Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6698
Adding wiring to side-out in 24.1

I am in the process of making upgrades in anticipation of this traveling season. One of the things I am doing is to replace the sofa in my 2015 Axis 24.1 with a set of recliners from Rec Pro. That's pretty well documented in the forums here and I do not anticipate any problems.
BUT I am also going to update the inadequate Jensen stereo with a much better system. I'll be installing a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX head unit, a Rockford Phosgate amplifier, 6x9" speakers in the front cabin area, 6.5 Phosgate speakers in the bedroom and, finally, a 10" self powered JL Audio subwoofer. I would like to hide the subwoofer and the amplifier behind the recliners, where the tabletops and legs are stored. Those items will move up to the overhead bed area.
I am wondering about the wiring issue of locating something in the slide out. I know I will need additional length in the wires to accommodate the in and out movement of the slider, but how should I route them in order to keep the wires from being caught in the mechanism or being exposed in the cabin? I've found where the factory wires come into the slide out: through the armrest that is next to the bathroom. I just can't tell if there is something in there that keeps a light tension on the wires to keep them from pinching during extension/retraction of the slide out.
I will need to run speaker wires x 4, 3 RCA audio pair cables, 8 gauge power and ground cables, 4 gauge power & ground cables and a small gauge (18 ga.) remote signal wire. It's a lot of wiring, but it will be worth it to be able to actually hear my music over the road noise and to have high quality music to listen to in our campsite when relaxing or reading.
I appreciate any and all help on this perplexing issue.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
In my coach for the front slide, the wires (120 Volt and speakers) are in a hard plastic sleeve that has a arch in it. The sleeve is constrained only by the bathroom wall and the dinette slide wall. The distance between the walls in 1.25". The slide a 24" slide and I estimate the sleeve is about 28" long. The inlet and outlet of the sleeve are separated by an inch horizontally and 3 inches vertically.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I don't think there is anything there to keep tension on the wires. I think they are just laying there on the slide with enough slack to not be a problem.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote