Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Illinois
THOR #3491
advice on after market steering stabilizer

Just bought my ACE 29.3 and have read many people's blogs on what to install to address wind and steering. I am confused on what I should get for my RV.

I mean I have heard pros and cons by Safe-T-Plus, Truecenter and Roadmaster. Not knowing a lot about RV as this is my first, all three items look like just a big shock absorber with the road master looking a little more durable and Truecenter adding electric.

Then other blogs talk about installing sway bars in the rear. I heard Hellwig as well as air shock absorbers.

I am new and just want to have a smooth safe trip in my new RV and welcome any advise you guys have.

Thanks
Steve

Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
You will find that people have installed and like each brand. I have not purchased a unit myself, however, I do plan on buying the Safe-T-Plus. I prefer the more simple design.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
Congrats on your new rig.

To be quite honest, I think you should just take it for a few trips before buying a Safe-t-plus. I just bought a 2016 Axis and it doesn't have the steering stabilizer installed yet. I just got back from a 1000 mile shake out trip and I gotta say the rig drove like a dream. I did have the alignment done at a professional truck shop.

Get a good feeling for your rig and how it reacts in certain conditions. Take it from there and then determine what you need. This is my second coach and I learned one valuable lesson: What one need and what one wants are two different competing forces.

You will have a safe and smooth trip if you get organize, you plan ahead, and you drive patiently. Enjoy the ride...
Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not mentioned above: Before you do anything else get an alignment--see if you can get your dealer, or Thor to foot the bill (if you're unwilling to pay for it yourself).

Then take it on a few trips to see if you feel you need more...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Load the coach for travelling, get it weighed, set the tire pressure to the recommended PSI for the actual weight of the rig and then get it aligned. After that take it for a drive and determine what you like and dislike about the handling then go from there.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:52 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
We are so looking forward to our adventures in a new Thor Axis 25.2 and we should receive the 2017 E-450 chassis version in about 1 month. We have never had an RV or even rented one so we’ll be complete newbies. I’m aware will need to get alignment done with the RV “loaded.” I’m curious. Has anyone used judiciously placed large ice chests filled with water to simulate a full load to achieve the “loaded” alignment condition without actually loading all the RV trip “stuff” and filling all tanks?
Thank you again for all the outstanding advice we have already received from this resource including Ed’s absolutely excellent manual.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
We are so looking forward to our adventures in a new Thor Axis 25.2 and we should receive the 2017 E-450 chassis version in about 1 month. We have never had an RV or even rented one so we’ll be complete newbies. I’m aware will need to get alignment done with the RV “loaded.” I’m curious. Has anyone used judiciously placed large ice chests filled with water to simulate a full load to achieve the “loaded” alignment condition without actually loading all the RV trip “stuff” and filling all tanks?
Thank you again for all the outstanding advice we have already received from this resource including Ed’s absolutely excellent manual.
I wouldn't use water in ice chests since it sloshes around and if the ice chest is perfectly sealed you may have a mess to clean up. I rally with folks that have used exercise weights and some have used sandbags. The answer to your question is yes other forms of weight can be used. Myself, I find it easier to load the coach for a trip one or two days early and then take it in for alignment. A good alignment tech can then compensate for the weight of the driver and passenger if they don't allow me or my wife in the coach when the alignment is performed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

THOR #2121
I think part of the problem is that we have become accustomed to driving cars with precise rack-and-pinion steering, which have much more direct steering feel.

Large trucks (and hence typical motorhomes) use a different type of steering gear which doesn't feel as precise. That along with driving a big box on wheels takes time for the driver to adjust.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Agree with that statement completely. Same idea when it comes to driving a lifted 4x4 with oversize off-road tires.... different animal all the way around. It does take some getting used to. Even the simple task of making exaggerated turns so you don't scrub the right rear tires on the curb...
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Handling

I agree with your statement Chance. It takes some getting used to because it is not a "normal" sedan. You also have to learn to make wider turns so you don't scrub rear tires on the curb or run into the curb. I also think that driving a bit slower on the freeway is a must even though I always see RVs, especially large travel trailers doing 75 to 80 mph even though the law still says 55. I stick with the old saying that the point is to get there safely rather than not making it at all due to an accident that could have been prevented.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #11

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
steering stabilizer

I have installed the safe-t-plus and aligned the front end. My local Ford dealer did the install and alignment. Safe-T-Plus is not just for driving comfort. My main concern was a tire blowout at highway speeds, and maintaining control of the coach. The you-tube videos showing superior steering control with the safe-t-plus unit during a front tire blow-out are amazing. Cement trucks, tractor trailers, motorhomes and other heavy vehicles were outfitted with this unit, and steering control was easily maintained when a tire was blown with a blasting cap. In my opinion, nothing for the money can ensure safety as confidently as a steering stabilizer like safe-t-plus. There are several on the market at varying price ranges and complexity. The simplest of them is the safe-t-plus. It also has a lifetime guarantee, and is not complicated to install, though it is time consuming to get the proper adjustment.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I had a Safety-Plus installed on my MH, the front end aligned and
the front tires rotated side to side (at 5K) and I have a rear track
bar on order right now. Of course my MH is 35 feet long.
But keeping the front tire pressure set at the correct amount is also
important. Mine is kept at 95 psi and the rear tires at 100 psi.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #13

THOR #3491
Thanks for your input. We are headed on our first adventure this week. Nowhere far but will get me an idea what I may need. I will get the MH weighed and aligned when I get back.

To me I think the Roadmaster is more durable and easier to install as the Safe-T-Plus has that extra centering factor when installing which seems to be a pain. So I guess the real question is what is the difference between the safetplus and road master as far as features?
Old 05-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #14

THOR #3491
Went on our maiden voyage and what a lesson learner we had. Anyway so this is what happened with my coach. Every time we went over a bridge or a truck passed us, I found myself over steering to keep the rig straight. Also our buddy driving behind us noticed the rig was swaying on top.

I just bought a road master RSSA and will install for the steering issue, but was wondering if I should install a rear sway bar for the other issue or will the RSSA be enough? My thought is install the RSSA and I have two more short trips before my big one to Colorado, and if it stills sways after my short trip install the sway bar. Any advise would be helpful.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3611
My wife and I just bought our ace and had the same issue with the wind and big rigs. I looked up options and kept seeing post about a "cheap handling fix." I had it done on both front and rear and was a huge difference. Been 5k miles since and is actually enjoyable to drive. Wife wouldn't even think about driving it before the CHF and now drives most of the time. Google it and you will find more info. I,m not mechanically inclined so I had someone do the front for me and I saw how simple it was and had a mechanic friend help do the rear (which was actually a little more intricate). Never had to by a stearing stabilizer.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #16

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysteve View Post
Went on our maiden voyage and what a lesson learner we had. Anyway so this is what happened with my coach. Every time we went over a bridge or a truck passed us, I found myself over steering to keep the rig straight. Also our buddy driving behind us noticed the rig was swaying on top.

I just bought a road master RSSA and will install for the steering issue, but was wondering if I should install a rear sway bar for the other issue or will the RSSA be enough? My thought is install the RSSA and I have two more short trips before my big one to Colorado, and if it stills sways after my short trip install the sway bar. Any advise would be helpful.
Ford specs show your chassis should have come with a 1.4-inch diameter rear sway bar. I'd personally start by confirming that first.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4119
By Chance is correct; Axis 24.1 has the rear stabilizer. Safe-T-Plus is a great front steering stabilizer.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #18

State: Michigan
THOR #3954
advice on after market steering stabilizer

We're adding several suspension upgrades on our Miramar to improve overall handling: Roadmaster front and rear anti-sway bars; Safe-T-Plus steering control; and SuperSteer rear track bar.

While together they contribute to better handling, be aware that each addresses a specific and different driving control issue. You may or may not need each piece of the puzzle to arrive at what you want.