter wall right under the fold out extension for the countertop.

I've done similar kinds of additions in our house, but never in an RV. I know where to find the junction box under the bench seat on the slide, and I'm sensitive to issues of overloading a circuit. But, are there other issues or matters that I need to attend to?

I'll make sure to use the same gauge wire as is used on that circuit and take account of the slide action if I branch off that box.

Any thoughts or tips?

John
Athens, GA

Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I was a bit surprised in my coach that solid wire was used. I cannot think this is a good idea. Like a boat, stranded wire should always be used in a high-vibration area.

But since the coach already uses solid wiring, then I suppose the point is moot.

One thing you will find though is the use of "Speed Box" receptacles, which is a tool-less snap-together assembly. These boxes use insulation displacement connections and you will wish to replace the entire receptacle and a new box (the Speed Box electrical boxes are integrated into the receptacle), and do it right.

Otherwise, you will have a difficult time in adding a circuit to the existing end-of-the-line receptacle.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

THOR #631
Again, thank you, thank you, thank you. Your experience is much appreciated. Having never worked on boat electrics, I didn't know about the solid vs. braded issue and it would have never crossed my mind.
I also didn't know about speed boxes. Still much to learn about the RV world...
John
Athens, GA
Old 10-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
What I am saying at this point that while stranded wire is much preferred over solid, since they have already used the cheaper solid wiring, then you can use it as well.

If you want to re-use the speed box to extend the circuit, you have to use solid wiring as the boxes use the insulation-displacement technique to attach the wiring.

But if you want to use stranded wiring, you will have to go to a more conventional outlet, which will also mean you have to install an electrical box - which is larger in size - which means you will have to cut the panel out.

Here is a PDF on how to install speed boxes:

http://www.hubbell-wirecon.com/liter...ationGuide.pdf

Here is a video that might be helpful:

Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #5

THOR #631
Thank you. This is very helpful.
John
Athens, GA

Tags