Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Adding a generator outlet

Guessing others have done this... Looking to add a standard female generator outlet (as found on portable generators) to easily tap into RV Genny power when needed...

Ideally would use to run a single extension between RV and generator input outlet to transfer switch for emergency house power...

Looking for suggestions on where to tap in... At Genny? At entrance to transfer switch? Other? Where to mount outlet? Anything else to be aware of...

Thanks!!

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #2

Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Nevada
THOR #5275
Isn't there an outlet on the side of the RV? Just use the exterior one and turn off the the stuff that you don't use inside. Then you are covered with insurance as opposed to a "custom" solution.

I also have a Honda 2000 for occasional stuff. The Honda seems to use less gas than the RV generator.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #3
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepetroski View Post
Isn't there an outlet on the side of the RV? Just use the exterior one and turn off the the stuff that you don't use inside. Then you are covered with insurance as opposed to a "custom" solution.

I also have a Honda 2000 for occasional stuff. The Honda seems to use less gas than the RV generator.
I ran 3 different extension cords - each on different 15a breaker in RV to house during power outage following Irma. Want a better way with just a single 220v 30a connection into a transfer switch...

Yes, I have a portable Genny as well... But couldn't get gas to refill mine after burning the 15 gal I had.... While the RV had over 60 gal available to it's Genny and got us thru the rest of the power outage.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:

If you have a transfer switch it will transfer the load to the generator when it is running. That would cut off AC power from the shore connection. So no generator power should go out that connector.
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

Why wouldn't you be "covered with insurance" regardless. Insurance does protect you against yourself and any unwise things you may do. There is no "stupid" clause in any insurance policy, except maybe the suicide clause for the first 2 years in a life insurance policy.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
If you have a transfer switch it will transfer the load to the generator when it is running. That would cut off AC power from the shore connection. So no generator power should go out that connector.
He's talking out an "outlet" on the outside of the MH, not the SP in connector. Threw me for a loop at first when he said "connector".
Old 11-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
He's talking out an "outlet" on the outside of the MH, not the SP in connector. Threw me for a loop at first when he said "connector".
Yep, I see that. They were talking about the 110V outlet on the outside. I took that to mean they were trying to feed power back out the twist-lock shore power connection.

Thanks, John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
gmc

THOR #2829
Sorry if i caused confusion...
Not talking about backfeed in anything...
Just a new 30a 220v 'generator outlet' on outside of RV to be able to easily use the Genny power.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Our Onan 4kw's output is only single phase, 33 amps max.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Our Onan 4kw's output is only single phase, 33 amps max.
True for your Axis - a 30A rig...
My Onan 5kw has 2 30amp breakers for output - 50A Hurricane.

I wouldn't be looking to run any true 220v appliances anyway - they would all likely draw too many amps to allow anything else to run.

Sounding like no one has done this... so I'll poke around the rig some more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #11

THOR #6582
Greg, I found this discussion that addresses the issues. In trying to back-feed your residential panel you would have to add an automatic transfer switch to prevent a live condition at your service entrance (or up the line/pole/etc) and a hazard for utility workers, as is done with standby generators. I envision a 2p 30a breaker and separate waterproof outlet, under the RV, thru a heavy gauge extension cord to a "scatter box" as used in construction. That could have breakers for further down stream protection.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Adding outlet to generator to power home circuits

Here's a more complete how-to: http://beamalarm.com/Documents/motor...tick_home.html
Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
220v draws fewer amps than 110v. Half as many amps.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
gmc

THOR #2829
Thanks for the links gnach...
I know what I need on the house side - already in progress so I can use the portable generator more easily (used it with normal extension cords after Irma - and would prefer a 'cleaner' setup for future)...
The natural extension seemed to be using the MH genny as power source.

Going to see if I can fit another (double) breaker into the AC distribution panel - and just run an outlet to the side wall of RV from there.I do like giving the genny a chance to stabilize before dumping the load on it - and the normal transfer switch in the RV will do that.

If not - I'll look at other options...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:35 PM   #14

THOR #6582
You should be able to find a thin setup to replace 2 regular sized breakers with 4 poles, that is if you remove 2x 15amp, your new breaker would be 15-30-30-15, with the 30s tied together. Easy replacement. - Gary
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Guessing others have done this... Looking to add a standard female generator outlet (as found on portable generators) to easily tap into RV Genny power when needed...

Ideally would use to run a single extension between RV and generator input outlet to transfer switch for emergency house power...

Looking for suggestions on where to tap in... At Genny? At entrance to transfer switch? Other? Where to mount outlet? Anything else to be aware of...

Thanks!!

Didn't many older motorhomes have a female plug right at generator? In those cases it was used in lieu of a transfer switch, which was inconvenient because it required connecting and disconnecting frequently. I've used that kind of setup quite a few times.

In your case if you're only looking to power your house occassionally, perhaps a manual plug in a similar manner might work simply.

Wiring would need to be a little different because I'm assuming you'd want to keep the MH powered during hurricane.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
So apparently you are treading on new ground here so you will have to engineer it yourself. You will need a L14-30R receptacle like this:

Which you may want to paint to match your RV color scheme if you mount it on the outside.

If you just want to put it inside a compartment then this could work:

Add some 10 gauge wire and snake it to your transfer switch and tie in where the generator input ties in. You may need to get larger wire nuts.

That should be all there is to it unless you want to add an additional inline breaker to the receptacle, but since your generator already has breakers, I don't see the point.

I may do this on my ACE just for flexibility but I only have a 4000 watt so just 120 VAC 30 Amp.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
......cut.....

Add some 10 gauge wire and snake it to your transfer switch and tie in where the generator input ties in. You may need to get larger wire nuts.

That should be all there is to it unless you want to add an additional inline breaker to the receptacle, but since your generator already has breakers, I don't see the point.

.....cut......
For something that might get used once every few years, I'd keep it simple like that.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
For something that might get used once every few years, I'd keep it simple like that.
Agree with yall, however, remember that you need to buy the correct wire size based on the length from the house connection. 10 guage will carry 30 Amps, but will only maintain the needed voltage for a certain distance. Measure the complete distance, then check a wire website, Southwire for example, for the recommended wire size.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Agree with yall, however, remember that you need to buy the correct wire size based on the length from the house connection. 10 guage will carry 30 Amps, but will only maintain the needed voltage for a certain distance. Measure the complete distance, then check a wire website, Southwire for example, for the recommended wire size.
Voltage drop is a good point. I assume he was talking about only a couple of feet to plug. I'd probably use a standard 50-Amp RV plug and that way could buy a standard 50-Amp extension cord to run to house. When not needed for hurricane it could be used to extend distance to CG pedestal.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #20
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Voltage drop is a good point. I assume he was talking about only a couple of feet to plug. I'd probably use a standard 50-Amp RV plug and that way could buy a standard 50-Amp extension cord to run to house. When not needed for hurricane it could be used to extend distance to CG pedestal.
Yes... Talking short distance... just a little more than the width of the RV to reach the wall - since it is positioned to 'receive' power from the house already...

Leaning towards using the L14-30R connection so it is compatible with my portable genny as well. But an interesting thought to use RV plugs/cable - going from hurricane use to Hurricane use...

Its an investment I hope I don't need to use often... But my portable genny has paid for itself many times over with the use it got in Michigan. Didn't have the option of having the RV at home there. Now that the RV is co-located with the house - and having had to make use of it once already - just preparing my options...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)