Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2021, 02:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Adding propane quick disconnect for grill

We upped our griddle game this summer with a Pit Boss 2 burner table top griddle since the Blackstones have been mostly out of stock. It runs off the 1lb propane bottles our smaller Blackstone Dash used but with two higher output burners it cranks through them in about 2 meals. I need to add a propane quick disconnect to the coach and splice it in to the existing system.

There's no copper or black pipe in the existing system, it's all 1/2" or 3/8" rubber hose. I think my best/only location to tee off of is at the manifold under the kitchen (pictured). From left to right the connections are fridge, furnace, range, and input from the tank on the opposite side of the coach.

The fridge and furnace are must-haves/don't want to screw up so I'm planning to leave those alone and add a tee to the line going to the range. Before I start taking things apart I had a couple quick questions about parts to be used.

1) These look like 1/4" NPT connectors and don't appear to be swivel type where I can unscrew the fitting from the manifold without being able to twist the entire hose. Am I going to have to follow one of these to the appliance and disassemble all the way back to this manifold to get it out?
2) Once I do get one of the lines disconnected from the manifold I need to tee off of it. I was thinking:
1/4"xClose nipple into the manifold
1/4"x1/4"x1/4" female NPT brass tee
Original hose threads back into the bottom of the tee
12ft 1/4" male NPT propane extension hose from the tee toward the back of the coach
Whichever fittings I need to convert the far end of the new hose into a quick disconnect

This didn't seem like a big project until I got to looking at how I'm going to get one of the lines off the manifold to tee into. The range is probably the easiest one since it's shorter and goes directly up but it is still well clamped and has a lot of spray foam insulation where it goes through the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210801_202041.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	32466  

Old 08-02-2021, 03:47 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I did this project a couple months ago. I bought a new brass tee... just like your plan. You need to unthread one of those manifold fittings. WARNING!! The threads have ORANGE Permatex high strength thread sealer... it is NOT red permanent thread locker!! I've read on forums where people make this mistake, and they're torching it, etc.

Yes... they are an S.O.B. getting them loose, but they WILL break loose using ONLY mechanical twisting force. The orange serves two purposes... sealing for leaks and vibration proofing like Loctite.

Just make sure you have a properly fitting wrench(s) and have patience. I bought all my fittings/hose on Amazon - including a small tube of orange Permatex... that's ALL you need on the threads to make a perfect seal... and they sure won't vibrate loose!

Let me know if you need any more details about my install... glad to help!
Old 08-02-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You will need to modify your Pit Boss to remove its regulator since you are trying to connect to already regulated low pressure in the MH. Many, many discussions on this in this forum.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I did this project a couple months ago. I bought a new brass tee... just like your plan. You need to unthread one of those manifold fittings. WARNING!! The threads have ORANGE Permatex high strength thread sealer... it is NOT red permanent thread locker!! I've read on forums where people make this mistake, and they're torching it, etc.

Yes... they are an S.O.B. getting them loose, but they WILL break loose using ONLY mechanical twisting force. The orange serves two purposes... sealing for leaks and vibration proofing like Loctite.

Just make sure you have a properly fitting wrench(s) and have patience. I bought all my fittings/hose on Amazon - including a small tube of orange Permatex... that's ALL you need on the threads to make a perfect seal... and they sure won't vibrate loose!

Let me know if you need any more details about my install... glad to help!
Thanks for the tips and about the Permatex, I was thinking I'd only need pipe dope or gas tape but might as well make it solid as OEM. Good to know I can unthread it from the manifold without having to disassemble the other end of the hose all the way to the range, that would have made this a real PITA.
I've got a trip to Menards in my future for a pile of fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You will need to modify your Pit Boss to remove its regulator since you are trying to connect to already regulated low pressure in the MH. Many, many discussions on this in this forum.
The good news is Pit Boss seems to have used the exact same regulator as Blackstone 17"/22" so it has the same threaded fitting into the griddle. Lots of adapter options there depending on how long of a hose I end up using.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
You can and maybe even should use orange permatex but I wouldn’t worry over much about it. My coach (SOB) system is assembled without it and I’ve used pipe dope or yellow tape a good number of times without problems.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I used 3/8” hose’s of different lengths as needed with their own female connect ends.
A splitter under the cooktop (which is on passenger side) to tie-in to the propane line, then the rubber propane hose down thru floor and out the side.
Used a plastic cover plate on outside of wall, a square plastic container on inside of wall to house the quick-connect fitting & extra 6” of hose.
Sourcing the parts at a reasonable price was the most challenging.

Here’s a post I made after completion…
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=63
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9588FE03-61B6-4033-B2E6-867887DF8A66.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	32473  
Old 08-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #7

THOR #16721
Here's pics of my install. Shows Tee fitting in manifold, quick connect mounted under edge of RV (vertical, not horizontal), the pre-made 10' hose with ends already installed, and the adapter installed on Sam's Club grill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210802_190920620.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	32478   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210802_191001977.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	32479  

Name:	PXL_20210802_191236949.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	32480   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210802_191246415.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	32481  

Old 08-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yup!
Try: www.propanegear.com to look for the parts you'll need.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

Model: Freedom Traveler
State: Kansas
THOR #19033
Since you are already downstream of your regulator and dealing with low pressure you can cut a hose a few inches from tee and put a hose bib tee with either crimpon fittings or double hose clamps. Save a lot of aggravation and cussing. and work very well
Old 08-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #10

Model: Freedom Elite 23H
State: Virginia
THOR #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Here's pics of my install. Shows Tee fitting in manifold, quick connect mounted under edge of RV (vertical, not horizontal), the pre-made 10' hose with ends already installed, and the adapter installed on Sam's Club grill.
In your picture, it appears that the quick disconnect hangs well below the edge of the frame.

Aren't you concerned that it will make contact with the road and be damaged, like when crossing a RR track or something?
Old 08-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Actually it's an optical "delusion"
It hangs down less than factory installed connectors. And my step would bottom out long before the area where it's mounted (see pic).
Bonus: It's not even noticeable when just walking by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210808_121610141.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	32667  
Old 08-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley1 View Post
In your picture, it appears that the quick disconnect hangs well below the edge of the frame.

Aren't you concerned that it will make contact with the road and be damaged, like when crossing a RR track or something?
That’s why I drilled, with a hole saw, an orifice for the connector to be protected in (Post #6).
On the back side of the wall, behind the plastic cover, is an enclosed plastic box (a 6” square x 4” deep plastic food container, fastened and sealed to sidewall).

That said, it’s not essential, and Chateau_Nomad can always add if he desires.

For me, it’s just a more professional/OEM look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3572AA39-F4E8-4175-A731-0737CCF60A1E.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	32668  
Old 08-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #13

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
I have a grill we used on our boat. It uses the Coleman little green propane bottles that screw on. The only control is built into the part I attach the bottle. Can I put a quick release adapter on and use my MC supply? My Aria already has one in the basement. Thanks
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
That’s why I drilled, with a hole saw, an orifice for the connector to be protected in (Post #6).
On the back side of the wall, behind the plastic cover, is an enclosed plastic box (a 6” square x 4” deep plastic food container, fastened and sealed to sidewall).

That said, it’s not essential, and Chateau_Nomad can always add if he desires.

For me, it’s just a more professional/OEM look.
I like it!!
Old 08-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
I have a grill we used on our boat. It uses the Coleman little green propane bottles that screw on. The only control is built into the part I attach the bottle. Can I put a quick release adapter on and use my MC supply? My Aria already has one in the basement. Thanks
As mentioned previously; you will need to remove the regulator/bottle attachment and replace with a low pressure valve assembly if you can find one that will fit your grill.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #16

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
As mentioned previously; you will need to remove the regulator/bottle attachment and replace with a low pressure valve assembly if you can find one that will fit your grill.

Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #17

State: Illinois
THOR #2402
Quote:
Excellent point don’t forget this!
Old 08-09-2021, 10:40 PM   #18

State: Illinois
THOR #2402
I went the extra mile and put two shut off valves in one at the grill where the connection is (by the quick connect) and the other inside my basement where the hose comes from this way malicious folks won’t fire it up and drain your gas … if you leave it out