Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Virginia
THOR #26801
Radio Dash MOD

Good day everyone,

We have had our 2015 Challenger 37LX a few months now and have been on a couple of trips. One the things we dislike the most is the position on the radio. Not only can't either of us see it when driving but surely can not change the channel while driving without taking the seat belt off.

The attached picture show that the bottom of the radio sits 5 1/2" back from the front so getting a 8"-10" screen that can be angled towards the driver is impossible.

My question is has anyone delt with this issue before? My initial thought is to make a panel to bring the factory radio out even with the rest of the dash and then extend the radio outward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	38676  

sidekick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

Model: Hurican 34P
State: Maryland
THOR #17588
Rob, What are you trying to achieve?

As this may or may not help you. Whether they are bad radio’s or bad angle of screen or position of the radio. (I have no idea what engineer designed these, but I am 6’4”, I can not lean or look over in any safe position while driving) A lot of us have gone with external monitors. I only use the external monitor for backup and side camera’s (Mirrors are a better friend, but hey the cameras are there). I have a phone mount, for streaming music and backup GPS in line of sight. I also use a separate GPS, for the wifey (she's been telling me what to do for 34 years why stop ). I never felt the need to upgrade or change out my radio, as with my modification, it’s not needed.
Hope this helps.
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:50 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Some replacement radio units have remote control. Some have purchased from Crutch field.