Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Vegas 25.5 Refridgerator Replacement

Thinking about replacing 2 way RV Fridge with residential type refridge. Want to operate fridge when on shore power but also want it to be powered during driving/travel mode. Biggest question is inverter requirement to provide 110v while driving. Appreciate comments
tdpinokc

Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I wouldn't put a residential fridge in there--the space is too small.

I'd go with a compressor type RV fridge. Then you don't need an inverter, no leveling required, it would run at high altitude, and it would likely fit quite nicely in the space that is already there.

https://norcold.com/product/polar-10...-refrigerator/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:21 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Thinking about replacing 2 way RV Fridge with residential type refridge. Want to operate fridge when on shore power but also want it to be powered during driving/travel mode. Biggest question is inverter requirement to provide 110v while driving. Appreciate comments
tdpinokc
Yes, unless you buy a 12 volt fridge, or run the generator In actuality, the 12 volts fridges have an internal inverter similar to what Tesla cars use (3-phase variable frequency) as a true DC motor is not very efficient. With a conventional 120 volt fridge and separate inverter, the coach's alternator charges the house batteries, the inverter converts the 12 volt battery power to 120 volts A/C and the 120 volts powers the conventional fridge.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 05:58 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I bet you will lose resale value when you try to sell it eventually. Residential fridges are inefficient, so they use a lot of DC power which isn't good for dry camping.

Even DC compressor fridges like the Norcold mentioned above use 50-75 amp hours daily, three times what my Axis uses with its absorption fridge.

Anyone with a DC or residential fridge that wants to mostly dry camp, has to spend a lot of money on lithium batteries, a lithium compatible charger and maybe a DC to DC charger to protect the alternator from being overloaded. $2,000 in parts at least.

What is wrong with your absorption fridge that has you considering this change?

David
Old 12-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #5

Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #22279
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I wouldn't put a residential fridge in there--the space is too small.

I'd go with a compressor type RV fridge. Then you don't need an inverter, no leveling required, it would run at high altitude, and it would likely fit quite nicely in the space that is already there.

https://norcold.com/product/polar-10...-refrigerator/
Thanks for the link, we've been pondering same - did not know these were available in the size we require.