Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #5410
Tire minder monitors on rear tires

We have a freedom elite 22fe. We want to install the tire minder monitors but are having trouble doing it on rear tires. We can't access the inside tire without an extender my tire guy doesn't really think these work well but will install whatever ones I buy. I am going to tire supply store and want advice on what I should buy. The tire minder recommends solid steel type rather than flexible mesh

Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I assume you are saying your tire guy doesn't think the valve stem extenders work that well, and he is not saying that a TPMS doesn't work that well.

I have also read some folks have had problems with slow leaks when using metal valve stem extensions. I am putting my TPMS on this week. It has the flow-thru sensors so for now I am not going to put is on my inside duals, just the outside ones, front tires, and two trailer tires. When I have a new set of tires put on in a couple of years I will have long metal stems put on the inside duals then.

I agree if you do buy some though they should be solid metal. My sensors are big enough that they would probably cause the valve stem to flex while under way if made of flexible material or rubber.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I have the TireMinder (non flow through) attached to 'braided mesh' extensions on the rear dual tires - Have had no issues with leaks or from the weight of the sensors. Worth the peace of mind to be monitoring them all to me.

(Second RV with the braided mesh extensions on the rear - and never had a leaking issue.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
my solution was rigid extenders and stabilizers like these, which are basically "rubber" flanges that fill the hole
Dually Valves - Stabilizers

I had trouble finding extenders long enough and ended up ordering some on ebay, but in the end it all works well.

I'd like to have the duallyvalve long valves installed, but at this point I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle unless MAYBE if you're doing tire work anyway
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Tire valves

I had the same frustration with mine - couldn't even really check my pressure with a dual tire gauge because of the wheel simulator. I've heard many stories of problems with valve extenders and with no spare I want to do everything I can to avoid issues. I decided to replace the valve stems with bolt on long stems with stabilizers for the long inner valves. The full kit came from "Your Tire Shop" in California and cost $110. My local tire shop installed all four for another $100. Not cheap but hopefully it'll be problem free. I'm using the TireMinder TPMS and like it fine. Don't know why Ford doesn't supply them this way! Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #6

State: New York
THOR #5410
Tpms

We decided to replace the valves to be able to get at both tires for monitoring, putting in air etc.