Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Satellite dish in Axis

I've searched this and, after reading and watching videos on this, I'm more confused than before I started.

Just bought a DirectTV portable sat. tripod mount dish. Our '17 Axis 25.5 has a standard King Jack antenna booster, like the one pictured.

I plan to use one of our existing DirectTV receivers in the Axis.

So, can I attach the cable from the portable dish to our outside cable port?

Can I then attach the input cable on the receiver to the male cable connector on the front of the King power booster?

Then, I would assume, the HDMI cable from the DirectTV receiver to a TV.
Will this work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	King booster.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	18803  

Old 07-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

THOR #4802
Follow up to my above post on DirectTV

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now the rest of the story".
I tried the tripod mounted DirectTV dish with one of the receivers from home. Didn't work. After lots of internet research and talking with a couple of vendors I leaned that DirectTV is very user un-friendly to RV'ers. Couldn't make it work, so scrapped the the whole DirectTV idea. Switched to DISH TV, both for home and for use in the Axis. DISH is much more user friendly in RV's, much less complicated and easier to set up and use. Ordered a DISH TV Tailgater antenna and Wally receiver and installed it yesterday. Took a couple of hours, including making a plywood base for the Tailgater that I'll mount on the tripod.
Everything is pretty much plug & play, called DISH for them to activate the Wally and, like magic, within less than 20 min, had satellite TV going in the Axis. With DISH's pay as you go plan, you just activate your RV receiver for 30 day increments, for $7. per mo., and deactivate it when you're not using the RV. So far, I'm a happy camper!
Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
sounds good, and by the way, I've found that with portable antennas, you don't really need any tripod or mount or base, as the unit acquires the satellites automatically and doesn't really 'care' if it's flat, or level... it just works, even if it's on the 'rounded' roof of your RV, or the 'not so flat' grassy area of the yard, etc.
You can sit these antennas basically anywhere and they will work.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #4

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
sounds good, and by the way, I've found that with portable antennas, you don't really need any tripod or mount or base, as the unit acquires the satellites automatically and doesn't really 'care' if it's flat, or level... it just works, even if it's on the 'rounded' roof of your RV, or the 'not so flat' grassy area of the yard, etc.
You can sit these antennas basically anywhere and they will work.
Using tripod to keep it off the ground above splashed dirt, mud, sand and passing male dogs (our's included) who may decide to "mark" it . You never know where a puddle might form in an unfamiliar RV site. I had the tripod and needed a use for it.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #5

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Glad you got it all figured out. BTW you didn't mention this, but may already know; you can reactivate your receiver with an authorization 'hit' at any time from their website. No need to talk to anyone or give all of the serial number/Smartcard info, etc. You just sign in to your account and search for the Dish on the Go area and request the re-authorization on-line. Saves a lot of time.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #6

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Glad you got it all figured out. BTW you didn't mention this, but may already know; you can reactivate your receiver with an authorization 'hit' at any time from their website. No need to talk to anyone or give all of the serial number/Smartcard info, etc. You just sign in to your account and search for the Dish on the Go area and request the re-authorization on-line. Saves a lot of time.
Thanks for this tip. Good to know.