Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Adding OTA antenna

Last fall we bought our own campsite about 15 miles from home on the river. It is in a flood plain so no building on the property and the previous owner already put in a 30 amp service for his TT on a pole high enough to keep it out of the water. River is dropping now but last week every square foot of the 2 1/2 acres was under water. The only negative is TV reception or the lack of reception. Yes we like to watch TV in the morning and late evening and the four channels we do get are not our favorites.
Where we park the MH is in a bit of a low place so that does not help. My idea is to put an antenna on top of the wood power pole and run the cable to the "cable" hook up on the MH. The MH has the wind-up Winegard antenna with the power switch in a cabinent and we are very happy with the reception when it is not blocked by trees or whatever.
Has anyone set up something like this and if so what kind of antenna did you use and is hooking into the "cable" outlet how you did it? That would be a lot easier than running the cable into a switch and "T" into the cable from the existing antenna. Thanks for any help, Jim.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Last year I replaced my cable box with Tivo units and one of them is OTA only. I bought an HD Digital amplified antenna and mounted it to the roof of my home. I get better reception now than ever with cable or Dish. There are considerations in selecting an antenna, such as directional or wide area depending on where the stations are broadcasting from. Where I am at they are all in the same direction so I went with a directional to get the best signal. There are websites where you enter your zip code and they give you directions to the stations. Click on the links below to take you to the web sites.

Antenna Web
Address

Adam Savage has a "How To" posted on his website that may help.

How To Get The Best Reception With Your HDTV Antenna - Tested
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I forgot one thing. After you have your antenna mounted to the pole, I believe you can plug it into your coach using the exterior port.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I’m going to replace my tv antenna on 2016 Thor axis 25.2 with a cell antenna and mount Mofi 4500 router behind TV. Does anyone know how large the hole is when I remove antenna. Or would it be better to just remove the coax and mount antenna over that small hole?
Old 09-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #5

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Just added new Poynting LTE antenna and wow I can’t believe it. Went from 6 to 7 MHz down to 36 to 41. Money well spent. Taking it to white ridge Sunday to check it there. We never have reception there. Wife won’t even go there because no reception. I’ll update next week