Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #6206
Adding locking gas cap

I replaced the factory gas cap with a locking style and now a warning light, representing the factory cap appears on the instrument panel. This worries my wife that the sensor being attivated is a problem. I like my gas being locked up!
Anyone else done this or have thoughts?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Your locking cap isn't sealing. The dash light is part of the emissions system saying that there is a gas vapor leak. With the OEM cap you can get the light if it isn't on tight enough.

There is nothing dangerous with this its basically just saying that you're polluting a little bit more with the gas vapors escaping.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I don't know if Oregon has any kind of safety inspections like Texas does, but in Texas they test the gas cap annually, if it doesn't seal it doesn't pass the inspection, or if any warning lights are lit on the dash such as "check engine", gas cap or air bag.
I also can't remember the last time I heard/knew of anyone having gas stolen from their vehicle, we had diesel stolen from equipment at work, but not the gas vehicles.
Most all of the newer vehicles you don't have to remove the cap to fuel up, just shove it in the spring loaded flapper.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I added a locking cap to my 2000 Infinity (past RV) - not so much to add the lock as I lost the cap (left on pump somewhere along 1000 mile trip) and figured I might as well at that point...

It sounds like you may have just gotten a bad cap... No reason it shouldn't seal just like the factory one.
Of course auto parts stores rarely (can I say never?) have proper listings for RV's - I had to try two (in their parking lot) before finding one that fit.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: California
THOR #7103
On our recent trip we also experienced the fuel cap icon on the dash. When we pulled off to refuel we discovered the cap was half way out of the threads. Did we not tighten the cap the last time we filled? Could the cap have worked its way out on its own? Or was someone just messing with us or trying to help themselves to some gas? We’ll never know I guess, but a locking gas cap is sounds like a good idea.

We tried a locking gas cap from Napa. Though it fit, it did not lock so we returned it. Camping World suggested we get one from Ford (we have the E450.) Question: Does the strap holding the existing cap need to be cut to remove the cap, or is there a way to save it and use it for the locking cap?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirka View Post
...Question: Does the strap holding the existing cap need to be cut to remove the cap, or is there a way to save it and use it for the locking cap?
There is a way to pop it off from the RV so it isn't left hanging there... but I didn't find a good way to re-use it on the locking cap back then.

I just got in the habit of placing the cap on top of the pump with the key still in it... (attached to the ignition key of course)... Never let me get far away without realizing I forgot it!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Rich,
I have a 2014 ACE. Lost and replaced the cap with a locking one. If you have the same rig, let me know, I'll look up the part number. Bought it from NAPA.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Georgia
THOR #6681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
I replaced the factory gas cap with a locking style and now a warning light, representing the factory cap appears on the instrument panel. This worries my wife that the sensor being attivated is a problem. I like my gas being locked up!
Anyone else done this or have thoughts?

This a typical problem when you replace factory cap with an aftermarket one. It happens 100% of the time from 1 hr to 1 week.
Only fix is to put factory back on. Sucks
Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboss View Post
This a typical problem when you replace factory cap with an aftermarket one. It happens 100% of the time from 1 hr to 1 week.
Only fix is to put factory back on. Sucks
Or try a better cap??
Had no issues with locking cap on my 2000 Infinity... and never seen an issue on my 2010 Wrangler... I believe I used Stant on the Wrangler - probably still have the box holding the original cap... Don't remember the brand for the Infinity - but likely the same.

Haven't added one yet to the 2014 Hurricane... and the newer vehicles with the 'flapper' it doesn't seem to be an option.

But you should be able to find one that properly seals...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)