Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
Change exterior faucet to sprayer

We have an exterior kitchen with a mini-fridge and a small faucet & sink. I'd like to add a sprayer to the sink, if that's possible, or replace the faucet entirely with a sprayer. We do not have an outside shower.

I want to be able to rinse off greasy cooking utensils with hot water outside before bringing them inside to wash in the larger kitchen sink.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
Several ways you can go about it. A trip to Home Depot will get you everything you need. If you only want a cold water sprayer; a "T" in the cold water line will get you what you need in the way of supply. Various plumbing adapters can you hooked up to even a garden hose with a spray head. "T", on/off valve, adapter to hose of your choice.

Another way to do it would be to replace your current faucet assembly with a residential unit that has the pull out spray head. That would leave you with the ability to mix hot and cold to your desired temperature and still leave you with a kitchen faucet.

The last resort would be to replace you current sink faucet with an RV sprayer kit. You can find them at any RV supply online or brick store front. You'll loose the faucet for the sink, but, will have the spray assembly that you see on most RVs.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #3

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
Several ways you can go about it. A trip to Home Depot will get you everything you need. If you only want a cold water sprayer; a "T" in the cold water line will get you what you need in the way of supply. Various plumbing adapters can you hooked up to even a garden hose with a spray head. "T", on/off valve, adapter to hose of your choice.

Another way to do it would be to replace your current faucet assembly with a residential unit that has the pull out spray head. That would leave you with the ability to mix hot and cold to your desired temperature and still leave you with a kitchen faucet.

The last resort would be to replace you current sink faucet with an RV sprayer kit. You can find them at any RV supply online or brick store front. You'll loose the faucet for the sink, but, will have the spray assembly that you see on most RVs.
Hi, webslave. I would like a sprayer long enough to rinse things on the ground, away from the RV and would like to have hot and cold water to regulate the temperature.

My existing exterior faucet and sink are pretty small so I'm not sure I have room for a residential faucet with a sprayer. I may have to go with your last resort. As small as the faucet and sink are, I don't it being of much use anyway, other than cleaning your hands.

Our RV is currently in the shop and we hope to get it back sometime this week. When we do, I'll try to post a picture to show you how much room there is and the size of the existing faucet.

Thanks so much for your response and suggestions!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

THOR #1567
Another option and I apologize for not thinking of it earlier...

You can buy an adapter that fits onto your faucet in place of the screw in aerator. It will allow you to connect any hose with the standard hose fittings:

www.amazon.com/Claber-8587-Quick-Fit-Tap-Connector/dp/B008YQQUJW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477376972&sr=8-3&keywords=faucet+hose+adapter

You could then get one of those self coiling garden hoses and any sprayer head and you would then have both, a regular sink and a hose for spraying down the kids, dogs, what-have-you with the ability to control hot and cold. A self cooling hose and spray head would probably fit, for travel, in the sink.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
Old 10-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

THOR #5561
Quote:
You can buy an adapter that fits onto your faucet in place of the screw in aerator. It will allow you to connect any hose with the standard hose fittings:

You could then get one of those self coiling garden hoses and any sprayer head and you would then have both, a regular sink and a hose for spraying down the kids, dogs, what-have-you with the ability to control hot and cold. A self cooling hose and spray head would probably fit, for travel, in the sink.
YES!!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for - not having to remove the existing fixture (because I don't know how easy it is to access the underside of the faucet). Now I just hope that I have enough room between the faucet spout and the sink bottom. This is awesome, webslave!

I'll try let you know as soon as we get the RV back (today or tomorrow?). But I may not have much time to work on it because we need to restock it for our camping trip this weekend.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

THOR #1567
Shop around for similar devices...some may be shorter, some may have the hose connection on the side (like a "T"), etc. Lots of different designs to get the same results.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
Old 10-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

THOR #5561
Quote:
Shop around for similar devices...some may be shorter, some may have the hose connection on the side (like a "T"), etc. Lots of different designs to get the same results.
As a matter of fact, I found this yesterday and just ordered it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it will be perfect! I never would have known to look for something like this without your help, webslave. Thank you SO much!!

I'll let you know how it turns out after I receive and install it..
Old 11-26-2016, 04:12 AM   #8

THOR #5561
Sorry for taking so long to post. After having the RV in and out of the shop, waiting on parts & troubleshooting a leak, I finally got the diverter installed. It works GREAT! So nice to be able to rinse things off outside & not make a mess in the RV or fill up the grey water tank.

Here's what it looks like. (Sorry but I don't know why the 2nd pic loaded sideways and don't know how to rotate it here).

I ordered the diverter from Amazon for appx. $17 & got a separate hose & sprayer from Camping World for about $25 combined.

Thanks again, webslave, for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6318.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	3417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6316.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	3419  

Old 11-26-2016, 04:17 AM   #9

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Make sure when you winterize your coach that you disconnect all these parts to get all the water out.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:20 AM   #10

THOR #5561
Oh by the way, Home Depot & Lowes did not have a handheld sprayer with an on/off lever that would fit the shower hose that attached to the diverter. They only had shower heads (no on/off lever) that fit the hose.

And thanks for the tip, pappydude!
Old 11-26-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you winterize using antifreeze all you have to do is make sure you get pink stuff out of both (the faucet and the shower wand).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Dosbirn, What a Great idea! Looks very good, easy to install, and much longer than a pullout sprayer! You are a fricking genius!!! I am definitely going to copy your idea!
Old 11-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Home Depot & Lowes have a separate shower head shutoff , its usually in the section with replacement shower knobs & other repair parts.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #14

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you winterize using antifreeze all you have to do is make sure you get pink stuff out of both (the faucet and the shower wand).
Gotcha! Thanks, JamesGeek!
Old 11-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #15

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Dosbirn, What a Great idea! Looks very good, easy to install, and much longer than a pullout sprayer! You are a fricking genius!!! I am definitely going to copy your idea!
Awesome! Webslave pointed me in the right direction for parts. I didn't know the diverter existed until he made the suggestion.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #16

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Home Depot & Lowes have a separate shower head shutoff , its usually in the section with replacement shower knobs & other repair parts.
The 1st Home Depot I went to, the guy sold me a kitchen sprayer & shower head kit & said it would work. In my head I questioned it because it didn't seem logical. Well it didn't work. So I returned those parts to another HD & this 2nd guy told me they didn't carry a sprayer to fit a shower hose. He suggested I try Camping World. Before going there, we stopped at Lowe's on the way and their inventory was pretty much the same as HD. I could have gotten a shower hose at HD or Lowe's but I wasn't sure what CW would have.

If you can find a link for the sprayer you are referring to, maybe it will help SuperD or others here?
Old 11-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #17

THOR #5561
Quote:
Btw, SuperD, the same manufacturer of my diverter, SmarterFresh, sells a bidet kit that has a hose, sprayer & some type of diverter. I saw it after I had already purchased all my stuff. I think it was about $42. I don't know how to link it from my phone or I would post it here for you. It may be all you need.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Dosbirn, I scrolled down on the Amazon page and looked where it said "related items" and saw several different sprayers like you mentioned. Have a big "honey do list" to take care of today! Tomorrow I'm going to look over the sprayers, decide on which one I like, and then order. Thank you again for the Great idea!!!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #19

THOR #5561
Quote:
Dosbirn, I scrolled down on the Amazon page and looked where it said "related items" and saw several different sprayers like you mentioned. Have a big "honey do list" to take care of today! Tomorrow I'm going to look over the sprayers, decide on which one I like, and then order. Thank you again for the Great idea!!!
It's great for us. So nice to know someone else can benefit from it.