Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Aftermarket Levelers

We are seriously considering adding aftermarket Levelers to our Class C Four Winds 28Z. There are 3 major players in this market. LCI, HWH and Bigfoot. What has been everyone's experience with adding the levelers? Is anyone really any better than the others?
I know that this will reduce payload and possibly some ground clearance. My feeling is that the trade offs are outweighed by the convenience of the system.
I'm leaning towards one of the systems, but will wait to hear from the group.

Thanks and help me spend some serious cash.

JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I have several friends that went with the Big Foot. They are very happy with them, and great factory support
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:19 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I too am definitely interested in adding a leveling system. Dealer wants $5500 to add them, and I'm not sure what brand he was suggesting. I do recall they were hydraulic, not pure electric.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:12 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Bigfoot has a factory installation facility in Lakeland. That's a plus. Our Vegas has HWH that we had installed before we took delivery. Alliance in Wildwood is the only installer for them in Florida, according to the HWH website. Or, you could have the HWH factory in eastern Iowa install for you.

We're quite satisfied with the HWH. Our last coach had Bigfoot installed as standard equipment, and it was satisfactory, too.

It does add some weight, but the kick down levelers that we have do not reduce the clearance any. It's been worth the money for us and the way we travel, but it wouldn't be a good value for everyone.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

THOR #1907
Thumbs up BigFoot

Yes Indeed, I have chosen to go with Bigfoot Levelers. On Monday night the 19th my coach will be fully equipped with the automatic Bigfoot Levelers system. Just called today and Bigfoot of Florida over in Lakeland was able to schedule the installation. I'll keep all up to speed how it goes and what we think of the system.
Thanks to all for your input.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #3441
Bigfoot

Great experience with install team and sales.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

THOR #1907
Thanks to all. Looking forward to having this system installed Monday.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Be interested in your impressions after installation. Your going for the bigfoot levels, right. Those are the ones I'm considering for my Gemini, and they, bigfoot, make them specifically for the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #9

THOR #1907
Laco,
Yes we are going to purchase the Bigfoot Levelers. I am having BigFoot of Florida do the installation. I will post my experience with the installation and the product. It will probably be a two part response. We have a trip planned for the end of the month, so we should have a good idea of how they work for us by the 4th of July.
All of the information I have been able to glean about both the product and the vendor are very positive. Time will tell.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #10

THOR #1907
The first half of my impression

As I said before, my evaluation of the BigFoot levelers will be on the installation process and customer service of the installer.
All I can say is I am impressed with Roy at BigFoot of Florida. An outstanding gentleman. The installation process was efficient and smooth. They had me some in under 7 hours and did an outstanding job. After finishing, they were very thorough on instructions on use if the system. Can't say enough good things about the process.
Next will! Come the actual product evaluation after our trip coming up next week to Illinois to visit grandkids. We will be doing more travelling than camping. Drive, stop for the night and then repeat for 3 days or so. The levelers should prove to very valuable in that situation. After we get up to Illinois, I'll write about our experience.
Again, thanks to all for your input.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your report.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I suspect that you made a good choice by not going with LCI. The jacks on our system are poorly designed and prone to leaking.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #13

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I wanted levelers but the deal we found didn't have them. Thought seriously about going the same route that you did with Bigfoot Florida.
That was a few years ago now. It was a good bit of money and I was struggling to justify in my own mind....and never even really tried to sell the idea too hard to DW.
Overtime, I became more concerned about adding yet more weight to my already heavy MH
and I have found that I have not really needed them all that many times.
So, I have yet to do it, but would still really love to have them.

Do you happen to know how much weight it added, and how it distributed to the front and rear axles?
Old 07-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #14

THOR #1907
BigFoot update 2

I wish we had done this a long time ago. It is so nice to get to the campsite and hit the auto level button and the coach is level with no rocking or swaying.
The entire weight of the system according to Quadra is 280 lbs. Not sure about front to rear, but my guess would be almost equally distributed between front and rear since I bought the 4 pump system. The one pump system is about 90 lbs less weight.
So far no problems with scraping the feet on any of the roads we traveled. They are well tucked up under the coach.
Expensive, yes, but to me at my point of life and how we use our coach, it was money well spent. Perfect, no, but very solid and easy to use and retract. If you have the yellow lego block style wheel levelers, don't throw them out, the work great with the system. Sometimes you just need a little more height under the feet and they worked great.
Would I do it again, yes. No questions asked.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 AM   #15

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
I have been thinking about a leveling system for my Axis for sometime the worst part for me and my wife because I had some health issues is trying to get our camper level was not aware that bigfoot had a service center in Florida I'm in South Carolina, 4 pump versus one pump I guess I'll call them and ask what that means. I was thinking between 4 and $5,000 sure wish it was cheaper than that and it should come on all motorhomes
Old 07-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #16

THOR #1907
At this stage of our RV life, it was the right choice. I do not yet have physical issues that prevented me from using the plastic block style leveling, but we do not know what tomorrow will bring. Besides, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing. The leveling system only enhanced the experience.
You are spot on with the pricing. The Platinum system will save you some money up front. Your choice.
I enjoy the stability that they provide. Our dog jumps of the bed and previously the coach rocked when she did, now no movement at all. Makes all the difference in the world.
In South Carolina you are in a good spot to use the factory installation also. Plan on an entire day for the install.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #17

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it went well. I think they are worth the expense in many ways. My first coach did not have them. My current one does and I really appreciate them.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:10 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
We didn't have levelers on our first two motor homes, but RVs with slide outs are difficult to level because of the weight sticking out so far from the springs and tires. When our levelers didn't work I had to over compensate on the slide out side so the RV would be level when the slide out was deployed.

Levelers are useful when working under the RV, such was when changing oil or running wires for electrical circuits. Also in windy situations, the RV remains more stable than if it was parked without levelers.

Best of luck with the levelers.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Hey, Jim, thanks for your report. As I have said before, for us and the way we travel, the HWH levelers we had installed in our Vegas have been money well spent. Set the brake, push the button, and zip, coach is level and stable. Then Mrs S suggests we move the coach over a few feet, no problem! Easy to raise the jacks and reset. How does that go? "Happy wife, happy life!"

Even with the cost of the leveling system factored in, the Vegas has been a great purchase for us. Nothing I've seen on the market today suits us better.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #20

THOR #1907
Gerry, your comments have hit the preverbal nail on the head. Get the coach that works.for you and then make it yours. It is what we are doing with ours.