Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
State: California
THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
The roof is mostly 3/4" plywood, although there are some areas with sheet metal.

I used the "drill-less" solar mounts with rigid panels.
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-MT.../dp/B01LWASUU1
I also looked at these mounts for my 2022 Vegas, but not sure if these are good for TPO rubber roofs. Is the glue just holding to the thin layer of TPO? Seems risky, I think screws are needed.
Is your roof top also TPO rubber?

Thor doc shows specific areas where roof has metal backing and only recommends those areas for attaching stuff. This limits coverage area for solar panels. I'm trying to put 3x 200W ACOPower panels on.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #22
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
I also looked at these mounts for my 2022 Vegas, but not sure if these are good for TPO rubber roofs. Is the glue just holding to the thin layer of TPO? Seems risky, I think screws are needed.

Thor doc shows specific areas where roof has metal backing and only recommends those areas for attaching stuff. This limits coverage area for solar panels. I'm trying to put 3x 200W ACOPower panels on.
TPO is NOT rubber"

Thermoplastic Polyolefin is a single-ply roofing membrane whereas EPDM is an extremely durable synthetic rubber roofing membrane (ethylene propylene diene terpolymer).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #23

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:

Hey!
I did what I did. You see the photos.
That was installed in Spring-2019. So 2.5 years and 15K miles.
Everything looks good, feels very secure.

If you feel like you need to put one screw in each of the two front facing mounts for each panel…then you should do it.
I used Sikaflex adhesive because reviews I read said it held great.

And when I upgrade the current panels in the future with different size & Mount locations, I won’t have any holes in the TPO roof to worry about.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #24

Model: 2022 Vegas 25.6
THOR #24413
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I used Sikaflex adhesive because reviews I read said it held great.
Have you considered VHB tape as a primary adhesive and then Sikaflex adhesive/sealant around the edges?
Like shown in this guide https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/so...el-mounts.html

I wonder if there is enough curvature in the roof to prevent VHB from making enough contact area.
Sorry for all the doubts, I'm just starting my RV life and these decisions are scary to me. I have no problem ripping out all electrics and redoing all of it my way, but when it comes to roof mounts I'm terrified.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:11 AM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Have you considered VHB tape as a primary adhesive and then Sikaflex adhesive/sealant around the edges?
Like shown in this guide https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/so...el-mounts.html

I wonder if there is enough curvature in the roof to prevent VHB from making enough contact area.
Sorry for all the doubts, I'm just starting my RV life and these decisions are scary to me. I have no problem ripping out all electrics and redoing all of it my way, but when it comes to roof mounts I'm terrified.
I understand your hesitancy.
The easiest install is flex-panels secured with Eternabond tape.
- more expensive & shorter life span than solid panels
- but lighter weight by about 10-12#
- also, they tend to heat up on the underside without air-flow so less efficient. Some have mounted on plastic corrugated display panels, then taped to roof as a way to improve cooling

There are many threads on this Forum with different mounting options.
Use the SEARCH function.