Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Axis/Vegas engine on/acc wire

I would like to install two usb 5amp sockets near the drivers chair to run my TPMS and windshield camera. I want the usb sockets to turn on and off when I turn the engine On/off so that these devices will turn on when I crank up the engine and turn off (at least the camera) when the engine is shut down. In the Axis/Vegas I cannot think of a system that I can use to splice into that turns on/off with the key. Anyone have any ideas on where I can splice in to make this happen?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:41 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
In your fuse panel locate a fuse that is powered by the ignition switch and use a piggyback fuse holder to add your circuit with it's own fuse.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:48 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #9328
ACC Switch

Was looking to do the same thing, but was unable to find an ACC wire in the dash. Today I installed a triple LED switch that controls the TPMS, dash cam and Garmin 770. I spliced off of the cigarette plug. Although the switch is not on an ACC circuit the illuminated LED serve as a reminder that they need attention after the key has been turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6A7EE494-618A-4299-8C25-9EDDAD8B30B4.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	8135   Click image for larger version

Name:	8A4F89A5-FFF6-4167-BFF5-971E79D4A1E7.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	8136  

Old 12-08-2017, 01:58 AM   #4

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
In your fuse panel locate a fuse that is powered by the ignition switch and use a piggyback fuse holder to add your circuit with it's own fuse.
That’s the problem. In the Axis I do not know of any circuit that is powered by the ignition switch. In my Class C there were several and I could tie into one.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:07 AM   #5

THOR #1765
Originally posted by B7smith
“Was looking to do the same thing, but was unable to find an ACC wire in the dash. Today I installed a triple LED switch that controls the TPMS, dash cam and Garmin 770. I spliced off of the cigarette plug. Although the switch is not on an ACC circuit the illuminated LED serve as a reminder that they need attention after the key has been turned off.”

Thanks. I have installed a small inverter on top of the doghouse that has 4 USB ports that I currently use. I am hoping to put a switch like yours to the left of the wheel but I am hoping to hook it to an ACC wire. Where did you get your switch? It looks great there.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:24 AM   #6

THOR #9328
LED Switch

Amazon, made by Fastronix. Hopefully you will find an ACC wire. I tested multiple wires under the dash an everything I found was hot all of the time. Just a thought... you might want to check the hot wire that supplies the windshield wiper switch. I forgot to check that one.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:04 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7smith View Post
Amazon, made by Fastronix. Hopefully you will find an ACC wire. I tested multiple wires under the dash an everything I found was hot all of the time. Just a thought... you might want to check the hot wire that supplies the windshield wiper switch. I forgot to check that one.
Thanks. That’s a good idea, I will see if the windshield wipers work off the ACC. I don’t think I have ever tried them with the engine off. If they do, that should be an easy splice and in the right place for me.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Hooligan2's choice is solid, otherwise an inline fuse from the cig lighter is good. Funny thing, I looked thru the fuse chart in the Ford manual and found no fuse for the cig lighter, it's coming from Thor's fuse block that's in the compartment under the driver's seat.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Hooligan2's choice is solid, otherwise an inline fuse from the cig lighter is good. Funny thing, I looked thru the fuse chart in the Ford manual and found no fuse for the cig lighter, it's coming from Thor's fuse block that's in the compartment under the driver's seat.
My cig lighter does not run off the ACC switch. Since it is a Thor add on, it is on all the time.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #10

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Quote:
Ford calls the cigarette lighter a "power port".
Old 12-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #11

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Ford calls the cigarette lighter a "power port".
And the fuse diagram doesn't list that. I agree, Thor provides the power to the "power port" but I can't locate it's fuse. I could deliberately ground it out to blow the fuse but...that's kind of extreme. Call, don't email, Thor customer service and ask for wiring diagrams for the chassis, dash and batteries.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #12

THOR #9328
Fuse Block

In the Axis 25.2 E450 you will find the fuse for the cigarette lighter located in slot 70 in the engine compartment fuse block. The fuse is a 30 amp Mini J case style
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Yes. It is Fuse #70. Here are the schematics for the two power ports. I forgot that I had saved them from someone who had the problem two years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6A0E4334-422A-4307-8AC9-AD39B20A75DB.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	8145   Click image for larger version

Name:	C41D9232-D2BB-4D6D-930F-80A0B20F0A72.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	8146  

Name:	4A6DB1C3-00E3-48C2-9717-356832835128.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	8147  
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 AM   #14

THOR #6582
THANKS!! That's terrific.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
I had the same issue so we installed a 12v relay on a low amp circuit controlled by the ignition switch then used on of the power point circuits ran through the relay to turn off the larger amp circuit for various usb power outlets so they will be controlled by the key.

Works great for me!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #16

THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
... we installed a 12v relay on a low amp circuit controlled by the ignition switch then used on of the power point circuits ran through the relay to turn off the larger amp circuit for various usb power outlets so they will be controlled by the key...
Thanks!!
So you interrupted the "power port" circuit (30a fuse,right?) with the relay and tapped a low draw, ignition keyed circuit like the wipers to close it? Simple!
- Did you mount the relay or just tape it in place?
- Did you fuse the tap for the usb outlets?
- Did you leave the cig lighter power port live? That would be useful for 12v power when parked but using power from the coach batteries might be better.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Thanks!!
So you interrupted the "power port" circuit (30a fuse,right?) with the relay and tapped a low draw, ignition keyed circuit like the wipers to close it? Simple!
- Did you leave the cig lighter power port live? That would be useful for 12v power when parked but using power from the coach batteries might be better.
I screwed the relay mounting (plug in relay) to the plywood under the dash cover.

I did not fuse the USB outlets as the 12v was already fused for 30Amp (but probably wouldn't be a bad idea <WINTER PROJECT!>)

- Did you leave the cig lighter power port live? That would be useful for 12v power when parked but using power from the coach batteries might be better
There was actually an "extra" 30AMP power port connection that was "taped" and unused under the dash (courtesy of FORD). I sued this as my source and left the existing "power port" installed by THOR in the dash. I am tempted to remove the HDMI and USB port for the radio and install a ACC KEYED USB port there.

I actually installed a three port accessory case under the dash cover on top of the driver gauge cluster, screwed to the plywood, with two (2) dual USB ports and one (1) 12v power point. This is so I can power a dash camera, a GPS, and a tire monitor. I went ahead and powered my XM radio off the AXXERA radio so when you turn off the radio, the XM also powers down.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #18

THOR #6582
Yeah Mike, I like your ideas, thanks. I dislike the clutter of wires for all the "conveniences" of technology. I hope to find that taped power lead and then fuse the outlets. It'd be nice to do it all at once so I need to plan it out. Taking the Axxera radio to an Acc Keyed wired is on the list to kill it's phantom power draw, the XM will do most of the radio needs so no need to store presets. I do miss the old analog days of push buttons, and being able to "fine tune" a signal. Alas, progress.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #19

THOR #1765
To follow up on my original thread, I attempted to get into the wiring to the windshield wipers/washer to tap into the power wire which is connected to the ACC but it is just too hard to do in the Axis. However, as I was mucking, I noticed the side view mirror adjuster and heater switch and “sure nuff” it is also connected to the ACC and it is a lot easier to get to. Just four small screws and the cup holder also comes out relatively easily allowing easy access to run the wires to the back of the dashboard. The two orange wires that run into the mirror heat switch are the power and ground. I don’t use the mirror heat very often in south Florida (like never) so that is perfect. Now I just have to wait for Amazon prime to deliver the USB port and I can install it. A lot better than running the wires all over the place.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #20

THOR #9328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
To follow up on my original thread, I attempted to get into the wiring to the windshield wipers/washer to tap into the power wire which is connected to the ACC but it is just too hard to do in the Axis. However, as I was mucking, I noticed the side view mirror adjuster and heater switch and “sure nuff” it is also connected to the ACC and it is a lot easier to get to. Just four small screws and the cup holder also comes out relatively easily allowing easy access to run the wires to the back of the dashboard. The two orange wires that run into the mirror heat switch are the power and ground. I don’t use the mirror heat very often in south Florida (like never) so that is perfect. Now I just have to wait for Amazon prime to deliver the USB port and I can install it. A lot better than running the wires all over the place.
Nice...great find. Thanks for the update
Bruce