Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Sequence 20a
State: California
THOR #28430
AGM batteries to Lithium

I need information on what batteries I have ? I have a 2020 Thor Sequence 20A and it’s been great. It’s been 2 years and the batteries are are dying and I think one is already dead (chassis) . Are they 12 volt 100 amp ? Also ,can I just drop in lithium batteries in without updates to the solar charger and solar controller ? Can I buy batteries that have more amp hours than 100 amp hours ? I’ve found out that if your having any issues with anything in your rig , just turn it off for awhile and let it reset , also you can just pull the fuse out and let that reset. This has worked on dashboard problems and the air conditioner. I was in flooring for a trade and if you see marks on the pure vinyl floor or brown stains ,it’s nails or staples rusting underneath (water overflowing) ,sorry no fixing, replacing or rug only solution. Rugs are your best option

Old 11-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by jechan209@gmail.com View Post
I need information on what batteries I have ? I have a 2020 Thor Sequence 20A and it’s been great. It’s been 2 years and the batteries are are dying and I think one is already dead (chassis) . Are they 12 volt 100 amp ? Also ,can I just drop in lithium batteries in without updates to the solar charger and solar controller ? Can I buy batteries that have more amp hours than 100 amp hours ? I’ve found out that if your having any issues with anything in your rig , just turn it off for awhile and let it reset , also you can just pull the fuse out and let that reset. This has worked on dashboard problems and the air conditioner. I was in flooring for a trade and if you see marks on the pure vinyl floor or brown stains ,it’s nails or staples rusting underneath (water overflowing) ,sorry no fixing, replacing or rug only solution. Rugs are your best option
Contact Thor and they will tell you what batteries you have.
Mine came with 27 group.
NO, you can't simple put lithium because all your system is designed/set for flood lead batteries.
Your solar charger probably have a setting for Lithium but your converter probably doesn't.
Also, you can theoretically burn your engine alternator going strait to lithium.
Easiest way is to use AGM batteries.
I changed my original flooded batteries to AGMs this year and they are really great. Plug and play.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:36 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I don’t know your coachs specically but I did a LiFePO4 conversion last year in my Magnitude SV34 going from four 6V flooded batteries to (5) 170Ah batteries from BigBattery for 850Ah.

To properly do a conversion to LiFePO4 batteties propely, you typically need to change your Converter / Charger to one that supports lithium charging. Unless you have an Inverter / Charger where it should be able to be configured to charge LiFePO4 batteries.

If you have a BIM that allows your alternator to charge the housr battetoes while driving, you would need to change it to an Li-BIM 225 or a DC-to-DC Charger if you want to charge thrm while driving.

I also rewired my coach so I could run any circuit off my Inverter/ Charger so now I can run one of the two A/C’s and my oven, etc. when I don’t want to run the generator off thr grid.