Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
My Equalizer levels automatically. I just push the button and it does it's thing. I can go outside and watch it if I want to but it's pretty uneventful.
You can buy the Bigfoot levelers in either manual or automatic versions. The manual version was about $800 less, so I went with the less expensive one, for that and because I liked the idea of having full control over the process. The auto system is more complex (4 pumps, 4 jacks, control unit, etc), and I figure the simpler the better.

I paid less than $3k for my system which includes installation, and Michigan Tax (the Quadra/Bigfoot factory is also located in Michigan).

The auto system was about $3.7~4.5k, depending on installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Question on the Bigfoot EZ:

"The EZ design utilizes one pump assembly that operates the four jacks in pairs."

You can't control the jacks individually?

Bruce
You don't want to control just one jack at a time, as that could twist or stress the frame.

Bigfoot's manual jacks use one pump, and control jacks in pairs. Either the two front, two rear, two driver side, or two passenger side.

The Bigfoot auto jacks have 4 individual pumps, each controlling a separate jack, but electronically they run in pairs.

In either case, the jacks have to maintain equalibrium so they don't stress the frame.

For example, if you lift the front end, both front jacks begin to extend. And when the first jack touches the ground, it meets resistance and stops and waits for the other jack to touch the ground. This maintains equilibrium, and keeps from stressing the frame by lifting one corner and not the other.

In the single pump system, this is done hydraulically via balancing the hydraulic pressure between the jacks connected together. In the 4 pump system, it is done electronically. While Bigfoot seems to know what they are doing and makes a fine product, I liked the idea of maintaining equilibrium hydraulically rather than electronically.

So after the front jacks both touch the ground and just begin to lift the coach, you stop. Then you lower both rear jacks down together. The same equilibrium process occurs for the rear, with the rear not raising until both jacks touch the ground.

At that point, you lift the front, rear, left, or right side by selecting the jack pair you want to lift. Everything stays in equilibrium at that point and again, prevents stressing or twisting the frame.

I'm sure all of the brands work similar because the control panels I have seen look like the controls are for the Front, Rear, Left Side, Right Side, rather than jacks at the 4 corners. But I only know about Bigfoot for sure.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #82

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Thanks, that answers my concern.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
....And when the first jack touches the ground, it meets resistance and stops and waits for the other jack to touch the ground. This maintains equilibrium, and keeps from stressing the frame by lifting one corner and not the other.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Kind of cool to watch.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:39 AM   #84
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: California
THOR #1675
Operating jacks individually

You really don't want to operate the jacks individually because doing so can cause your frame to twist and possibly pop your windshield out of its frame. The jacks operate in pairs so this won't happen. You can operate any pair that you want ie. Front two, right two, rear two, or left two. By doing this you can level your coach in any situation.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #85

Model: Citation 29TB
State: Texas
THOR #1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
This is mostly for JoeT, but also for anyone else that is interested.

I was a bit disappointed in the range the wireless transmitter would function for the levelers. It's not too bad, but there are some spots around the outside of the coach where it won't work. Mostly towards the rear.
My receiver is in the compartment mid way on the passenger side where the pump is. I can operate the levelers from the driver's seat or outside. I do lose the signal outside at the front and near the rear.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #86

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
FW28Z (or any others,
Did you consider the elctro mechanical options in your research at all? Such as
Bullseye Leveling :: Home

.... just wondering your thoughts on them as an option to the ones you chose.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I did not look at the electro-mechanical systems. My hydraulic cylinders hsve a 12000lb capacity each.

I see that the Bullseye levelers can do up to that amount, but I think the wiring to each motor would be awfully expensive.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #88

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Axis Levelers

Last year i posted that installed the Bullseye Levelers on my 2015 Axis, to date i haven't experienced any problems, I don't have a hydraulic pump, hoses any of that, my jacks fold up against the frame so they don't hang down like the hydraulic rams do. when i was researching the all the options out there i decided on the Bullseye system because if you own the Axis or Vegas storage is minimal plus the chassis is low to the ground and didn't want to drag the jacks on the ground. I live in Alaska and the camp grounds we dry camp in are not well maintained or paved like the lower 48 camp sites are.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #89

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015axis View Post
Last year i posted that installed the Bullseye Levelers on my 2015 Axis, to date i haven't experienced any problems, I don't have a hydraulic pump, hoses any of that, my jacks fold up against the frame so they don't hang down like the hydraulic rams do. when i was researching the all the options out there i decided on the Bullseye system because if you own the Axis or Vegas storage is minimal plus the chassis is low to the ground and didn't want to drag the jacks on the ground. I live in Alaska and the camp grounds we dry camp in are not well maintained or paved like the lower 48 camp sites are.
what was the cost ballpark for that electric system?
Did you have to run heavy gauge wiring to each jack?

I checked their web site and there's not a lot in the way of photos or details about it....